Chumming waters under ice huts ?

Huron

Does anybody chum their waters when not getting any bites all day or is it a matter of if the fish ain't there they just ain't there. Frustrated after my last trip. Huron

I love putting 6_8 minnows in a glass mason jar with a bolt on the lid to tie fishing line to. Just fill with water and put in hole. Those 6_8 minnows look like a huge school of minnows with the glass. The perch will bump the jar all day trying to get easy supper. Kids have a blast watching and catching fish as well

when I lived up near lake simcoe my dad had special way of chumming holes we went out for week end with home made oil stove used car oil and he heated us up like crazy in the hut we stayed over night fished slept and ate it was great the chum method worked so well now its my seceret lol

someone posted earlier.. spotting schools of emerald shinners and smelt on LPB...chum baitfish with canned dog or cat food... particles of the food will dispense into the water... days before you plan to fish open the can and lower it down half way and tie it off in your hut

when the ol owen sound chummin can was invented way back...it was a must have and had a seperate heavy duty short rod to operate and lower and dump your chum right on bottom and used to jig and catch splake/lakers and whitefish out in the deeper water... we usually used salmon eggs for chum and jigged spawn bags and small spoons..anybody remember the numerous put and take stockings of splake and lakers on owen sound bay

Thanks for the great ideas guys. Next time I go out and stare at an ice hole I'll have the right invitation cards ready for those hungry fish ...just like the fast food places have for me. ! Huron.

I have heard of people using old eggshells for lakers in Temagami, and they seem to do well. I have never tried it personally, but my uncle lives on the lake, and does well every year.

Go get tournament bait cloud and drop it about 30-50 feet from your hut because they are crazy. I have heard guys that out it in the hut and have to move it is really good stuff. The tournament stuff looks like a big school if injured minnows as it has sparkles go to Dixie dairy bar in st Thomas they will have lots

No need to chum for perch. They'll hear a big loud lipless crank a lot further away then they'll get a hint of any chum. One rod with a big lipless crank or big flashy spoon and one with a small jig and minnow. Although most of the "keepers" that come in will willingly take the BIG bait;)

Josh

We would fill a can with chopped up Herring or Sardines from the can, poke holes in the can. Seal the can and drop down the hole with a line on it. The oil and pieces of chum ooze from the can when jigged.

.anybody remember the numerous put and take stockings of splake and lakers on owen sound bay

I remember they would swim up the bighead in October and at certain times when they where in heavy, every time your float dropped you'd think hot diggity it's a rainbow and it would be another splake lol. Couldn't keep em either cause season closed sept 30 and there was no extended fall fishing for splake.

someone posted earlier.. spotting schools of emerald shinners and smelt on LPB...chum baitfish with canned dog or cat food... particles of the food will dispense into the water... days before you plan to fish open the can and lower it down half way and tie it off in your hut

Wouldn't you draw in a lot of dogfish and catfish around the hole. :LOL: :sorry:

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks