CWS Tundra Swan Season Assessment

Tundra Swan

798 Highway 59, RR 3
Port Rowan, Ontario
N0E 1M0

August 15, 2013

Re: Canadian Wildlife Service Tundra Swan Season Assessment

Dear Waterfowl Hunters:

I am writing to you to share with you the good news that I received earlier this week from the Canadian Wildlife Service (CWS) regarding their recently completed Tundra Swan Season Assessment which appears to be very supportive of my Tundra Swan proposal.

Many of you will remember that I submitted my Proposal for a Tundra Swan Recreational Harvest in the Province of Ontario to Mr. J. Hughes (Head of Population Management, CWS) in October of 2010 and requested that my proposal be an agenda item at the next Ontario Waterfowl Advisory Committee (OWAC) meeting to be held in November of 2010.

Although my Proposal for a Tundra Swan Recreational Harvest in the Province of Ontario did not receive general support from the participating parties involved it was nevertheless discussed at that OWAC meeting ... the beginning of a long journey.

Following that OWAC discussion I established The Dr. Jerome Katchin Waterfowl Foundation with the Charitable Gift Funds Canada Foundation (CGFCF) in December of 2010 through RBC Dominion Securities in order to financially support the eventual implementation and monitoring of a limited (tag only) Tundra Swan harvest in the provinces of Ontario, Manitoba and Saskatchewan.

I then contacted Delta Waterfowl early in 2011 to inquire if they would be willing to support my Tundra Swan proposal. Although Delta Waterfowl did express some interest in my Tundra Swan proposal they eventually decided that my proposal was premature at that time.

Additional supportive documentation for my Tundra Swan proposal was submitted to the CWS as I was conducting my discussions with Delta Waterfowl. Much of this additional supportive documentation was included in a Tundra Swan presentation package that I posted on both the Long Point Waterfowlers Association (LPWA) and the Hunt Ontario (OOD) waterfowl forums seeking support from fellow waterfowl hunters ... specifically requesting that they submit letters of support for my Tundra Swan proposal.

I also delivered my Tundra Swan presentation to the members of the LPWA at our Annual General Meeting in April of 2011 at which time it was announced by a Long Point Waterfowl scientist that the CWS would be conducting a Tundra Swan Season Assessment. I had received an e-mail (sent to me by another waterfowl scientist) earlier that morning advising me of the same news. I subsequently contacted Mr. J. Hughes and he confirmed that the CWS would be conducting a Tundra Swan Season Assessment as well as providing me with the name of the waterfowl scientist who would be conducting the assessment should I require further information.

The members of the LPWA attending the Annual General Meeting in April of 2011 had an opportunity to review the information regarding my Tundra Swan proposal that was contained within the handout notes and complete a survey that was included with the handout notes. The number of completed surveys returned to me (at the meeting or subsequently by either hand or mail) indicated a 20% response rate (apparently double what can normally be expected with such a survey) and the contents of the completed surveys indicated that approximately 85% of the respondents were supportive of my Tundra Swan proposal with the remaining 15% either interested or partially supportive of it.

It should be noted that I contacted Ducks Unlimited Canada later in 2011 to inquire if they would be interested in supporting my Tundra Swan proposal. However Ducks Unlimited Canada, having a mandate for waterfowl habitat conservation, was unable to support my Tundra Swan proposal for that reason.

Although the CWS Tundra Swan Season Assessment was completed earlier this spring a departmental review of it was required prior to it being made available to the public. I was informed earlier this week that the departmental review had been completed and I was provided with a copy of the assessment.

I received permission from the CWS waterfowl scientist yesterday that I could distribute the Tundra Swan Season Assessment to interested individuals ... including within these electronic waterfowl forums.

In closing I would like to take this opportunity to thank those waterfowl hunters who supported me and my Tundra Swan proposal ... specifically those (including at least one American waterfowl hunter) who submitted letters of support to the CWS as this made a significant difference.

Sincerely,

Jerome Katchin, D.V.M.

PS The copy of the assessment that I received was a Microsoft "Word" attachment to an e-mail and I could not open it with my computer. My brother was however able to open it and "convert" it to a "PDF" attachment which I was able to open with my computer. If someone who knows how to post an attachment on this forum could e-mail me (thebuddyboy@hotmail.com) then I could send you an electronic copy of the CWS Tundra Swan Season Assessment for you to post on the "thread" that I have started.

Last edited:
Hello Guys,

I need some help with adding the PDF version of the CWS report to this thread.

In the meantime if anybody wants a PDF copy of the CWS report just send me an e-mail and I can forward it to you.

Jerome

Hello Michael,

I will probably get lost but I will try it anyways.

I will send you an e-mail if I have problems.

Jerome

Jerome is having a bit of trouble with his browser. Between that, the size of this PDF and his dialup service, I can see where there are issues getting this attachement posted. So, for Jerome, I am attaching the Swan Season Assessment here. Since I have a copy of Acrobat here, I was able to reduce the file size by about 25%. You will need Adobe Reader, version 9.0 or greater to read it. I suspect most people, if they keep their systems up to date will have version 10.0, however, if you can't read it, drop a note and I'll post the original.

Attachments

• Swan_Season_Assessment_(3)[1](a).pdf
    1,023.2 KB · Views: 11
Hello Michael,

Your assistance was much appreciated in this regard.

We could potentially have a Tundra Swan season by the fall of 2015 but the CWS must apply for the tags by July of 2014.

The Ontario Waterfowl Advisory Committee (OWAC) consisting of two representatives from the CWS, two representatives from the MNR and two representatives from the OFAH need to recommend a Tundra Swan season and then the MNR needs to request a Tundra Swan season ... then the CWS grants one.

If Ontario waterfowlers want a Tundra Swan season then they will have to let the OWAC members know it.

The Tundra Swan season will be expanding in the United States shortly and additional Trumpeter Swans may be included in this season.

Please take the time to read the CWS report as it expands upon what I have previously written about.

Jerome

PS I have no problems sending anybody a PDF version of the CWS report if you have problems with the above attachment.

Last edited:
798 Highway 59, RR 3
Port Rowan, Ontraio
N0E 1M0

September 13, 2013

Re: CWS Tundra Swan Season Assessment

Dear Mr. J. Malcolm:

Further to my previous letters regarding my Proposal for a Tundra Swan Recreational Harvest in the Province of Ontario I have posted the enclosed "open letter" to waterfowl hunters on the LPWA waterfowl forum.

I realize that you do not follow the "threads" on Channel 68 so I thought that you may be interested in the Canadian Wildlife Service (CWS) Tundra Swan Season Assessment that was conducted subsequent to the submission of my proposal.

Please distribute this letter with the enclosed "open letter" as well as the attached CWS Tundra Swan Season Assessment to the other LPWA directors as I do not have their e-mail addresses.

I would like to suggest that we have "A Tundra Swan Season In Ontario" as an agenda item at our AGM next spring with the contents of this assessment as supporting documentation.

We now have the potential for a limited (tag only) Tundra Swan season by the fall of 2015 as the CWS would have to apply for our tags by July of 2014.

Your assistance as well as the LPWA Board of Directors' support in this proposal (now that we have this assessment to support it) would be greatly appreciated.

I am available to meet with the LPWA Board of Directors to discuss this proposal further should you decide that this would be beneficial.

I thank you for your kind consideration in my request.

Sincerely,

J. Katchin, D.V.M.

Hi Jerome I see the brothel is up and running saw a couple of lovely ladies there on weekend see u Saturday

Hello Guys,

There is a good article in the Fall 2013 issue of Delta Waterfowl called "Big Birds - Big Rewards" on page 50 by P.J. Reilly. This article covers Tundra Swans, Sandhill Cranes and Common Eiders but I will just comment on the Tundra Swans in this post.

The Continental Tundra Swan Population is divided into two (2) populations:

1) Tundra Swans of the Eastern Population are hunted in Montana, North Dakota, South Dakota, North Carolina and Virginia. New Jersey has also been granted a Tundra Swan season but currently is not allocated any permits.

2) Tundra Swans of the Western Population are hunted in Alaska, Montana, Utah and Nevada.

There is currently a total of 9600 tags available for harvesting Tundra Swans of the Eastern Population.

The 2,000 tags available for Utah and the 650 tags available for Nevada mentioned within the article are for harvesting Tundra Swans of the Western Population.

The States of Alaska and Montana would also receive tags for harvesting Tundra Swans of the Western Population which the author did not mention.

The author stated that the USFW Service has estimated both Tundra Swan populations to be over 110,000 birds each in 2012. I had previously stated in 2011 that the Eastern Population of Tundra Swans was approximately 100,000 birds (25% above their Management Plan goal of 80,000 birds) and that the Western Population of Tundra Swans was approxinately 80,000 birds (33% above their Management Plan goal of 60,000 birds).

These numbers would suggest that there has been an additional 10% and 25% increase of the Eastern Population and Western Population respectively.

The Management Plan for the Eastern Population of Tundra Swans permit an increase of 25% in the number of tags available once the population exceeds 110,000 birds.

As indicated within the CWS Tundra Swan Season Assessment the USFW Service is currently assessing a proposed General Swan Season in the Atlantic, Mississippi and Central flyways that may include the limited harvesting of Trumpeter Swans as well as Tundra Swans.

I certainly hope that Canadian waterfowlers do not "pass up" this opportunity to enhance our hunting heritage.

Jerome

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks