Custom Ripplin Redfins

sorry my friend...ya lets get out there on a school of stupid hungry bows so I can break in my new reels..maybe I can field test the redfins too..ya the new ones there going to send me...

Last edited:
Mick--I have a collection of the older RRs from the early 90s...and yep most of my chrome blues are white plastic with a hint of foil...and a lot of tooth marks. Well chewed so no refund, but shows how effective they are. Still my go-to's esp off riggers or long-lining with Lead Zepplins

crummybun are u selling I got 2 for Christmas I think there yours I have lots to strip and paint let me know if u can do them

I had an old Wonderbread Long A last year that was so hot they ate it to clear plastic. So I called Wicked and had them make me 3 RRedfins in same color. Insane good. Yes everything worked out there last year but these were special. I mean like 3x as productive as my next best which was gold. That three pack is not only a great deal but my next three best colours.
So my question is then about spoons -what brand colour and finish ie copper, silver etc are you using? I cant catch spit on spoons or harnesses out there and yet pound them as good as anyone with bandits redfins bombers etc. would love to lesrn the spoon bite.

as an aside and in an attempt to limit posts as im already on sh#t lists over my progun views someone elsewhere asked about Stinger spoons. They are my go to on Lke O. I was fishing them when nobody heard of them and they are fantastic except the finish sucks. I paint mine with two part epoxy rod winding varnish to toughen them up. Wouldnt be without them on Lake O. Green bullfrog my secret weapon.

Cheers

Hey Harold..silver streak copper spoons have been consistant for many on erie season after season..
the walmart cracked ice copper below scores..new to me 2016 through a tougher walleye catchin season...and again first time out last season..sliders & riggers

ya the greasy chicken wing jrs..bump that size up to the minis size too...
in previous seasons those small jrs have worked well boxing those last few hard walleyes..ya i got my moneys worth..lol
GCW,& jerry lee & copper confusion are classic rainbow killers in the west..

walmart walleye killers.JPG august 03 2016 003.JPG august 03 2016 006.JPG theres just a few of many..to run a full spread and more

I don't hear alot about copper spoons in the east ... dover/nanticoke & LP..
Here in the west copper spoons has been around along time..glasgow erieau wheatly stanley..

last trip out sept. was off nanticoke where you were fishin Harold..lots of fish.. again on shiners orange n gold/ black n gold..ya 3X doubles again 2 on one rod slider/rigger
i won't forget that over weighted dover tug slowly making it back to port from the east that mid morning..

Last edited:
Something with orange was very strong this year.

This year I picked up a few BBQ Chicken SS spoons. They were absolutely killer, to the degree that I ran 4 of them at the same time.
BBQ CHicken.png
They never stopped working all season.

SS Greasy Chicken was very strong.

grsasychicken.jpg

I have a number or these GC in variables, Purple, Green Anti Freeze

SS Orange Crush, for some reason LC loved this spoon.

Orangecrush.jpg

Jerry Lee SS put fish in the boat.
F12654_Copper Jerry Lee!01 (2).jpg
This is the Michigan Stinger Red Chicken Puke, mine aren't as yellow as this and it also worked well.

MSRedCHpuke.jpg

I fished a few others as well, but the above lures went on the line a lot.

Confusion, but the Pink Anti Freeze version was a great "wake up the Walleye" if things died down after a while.

84-Confusion.jpg

Hardly ever put a body bait on, and if I did, it usually came off pretty quickly.

If I had the Fish Hawk in the water, 2.3 mph at the probe, otherwise it was sound, feel and GPS speed (around 3.0 mph) which I am not completely confident with.

Last edited:
Something with orange was very strong this year.

This year I picked up a few BBQ Chicken SS spoons. They were absolutely killer, to the degree that I ran 4 of them at the same time.
View attachment 20117
They never stopped working all season.

SS Greasy Chicken was very strong.

View attachment 20119

I have a number or these GC in variables, Purple, Anti Freeze

SS Orange Crush, for some reason LC loved this spoon.

View attachment 20120

Jerry Lee SS put fish in the boat.
View attachment 20121
This is the Michigan Stinger Red Chicken Puke, mine aren't as yellow as this and it also worked well.

View attachment 20118

I fished a few others as well, but the above lures went on the line a lot.

Confusion, but the Pink Anti Freeze version was a great "wake up the Walleye" if things died down after a while.

View attachment 20122

Hardly ever put a body bait on, and if I did, it usually came off pretty quickly.

If I had the Fish Hawk in the water, 2.3 mph at the probe, otherwise it was sound, feel and GPS speed which I am not completely confident with.
A nice selection of lure’s ? @hvyhaul and great information as well!! I have a few of those lure’s as well & thanks for sharing. ?????

@Elmerfudd… Lots of good advice already given but your non-success running spoons may be speed. What speeds have you tried trolling spoons? I vary the GPS speed between 2.5-3.1 mph but most days run in the 2.8 range. I run mostly Silver Streak Mini and a few Michigan Stinger spoons all with copper back over the silver back with great success in the Central Basin. On occasion I also use the smaller JR Streak (junior) spoons if the fishing is slow which is very seldom these days. Colours in Nascar, mixed veggies, blueberry muffin, pink panties, greasy chicken, purple greasy chicken, BBQ chicken, Kevorkian, red huckleberry, watermelon, Walmart, Tequila sunrise, confusion just to name a few but all work excellent depending on the day. Hope that's of some help. ?

@Elmerfudd… Lots of good advice already given but your non-success running spoons may be speed. What speeds have you tried trolling spoons? I vary the GPS speed between 2.5-3.1 mph but most days run in the 2.8 range. I run mostly Silver Streak Mini and a few Michigan Stinger spoons all with copper back over the silver back with great success in the Central Basin. On occasion I also use the smaller JR Streak (junior) spoons if the fishing is slow which is very seldom these days. Colours in Nascar, mixed veggies, blueberry muffin, pink panties, greasy chicken, purple greasy chicken, BBQ chicken, Kevorkian, red huckleberry, watermelon, Walmart, Tequila sunrise, confusion just to name a few but all work excellent depending on the day. Hope that's of some help. ?
Excellent
Excellent information @Wave Runner!! ? and a great variety of spoons!! I never started using junior spoons till last year,but anglers such as yourself and @Extra Virgin,@Dmanwithnoname etc., turned me onto the junior,(mini),size spoons,and I had great success BE27578D-D38E-4297-AADA-0318C391C5D5.jpeg 8874C610-62EF-4129-908F-FB8E070973D8.jpeg A42EA143-5181-42C4-9F22-322ABA8C5B1C.jpeg on them last year & I thank you all for sharing such a great tip!! ?????

I spoke with the guys at Angling Outfitters in Woodstock and it sounds like they won't be ordering in the Jr's for this spring. I know Steve at Lambeth rod and tackle has quite a good selection of all three sizes in stock right now..... Except my go to pink spoon "Confused Ho" in the Jr size (hint hint Steve!) "CJ special" is close but it ain't no ho ?

Excellent

Excellent information @Wave Runner!! ? and a great variety of spoons!! I never started using junior spoons till last year,but anglers such as yourself and @Extra Virgin,@Dmanwithnoname etc., turned me onto the junior,(mini),size spoons,and I had great success View attachment 20126 View attachment 20127 View attachment 20128 on them last year & I thank you all for sharing such a great tip!! ?????
Looking out the window with all the blowing snow here that bottom photo of you sitting in your Lund with a beautiful lake behind you sure looks inviting my friend. ???

I spoke with the guys at Angling Outfitters in Woodstock and it sounds like they won't be ordering in the Jr's for this spring. I know Steve at Lambeth rod and tackle has quite a good selection of all three sizes in stock right now..... Except my go to pink spoon "Confused Ho" in the Jr size (hint hint Steve!) "CJ special" is close but it ain't no ho ?
“Mmmm” @Extra Virgin the “Confused Ho” in the Jr size,eh!! I don’t believe that I have that one,(I will check my Jr size spoons) & it sounds like a winner & thanks ?!! my good friend 2ED3425A-2D36-44B4-9182-DFD8E019F23A.jpeg ??;) for another great “tip!!”?????

Confused ho on the left in mini streak, Cj special on the right in Jr & mini streak sizes.
IMG_20200118_1124146.jpgIMG_20200118_1124280.jpg

I think we might just get some safe ice after all to be hitting up the bay of empty ice fishing perch & crappie. Not sure if I love crappie as much as this guy though ??

IMG_20190216_1228395.jpgIMG_20190216_1228324.jpg

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks