cracked block :/

Minnownite

Used all summer and ran well aside form a water leak i thought was coming from the exhaust manifold. So waited till now to deal with it. Removed engine. Removed manifold. No leak...Ok must be headgasket... removed it ...didnt suspect anything. Had a mechanic look at it to give me some advice before reasembly and found the block cracked! pretty bad too. So...how to repair? JB WELD? Machine shop? find a doner block? Biggest issue im having is that the engine runs great! aside from this water leak... 1990 omc 3.0L crack.jpg

Morning Minnownite,

I just when through this this summer with my 3L
Your picture shows pretty much the same crack as mine which had been previous J-b welded by the last owner six years ago.You could try that but make sure you prep. the block properly.
I found a shop in near Listowell that said he could weld it but it didn't work out.
I drove to the USA and purchased brand new engine @ Michigan Motors approx. hour and a half from Port Huron for $4700 cnd. taxes included.
Message me if you need more info.

Wow that sucks ... i have been in the welding buisness for 40 years ... fixing that block will take some time to repair... jb cold weld is a fix it and flip it trick that you see out there ... Ni rod for arc welding is one way but you will have to dremal the crack out and pre heat the block area to 450 deg f and peen the weld multiple layers will be needed and continues heat checking when finished the block will need a post weld cool down by bury it in sand or wrap it in fire blanket so the cooling process is not compromised ... another way is cast rod with ferro flux done with oxy fuel like brazing but cast rod is best for compatibility. ... and pre and post heat ... and guess what all that heat the cylinder head deck will be warped and cylinders will need honing .. then ( mag partial) for crack inspection $$$$$$$... I'm sorry to say but i would scrap that block and grab a block a remanufactured that will give you piece of mind ... i have welded many of exhaust marine manifolds .. but engine blocks that's one hell of expense to save a block ... dan and don Douglas engine repair in brantford give them a call ... might have a block ... i have a number from a guy in Toronto ... complete short block 2600 ? ... ill see if i have it still ....

Last edited:
In 1983 I repaired the block in my car. At the time my Dad brought home a product called Devon. I drove the car until 1990 and sold it to a friend that restored the car but left the epoxy on cause it was hard a a rock.

I have always remembered the name of that stuff in case I ever needed it again.
Touching wood

Good luck

My crack was on a 360 v8. On the block near head gasket but into oil valley of motor. I did a v groove in the crack and then used brake clean to clean it up. Lots of rags and magnets to catch crap.
At the time Devon was used in attaching panels plus rivets at Spar Aerospace.

@tazmania ok because a quick google showed you have to buy 30lb of it and its like $400. unless i find it in smaller quanitity then i dont think that thats practical

Attachments

• 83AC59E7-A431-48AE-9A17-721891FDC321.jpeg
    83AC59E7-A431-48AE-9A17-721891FDC321.jpeg
    216 KB · Views: 167
Last edited:
Found it bud.... did some digging in all the brochures from the boat shows I was at this year ….

crosstown marine engines in Toronto
Marine Engines Inventory

Model/TypeLitresYearPrice
GM3 L'82 - '992850.
GM 2504.1 L '74 - '81 3800
GM 4.3 VORTEC4.3 L'96 - '042950
GM 305 85 OLDER5 L'76 - '952950
CHRYS 3185.2 L'73 - '933650
GM 350 VORTEC5.7 L'96 - '043250
CHRYS 3605.9 L'73 - '933650
MERCURY 375HP8.1 L$7500
FORD/MERC3.7 L$ 3950
GM 2624.3 L'84 - '952950
GM 305 VORTEC5 L'96 - '02$3250
FORD 3025 L'75 - '93$3650
GM 350 95 OLDER5.7 L'75 - '95$ 2950
FORD 351W5.8 L '74 - '94$3650
GM 454 330HP7.4 L$4850
MERCURY H/O 425HP8.1 L$ 8500
GM 502

I seen an episode of Powerboat TV a couple of weeks ago and they were at Crosstown Marine, looks like a well put together outfit good luck @Minnownite

My buddy use JB on his 4 cylinder Chevy block on his Bayliner and it worked i was actually amazed.He got about 6 more years out of that engine.

Lots of info on the fishing websites and apparently this product by Belzona is superior to either JB Weld or Devcon for lasting engine block crack repair. This link shows whole process that takes roughly 1 hour.

Lots of info on the fishing websites and apparently this product by Belzona is superior to either JB Weld or Devcon for lasting engine block crack repair. This link shows whole process that takes roughly 1 hour.

I can vouch for Belzona molecular metal. and have used on some pretty high end engine blocks with good success. Certainly worth a try.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks