Costa Rica Fishing - Guanacaste Northern Pacific

Maestrolaker

R.O.C. (Radio Operator's Certificate)
Heading down to the Riu Palace in early January and looking for any Forum expertise on which charter I should connect with or if there are other options well known.
I don't have a specific fish agenda but like to try and get ahead of this abit so I am not paying to troll lures around. Any feedback from travelers would be greatly appreciated.

@Maestrolaker , see my report from a few years ago... we were after rooster fish... No luck... Stayed at the Riu Palace too... Still working off those calories... enjoy!

Thanks gents. Any and all info is helpful....looking forward to a little downtime with spouse and kids and hoping to get out as kids both enjoy

I have stayed at the Riu Palace twice in Costa Rica and went fishing twice with Papagayo Fishing (costa-rica-fishingtrips.com). First time we caught some bonito and 3 large rooster fish (biggest was 70 lbs) and the second time we went offshore and caught 3 nice Mahi Mahi. We went in November and February. The rates were reasonable, they picked us up right on the beach and the boats/crew were good. Had 1 of the Mahi Mahi cooked at the resort and that was phenomenal.

ecuador feb 1 2019 transfer 106.jpg

Heres a recent giant rooster framed photo & my friend Eloy holding it up..he owns our apartment I rent..
He has invited me out a couple times rooster fishin in the structure with spare scuba equipment & spear gun for me..
Like many others I fished bluewater costa rica off Samara back in March...exceptional fishing for big numbers of sails, dorados & tuna & a beauty big black marlin...

Last edited:
here is Papagayo Sportfishing name & number/email the guy you want to talk fishin with
Genaro Mendez 506 8331 2731
email info@papagayo.me
genaro.mendez@papagayosportfishing.com

I did have a friendly chat a couple times with him but wasn't what I was looking for..

Heres a couple guys I reccomend one just up the road in Puerto Carillo
Capt. Fred Maschmeier a lifetime of fishing experience and he has been around..
506-8868-7385...this contact # is also his Whatapp
fished with this guy more then a few times...his deck hand Jose is also a pro on the bluewater...

another guy Capt. Simone
506-8456 7100 also his whatsapp

this guy will give it his all for what your looking for.. multi species...he is experienced adventurously young.. has a great fast boat scrabb with dual OBs...ya he is moored Samara beach..he also chases river tarpon...ya the rooster fish river & area he targets is a quick run down the coast...

I have a few other contacts I highly considered..but didn't need to..

I've been out a few times In Guanacaste.
Captain Lee is by far the best I've been out with. (see above link)

Capt Steve was off when I went down a few years back and was referred to someone he recommended. Was fun fishing, caught lots of great sails, but ended up a very awkward and generally negative ending experience. Boat's engine shut down partway back, guy didn't have his license, etc.

You will absolutely LOVE your trip. Fishing in that area is amazing. Keep cool, a full day is a LOT of sun. Bavaria Dark, best beer I found in CR.

Buy a bottle of cacique, it's cheap, and it's DELICIOUS. Mix it with fruit juice, or ask for a cacique sour. The locals love it.

Have a great trip! I'm jealous, officially my favorite place I've ever been to.

Also go to El Wagon for wood oven pizza.

JEALOUS!!!!Lee'sail.jpgLeeMarlin.jpg

Buy a bottle of cacique, it's cheap, and it's DELICIOUS. Mix it with fruit juice, or ask for a cacique sour. The locals love it.
Brought one bottle back and wish I had brought more!

Reactions: Rex
Brought one bottle back and wish I had brought more!
It's something like $12 for a huge bottle, and we SAVE it for special occasions its so good.
And it will get you right straight HAPPY first sip and drunk by sip 3. I call it Pura Vita in a bottle.
Wish we could get it here. I think it's some kind of sugar cane based liquor.

Also, if anyone is going, don't bother with all inclusive. IT's FAR cheaper and BETTER in terms of food, drink, and accommodations (in my opinion) to do it on the fly. (book the hotel / room / house ahead of time) and do the rest on the fly. The food and drink in CR are a HUGE part of the vacation.

Don't book excursions through the resort. They are inflated, boring (in comparison) and generally flat. Get out there meet some people, most speak at least Spanglish, you can get by no issue.

It's something like $12 for a huge bottle, and we SAVE it for special occasions its so good.
And it will get you right straight HAPPY first sip and drunk by sip 3. I call it Pura Vita in a bottle.
Wish we could get it here. I think it's some kind of sugar cane based liquor.

Also, if anyone is going, don't bother with all inclusive. IT's FAR cheaper and BETTER in terms of food, drink, and accommodations (in my opinion) to do it on the fly. (book the hotel / room / house ahead of time) and do the rest on the fly. The food and drink in CR are a HUGE part of the vacation.

Don't book excursions through the resort. They are inflated, boring (in comparison) and generally flat. Get out there meet some people, most speak at least Spanglish, you can get by no issue.

And watch the exchange rates! sometimes US prices are more expensive then paying in local currency and sometimes the opposite. Ask for both prices, do some math in your head and save some $.

Don't be fooled by the tourist wares. 99% of the tourist stores have the same crap. Negotiate in the shop if you REALLY want something. Sometimes the negotiations are HILARIOUS. $15 wooden fish statue "How about $8?" "my mom slaved for hours making these little wooden fish statues" "oh yea? she must be rich, I see those fish statues all over costa rica! how about $5 then?"

Also, the flight home, especially if you're booking westjet, when you check in, check the pricing for upgrading your seat. If they are avail, the price drops dramatically. Even more when you get to the counter. Just ask. We once upgraded for $200, included meals, snacks, and booze the whole 5 hours home.

Out for a good half day...weather has been nice but very windy conditions making fishing tough. We managed 2 nice rooster fish about 40 lbs which was great. My first and hopefully not last. Thanks to all for the help. Used papagayu charters and fished with owners sons.Moya and deckhand Jeremy.

Attachments

• IMG_20200109_084309.jpg
    IMG_20200109_084309.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 37
Hi @Maestrolaker I believe your windy conditions making it tough..Tamarindo & north area ..There sportfishing fleet are known to travel from port south to get out of the wind to fish calm conditions..thats one of the main reasons I stayed & fished off Samara the 50 50 & the 40 40 at the big drop off..thats not that far out..the cheaper costs were secondary compared to Tamarindo & area...if your on the beach waiting for the wind to lay down for better fishing conditions and or for fish numbers,action.. look at heading south..you can call down there to Capt. Fred in Puerto Carrillo, the number I left you.. and find out how the fishing is and what he has to offer..there might be a hot bite going on coming off a full moon..and tell him what your looking for..he is an american originally from Ohio..he has been fishing CR successfully for over 40 years.. alot of years off drake bay to the south..ya extra travel to get to the fish..done it many times..hope that helps & good luck

ya congrats on catching your rooster fish..

justa reminder fishin high tide windows..and tide tables are forecasted up there in your area..the biggest tide fluctuations are full moon & new moon..

ya it was facinating to first hand experience another action packed new moon proven exactly right to within the hour & day Nov. 26 2019 EST am..truly incredible..and the bite doesn`t get any better then that..I remember a new moon day fighting a stripped marlin off cabo and a killer whale had just killed a sea lion at the same time not far from our boat..the whale was playing with it throwing the dead sea lion way up in the air 3 or 4 X..ya the waters was onfire..caught a mako shark that morning too..

Last edited:
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks