Deer Butcher's

View attachment 11339
Picked up my assorted hardwood smoked game meats yesterday (halloween).... good quality & tasty..

honey garlic pepperettes, 1 batch of bear and another batch wild duck...and
elk ring bolognas and caribou hungarian sausages over summer sausage is a personnal choice...both r good

I can also share the big venison salamis from Mt Brydges abatoir are very good too...yep there still making them..

Looks great Mick. Evelyn's Sausage in Sheddon is also making smoked Hungarian sausage and its very good.
$200 for a deer cut ground wrapped to the freezer is good value for nice clean venison.
I still remember when it was $20/deer at the abattoir on Hyw 22.

If anyone wants to see how you skin and break down/butcher/cut/wrap a deer I'd be game to show you. Just give me a shout.
Im not an expert, but I can do a pretty close job and I've done a bunch.
You just have to take your trim to a butcher to have ground. I use a friends commercial grinder but Evelyn's will grind/bag/freeze it cheap.

Lots of deer going through that place. I just could not stop my deer off at a place like that.. How do you know you are getting your own meat back.. I spend extra time up keep my meat clean and cooled off properly.i like to cut it up myself .

heres where my corn fed buck hung for just over 4 days...in a controlled temperature walk in cooler...
quality venision cut & wrapped to my instructions, picked it up sunday am...along with a hat & crest...
IMG-20181111-WA0002.jpg

as of sunday noon mapleton taxidermy Dave is busy too with antlers & hides and a pile more coming he said....

20181111_122750.jpg
20181111_123211.jpg..

my buddy Jeff & his wife that had to work through the week.. both shot there bucks sat. & sun...he took them in skinned to a local home butcher set-up in his garage...he charges $65 a deer flat rate cut & wrapped and gets his meat back tommorrow...

Had a bad experience over the last week took pounds of venison to a well known butcher as I wanted pepperetts made. Trusting them as they have done them before for me. Last Saturday I picked up my box of pepperetts the order was for hot with a zing to them like before when they had done them . Payed in full I was driving along in my truck and was hankering to try them so I opened a pack and started in on the first one ….. waxy outer skin and what best to describe as .... basically dog food . Thinking that it was just a chance bad one I waited till I got home and opened the other packages and all were the same …. what a lunch bag letdown . I called the butcher and he assured me that the recipe was the same he checked my order slip and it was just as I stated hot and zingy . I told him he was getting the order back so drove there and he asked me to give him one . You should have seen the look on his face when he ate one . He asked me to come out back to see his production area and it was top shelf. Two new employees had started this fall and fell short of expectations. Numerous complaints … the cost of the hunt ...the cost of butchering ...gas … time wasted …. and the biggest waste was the deer meat... government inspected facility … and some one cant follow a recipe.... how sad is that … he made amends and loaded me up with his own product mild and xxxhot and then some. But the saddest part to me is waisted deer meat ….. hind sight is 20/20 and ill never leave a butcher without tasting the product first . Hope no one else runs into this problem just a heads up this problem is out there …. keep em in the crosshairs(+) boys …. one shot one kill ...cheers ….

hey @Edmcl sorry to hear you ended up with dog food for an order of fresh tasty pepperettes ...good for you to get right back to the shop owner, complain and at least you got them replaced with something satisfying..hopefullly you didn't take in to much more over the minimum weight for a batch..and your good cuts you saved will taste that much better...

Looks great Mick. Evelyn's Sausage in Sheddon is also making smoked Hungarian sausage and its very good.
$200 for a deer cut ground wrapped to the freezer is good value for nice clean venison.
I still remember when it was $20/deer at the abattoir on Hyw 22.

Took in 52# of deer burger to Evelyn's. Tried their version of pepperettes....great tasting. Got 20# pepperettes and the rest into 2 kinds of sausage; Hungarian and Hot Italian. Picked up on last friday and tried both sausages on Sunday on the BBQ. BOTH were excellent though a bit dry. Could maybe have had a bit more pork fat added. Hot italian (I am a spicy guy though....it has to be FRIGGIN' hot to register for me)...not hot but good flavour. Most of all, while I had to book my time to bring my meat in, they were very accommodating and pleasant to work with.

King Joe

I honestly think that butchering is part of the sport. It's not hard you can get directions in you tube if you need to. And if you have time to hunt you have time to gut and cut. It gives you a greater appreciation for the meat. And is part of the experience.

All well and good paddlemaker if you are doing the December Hunt but if it's November ? Sometimes the weather is too warm to hang meat so a butcher with a walk in cooler is a must. Also having the means to hang and skin may not be available to you. My brother has 30 plus years of being a butcher and we still use Carriers to process our kill. He said something about being on vacation so contract itout. LoL !

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks