Crappie

Fishboss

R.O.C. (Radio Operator's Certificate)
Hey just wondering where to find Long point crappie?

People keep there crappie, hotspots pretty close to their heart on this site
I personally @Hossfish have never caught a crappie through the ice on long point bay yet,especially this time of year,and I have been ice fishing the bay for years!! But I have never really targeted the crappie’s before,but in the spring would likely be your best chance of catching them,when they come in to spawn,in various places of the long point bay areas. Good luck!! (y):cool:

its no secret catchin nice size LPB black crappie and chunky bluegills through the ice.. last ice & ice out was your best for numbers... mid season ice fishin waxworms was a neccessity ....rotton ronnie use to sell them...
I will let you figure out where...and i am sure there still around today...

your welcome Hossfish...ya if you find some waxworms....we use to put them in a small pill bottle with sawdust and keep them alive & warm in our armpit while we were fishin....

The only place I’ve ever had any lunch catching crappie through the ice is Turkey point channels and even then it’s better just after ice out defenitly wax worms or maggots

If you need an endless supply of free Ice Fishing Bait, go out along country roadsides and you find Golden Rods growing everywhere. All you do is break the bulb off from the plant and snap the top off. Inside you find a tiny Grub called Gall Fly Larva, but not all Bulbs have a Grub. These are great Panfish Baits but require small hooks to use them.

The Bulbs can be kept in your Freezer to -40F

Check out these two YouTube Videos:

Ice Fishing with Gall Fly Larva The poor mans bait for winter

Natural bait for Ice Fishing

OR CHECK THESE OUT

https://www.outdoorlife.com/blogs/gone-fishin’/2013/01/goldenrod-grubs-how-find-your-own-live-bait

http://www.naturenorth.com/winter/gallfly/gallfly1.html

Extracting the Larva

OR

If you get caught in a Blizzard out on the Ice and can't make it back to land

Ruffins in simcoe also sells wax worms 35 bucks for 250 or 10-13 bucks for 50. I also had luck catching crappie in a deep channel last year threw the ice.

Thanks @ redwing, I might try tomorrow after I get the pike that stole my lure got a tip up and some smelly sardines.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks