Deer Butcher's

can't miss

Some buddies used a guy last yr and were very pleased, on the east end of St Thomas, Centennial ave area or maybe St T air port area, just wondered if anyone new of this guy and possibly had a number??
Any other suggestions are always welcome?
Thanks
CM

Do it yourself it’s pretty easy. Get someone to show you or watch some videos. It’s amazing how much more meat you seem to have when you diy!!

hello can't miss...sorry, I do not know the butcher your referring too here in st.thomas...

just to share..
my last local deer 2 seasons ago was done right to my instructions at Appin BBQ service..a drive west approx. 35 minutes from your ilderton area...I just called the owner Vic and his cut & wrap processing is $1 per lb for butcher wrap...$1.50 a lb for vacuum sealed...
He also capped out that buck and mapleton taxidermy Dave picked it up for a shoulder mount..
I also have his after hours cell number (519-476-5986) where I just called him at dusk right after the kill and gut job and take it to him right then...also his day time business number is 519-280-5000..

his shop does pepperettes & sausage and heard there good.. but never tried his...I am picking up a selection of smoked game meats next week from Highgate meats, also west located just off the 401, you have a choice of good butcher shops if your willing to drive a little...

hope that helps somebody out...good luck hunters.. have fun..

Last edited:
Hi Guys ...Yes I agree ...do it yourself.
My son just did his doe(tagged) and I helped him. It wasn't too hard at all, as compare to doing a moose, that we used to do. But we found you can not beat a "professional butcher" for the final package/ presentation.
However time and help are limited and for a few bucks, if done very well, the wife / or others think it' professional. and everyone is happy.
thanks

$1/lb cut and wrapped is still a good deal, esp with the quality of meat venison provides.
Saying that, I long ago took the time to learn how to properly break down, cut and wrap a deer. I was able to spend some time with pro butchers and learned a few tricks of the trade.
I can do a deer from skinned to cut wrapped to the freezer in a couple hours, depending on how fast I want to go. With my own deer, I'm really picky with trimming all fat and connective tissues,, so I'll poke away for an afternoon.
I tend to cut...
loin roasts, loin butterfly chops,
sirloin tip roasts, sirloin steaks, tri-tip
top round steaks, eye of round roast, bottom round for jerky..or sometimes all to ground if I want lots of burg that we use a lot at home.
shoulders to stew and ground, flat iron steak on a bigger deer (top blade steak)
brisket, flank, rib meat to ground (you can cut ribs and smoke or bake)
neck..either to ground or if a smaller deer kept whole as a neck roast (an overlooked delicacy)
shanks usually to ground however I've started to keep them and slow cook like lamb shanks--outstanding!!
All other bits and pieces go to ground.

Here's an archery doe I just got..yielded around 80lbs deboned, cleaned, trimmed.

Attachments

• deer2018butchered.JPG
    deer2018butchered.JPG
    109.7 KB · Views: 77
congrats DaveJ for filling your tag with an arrow..its nice to have fresh meat...are you still going out with the muzzleloader...

I am huntin the first week here in 92D...I was invited back down to hunt sparta after several years of hunting elseware...I was out last week for a good walk down there and theres plenty of deer sign and buck scrapes in my usual spots...hopefully the weather cooperates and i can kill a shooter with less time & effort

ya I used to cut up my own deer into steak & a few roasts and grind the hamburger with the manual crank...I am done fiddlin with silver skin...the going rate has been $80 a deer in the past...its easier and affordable

clocks go back 1 hour Sunday Nov.4th

congrats DaveJ for filling your tag with an arrow..its nice to have fresh meat...are you still going out with the muzzleloader...

I am huntin the first week here in 92D...I was invited back down to hunt sparta after several years of hunting elseware...I was out last week for a good walk down there and theres plenty of deer sign and buck scrapes in my usual spots...hopefully the weather cooperates and i can kill a shooter with less time & effort

ya I used to cut up my own deer into steak & a few roasts and grind the hamburger with the manual crank...I am done fiddlin with silver skin...the going rate has been $80 a deer in the past...its easier and affordable

clocks go back 1 hour Sunday Nov.4th
Yep still bowhunting and then the muzzleload hunt 92A in Dec. Love this time of year.
Shoulda been up moose hunting on Lake Nipigon all week but my well system went for a crap the day I was supposed to leave. New pressure tank, deep well pump, electronics..$3200 later I decided to stay local.

hello can't miss...sorry, I do not know the butcher your referring too here in st.thomas...

just to share..
my last local deer 2 seasons ago was done right to my instructions at Appin BBQ service..a drive west approx. 35 minutes from your ilderton area...I just called the owner Vic and his cut & wrap processing is $1 per lb for butcher wrap...$1.50 a lb for vacuum sealed...
He also capped out that buck and mapleton taxidermy Dave picked it up for a shoulder mount..
I also have his after hours cell number (519-476-5986) where I just called him at dusk right after the kill and gut job and take it to him right then...also his day time business number is 519-280-5000..

his shop does pepperettes & sausage and heard there good.. but never tried his...I am picking up a selection of smoked game meats next week from Highgate meats, also west located just off the 401, you have a choice of good butcher shops if your willing to drive a little...

hope that helps somebody out...good luck hunters.. have fun..

Yup I have gone to Appin for years, Vic is great does an awesome job, worth the drive, about 40 minutes for me.

Just got back from carls meats in burford filled my tag last night great guy and service after hours. I called him in the evening and he will meet you at the shop as he lives on the property. 5198616740

Attachments

• 20181029_060454.jpg
    20181029_060454.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 61
Give him a call .. adding a pecentage of pork will efect pricing for sasauge and your preferences .. enjoy ...

20181031_180455.jpg
Picked up my assorted hardwood smoked game meats yesterday (halloween).... good quality & tasty..

honey garlic pepperettes, 1 batch of bear and another batch wild duck...and
elk ring bolognas and caribou hungarian sausages over summer sausage is a personnal choice...both r good

I can also share the big venison salamis from Mt Brydges abatoir are very good too...yep there still making them..

congrats @Edmcl filling your deer tag with a crossbow..

yes good ol burford area...I remember many years back catchin my share of chunky spring browns in horner creek.. and I heard deer stories from an old fellow worker of a couple nice bucks he took archery.. same area...

Just got back from Carls MEATS that did my buck . total cost for the 85 lbs of meat … sausage.... steaks ..roasts..1lb packs lean ven. bags... packed sealed and boxed. 197$ - $50 for the skinning works out 147$. Start the BBQ!!!!!!!
20181103_100946.jpg

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks