crown marsh

Rookie55

can anybody tell me where you are allowed to hunt in Big Rice bay. I've never hunted there only because I was told part of it is private.
any info is appreciated

Part ? More like "most" of Big Rice Bay is private. I am quite sure that the Long Point Company, Big Rice Bay Club and the CWS have signs posted.
Online Norfolk County has an interactive map that shows property boundary lines that may help you but a scouting trip out there in daylight probably be best. I hope your rig is up to task as it can be a long ,rough, scary ride home sometimes.

Part ? More like "most" of Big Rice Bay is private. I am quite sure that the Long Point Company, Big Rice Bay Club and the CWS have signs posted.
Online Norfolk County has an interactive map that shows property boundary lines that may help you but a scouting trip out there in daylight probably be best. I hope your rig is up to task as it can be a long ,rough, scary ride home sometimes.
thanks for the info. I use a 16 foot v hull with a 40hP merc. no issues so far. I'll try find those maps on norfolk website and I'll post them for anyone else with the same questions I had

Hello Rookie 55,

I was out to Little Rice Bay for some layout hunting with my neighbour last week ... we had a 16 foot V hull with a 40 HP Yamaha outboard ... it was fine but the wind was not too bad ... out of the north west.

However it was still a "bitch of a ride" part of our way back to the causeway even with the wind decreasing in the afternoon ... so stay safe out there so that you can hunt again.

Jerome

I have not been out there in a few years.
But it was always clearly marked with white CWS signs.
There’s a short length of marsh that’s good in a south or south west wind. But no good in a east or north east wind.
Prob enough for two boats to set up out there in a good wind. You’ll need long lines on your decoys. Water is likely close to or over 6’ deep at the edge of the cattails.
And don’t worry about going into the CWS or the private marsh, it’s well patrolled and some one will arrive in a boat real quick to let you know your outta bounds.
Last I remember the signs went southward across the bay from a point towards a cottage and about 100 yards before it reached the shore they turn east.
Somewhere around the yellow line on this photo.

Attachments

• 39D607F3-D0C5-4781-AD30-7ADCCBFE1811.jpeg
    39D607F3-D0C5-4781-AD30-7ADCCBFE1811.jpeg
    143.7 KB · Views: 59
Fireram ; Your pic and info is good .

Rookie55; Again , do a day trip and check it out for yourself and see where the signs are. That interactive map from Norfolk County Office is a good tool but would not use it in a court of law. Also you may see where and how the guys that hunt it all the time are set up ? Hard to compete when you have 24 Cans/Reds/Blues or whatever to their 200-300 Cans/Reds/Blues.

Jerome ; I don't ever recall you using fowl language ? (Pun intended ) but seeing as you survived one of "those" trips you have earned the right to. LoL !

PS; There is another interactive map available on the Norfolk County website that has aerial photos of the County from the 1960's to 2000 something that you can slide the curser over and see a "then and now" picture of the same area.

That 2015 - 1964 comparison map is pretty cool,,
Neat to see all the channels they dug to service cottages, and some of the man dug duck ponds have almost disappeared.
Pre - DU project, and check out how much shore line is gone from the end of hastings drive to where the point meets the mainland.

Surprising to me tho is outline of the marsh is mostly the same, but in the black and white photo it would appear the bay had a significant amount of more submergant vegetation along the marsh.

Look how much farther out the point of little rice goes into the bay,, and are there two cottages along the east shore of Little rice bay??

Two cottages along east shore of Little Rice Bay ? You mean out on Thoroughfare PT ? There was Jonsey's Cottage which is in the small bay to the west of Little Rice ; is that what you looked at ? Story goes he punted for the Company and they rewarded his retirement with that place until his death. Strange is his name is not on the cairn in Port Rowan ? There was a hotel out on Thoroughfare a long, long time ago or it could've been a Long Point Company's keepers shack ?

Sorry. I should have said east side of little rice point. In the bay they call Jonsey’s.
I never knew why it had that name.
There’s a nice size shack near little rice point and looks like another down in Jonsey,s bay by the big willow.

Nice retirement gift.

Attachments

• 312A5E07-0D2F-4700-8867-C6E5192A2129.jpeg
    312A5E07-0D2F-4700-8867-C6E5192A2129.jpeg
    119.2 KB · Views: 45
And if you cant get in there due to weather head up big creek if you,ve got a good blind on your boat..as long as your north off the lakeshore bridge sat in there behind port royal cemetary greenheads just rippin up the river lately!

Fireram ; It may have been a fish shack on a barge that you spotted ? There use to be a lot them in use back then.

Winchestersx4 ; I will assume you can hunt the actual creek as it's a navigable waterway but doesn't the Bayou Club own property on either side of it ? Do they post it with their signs ?

Fireram ; It may have been a fish shack on a barge that you spotted ? There use to be a lot them in use back then.

Winchestersx4 ; I will assume you can hunt the actual creek as it's a navigable waterway but doesn't the Bayou Club own property on either side of it ? Do they post it with their signs ?
Yep they own the sides.. we anchor right in the middle set decoys out front and just wait for em to land in..had a run in with one off the managers..i had called norfolk county opp and a mnr officer and they made things clear to the manager that its legal...its a good shoot and fun!!

Hello OCLP,

I did not intend to use any foul ("fowl") language within my post as I did not consider "bitch" as a foul term ... my apologies if it offended anyone.

I thought that the term was appropriate to drive the message home using commonly used terms to describe such a trip in that weather..

Jerome

Great to here you are able to setup there.

Jerome ; You are a duck hunter , yes ? Duck hunters use "fowl" language. LoL ! No apology needed.
Now back to the OP as we got side tracked a bit and I wonder how Rookie55 made out ?

Jerome ; You are a duck hunter , yes ? Duck hunters use "fowl" language. LoL ! No apology needed.
Now back to the OP as we got side tracked a bit and I wonder how Rookie55 made out ?
I haven't been out there to big rice yet to have a look, but from what I'm gathering you can't get down into the southwest basin, too bad as there was a pile of puddlers flying around there.
Took a drive down to the bay yesterday morning, and with the strong west/north west wind there was quite the raft of divers out front of Collins.
I think its time to switch over to my diver setup and possibly try the Big Rice point...... if nobody is there first....

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks