Chumming

Fishforfun

Hello all. I'm a newbie to the site and the LP area. Just wondering when ice fishing is it legal to chum? Where i come from we would chum at least a half hour prior to jigging using sardines/ cat food and salt. If this practice is legal what formulas / techniques does everyone use?

Looking forward to your comments and glad to be aboard...

It's so shallow at Long Point, you may have to push aside your chum to get your bait in the water. My experience has been that the perch don't seem to stay in one area for too long, regardless of the bait that's available. There is a flurry of action (usually for the other guys I fish with, not me) then nothing. I think chum may actually hurt your chances as the fish might grab a sardine instead of your bait when they swim by. I think you could draw in some more mud puppies with chum.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks