Damn gun storage laws !

Old Cut LongPointer

Just pouring my first cup of Black Magic this morning and looking out the kitchen window there low and behold there is a Yote sitting in my backyard about 70 yards out ! Ay Carumba ! Run around and find my keys to the locker for the 22/250 , then find my Blammo, then mess around with the combo on the trigger lock and yup... he/she was gone !

So my question is ; I don't have livestock per se but do have a dog , can I keep a gun at the ready ? Not loaded but ready to go.

That would be frustrating, at least you weren't having to deal with two legged predators! Legally no, but you should be good to go with a trigger lock, or maybe on the kitchen table with cleaning kit beside it if you wanted to push the envelope?

Old Cut, goggle storage of non restricted fire arms CA (rifles and shot guns}. Look at paragraph 5, item item 2? Think you can have it ready within reason, unloaded but not locked, doesn't mention livestock, only predator protection. Sorry, I don't know how to copy and paste shit, and to old to learn??

If it’s bolt action you can have the bolt removed without a trigger lock on it

most of the bolts easily slide in
And a loaded magazine in a cupboard in the kitchen.

Reactions: CSM

Storage of Non-Restricted Firearms​

• 5 (1) An individual may store a non-restricted firearm only if
    • (a) it is unloaded;
    • (b) it is
      • (i) rendered inoperable by means of a secure locking device,
      • (ii) rendered inoperable by the removal of the bolt or bolt-carrier, or
      • (iii) stored in a container, receptacle or room that is kept securely locked and that is constructed so that it cannot readily be broken open or into; and
    • (c) it is not readily accessible to ammunition, unless the ammunition is stored, together with or separately from the firearm, in a container or receptacle that is kept securely locked and that is constructed so that it cannot readily be broken open or into.
  • (2) Paragraph (1)(b) does not apply to any individual who stores a non-restricted firearm temporarily if the individual reasonably requires it for the control of predators or other animals in a place where it may be discharged in accordance with all applicable Acts of Parliament and of the legislature of a province, regulations made under such Acts, and municipal by-laws.
  • (3) Paragraphs (1)(b) and (c) do not apply to an individual who stores a non-restricted firearm in a location that is in a remote wilderness area that is not subject to any visible or otherwise reasonably ascertainable use incompatible with hunting.

You need to render the firearm inoperable

easiest way to say that with bolt action is remove the bolt
Leave the firearm beside the door you see the coyote

Put the loaded magazine near the gun in a drawer with the bolt.

when you see the yote grab the rifle
Go to the drawer put the magazine In
Slide the bolt in open the door shoot the coyote! Hahaha
Hopefully it all goes as smoothly as it sounds

I agree you could argue that you’re storing it for predator control
But avoid those issues removing the bolt is fairly simple thing to do

and if you left the bolt in you would have to make the same motion to chamber a round
So removing the bolt makes sense to avoid any mishaps

The storage laws aren’t to protect you from getting in trouble by the police.

they are to keep you and everyone else safe from an accidental discharge of the firearm. Or if it falls into the wrong persons hands i.e. child, criminal, un trained adult.
Preventable firearms accidents and un lawful storage is Frowned upon in the firearms community gives legal gun owners bad names and is demonized in the media so best not to give the anti gun politicians and news outlets any fuel
For the fire!

especially when all we are talking about here to make it safe and legal is by removing the bolt push a button and pull the trigger it slides right out

and to put it back in is the same
Motion you will have to make when chambering a round it’s silly not to just do it

Last edited:
Thanks guys ! Thanks for posting the Regs Derkd9. I guess I was asking two questions in one ? The safe storage part I understood but the legalities of keeping a gun loaded for protection of livestock only applied to those with livestock. My "livestock" is a big old Chesapeake and at 105 Lbs. she could take on one Yote but a pack of them wouldn't be a fair fight. So you know now that by keeping a gun out I will never see that Yote again ? LoL !

Surfnturf ; I have chased two legged varmints with my truck once but when we hit 110 km/h I broke off the chase. No sense somebody ending up crippled or dead over petty theft. Gave an incident report to OPP with vehicle description .

The biggest issue with all the gun laws is that if something happens involving a gun and you are a legal gun owner, you will be charged and presumed guilty until you can prove in court that you aren't guilty. If you are not a law abiding member of society then you have all sorts that will be protecting your rights.

Yeah you have to be careful with confronting criminals, I chased down three guys that tried to break into my truck a few years back and ended up getting pepper sprayed for my efforts. I was just lucky that they ran after spraying me as I was totally done, couldn't see or breathe. They could have really messed me up or killed me without too much effort if they wanted to.

Yah in Canada there is no stand your ground law.
You’re going to get charged with murder if you kill someone protecting yourself, your family and property. You can’t legally own a gun for self defence in Canada

You don't have to have your guns locked up while you are home and in control of them. The problem you would have is you have to be so far away from a building to discharge a firearm.

My back deck faces my 50 acres of woods and I/we shoot off of it all the time. Heck ! We've killed deer in my garden. Down in the States they have that law but not in Ontario unless it's a municipal by-law otherwise we wouldn't get any hunting done because of houses everywhere. Worst is more people from the big urban areas want to move out into the country and are buying up everything they can; but that's another thread .

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks