Choke tube question

riverduck

Hey all,

I am in the market for a new choke tube for my Benelli Nova Pump. I have heard many reviews about many aftermarket tubes. Most of the aftermarket tubes seem to be emphasizing tighter patterns at longer distances up to 60 yards. My question is this what is the best all around waterfowl choke tube? I want something that is going to perform as well at 20 yards as it does at 50 yards. I hunt the unit almost exclusively and get decoying birds at all distances! I was using a modified stock tube with reasonable results but it was rusted in so I decided to remove.

Look at it this way of you buy a choke with a tight pattern you can always wait to the bird to fly away a bit before shooting to get a wider pattern. But you can't always get the bird closer with a more open choke. Those 20 yard shots better be on the head or your going to make a mess of a bird in a bad way. I went from a factory mod to a pattern master I wouldn't say I kill more ducks but I do chase less cripples. Just my .02

Also I have herd a lot people say that even just buying an aftermarket mod choke tube improves things immensely with pattern density and consistency.

I shoot a pattern master long range in one gun and a kicks high flyer in another and they both work quite well but depending on what ammo you plan on shooting the results will be very different. For any loads with a normal wad column the pattern master is tough to beat and with most buckshot loads it's a monster

I shoot a pattern master long range in one gun and a kicks high flyer in another and they both work quite well but depending on what ammo you plan on shooting the results will be very different. For any loads with a normal wad column the pattern master is tough to beat and with most buckshot loads it's a monster
Sorry guys , I have to chime in on this one , but it's in response to Dm's buckshot comment . I also have a pattern master for ducks and a Kicks buck kicker choke . As far as the pattern master goes with buckshot , I was wondering what model you have as I have a ported model for a 3" gun . I know it has a wad stripper in it , so it won't work well with flight control shot and isn't recommended for the original black cloud or blindside duck loads . It does however say , it can be used with buckshot . If yours works well with buckshot , does it matter if its 00 , 000, # of pellets and or copper plated ? Haven't used either choke yet w/ buckshot , but I bought the Kicks choke over concerns of damaging the pattern master for duck hunting .

I have the extended ported choke and in a beretta Extrema II as well as the extended ported in a Remington 11-87 and they both shoot very good patterns with 00B as well as 000B and I only hunt with plated buckshot, I usually shoot the Winchester supreme 3" 00B as it seems to shoot a slightly better pattern. They both shoot un-plated buckshot very well just slightly better with the plated ammo. On average both guns will put the full pattern in a 12" group at 50yards. I have shot some #4buck as well but I wouldn't say the choke was as effective with the smaller shot size. I wouldn't shoot the federal or Winchester loads that have the flight control style wads through these chokes because neither would perform well and I have other chokes so why bother. I did try some steel ammo that was over 1550fps just to see if it shot a noticeably worse pattern but it was only slightly wider.

I have the extended ported choke and in a beretta Extrema II as well as the extended ported in a Remington 11-87 and they both shoot very good patterns with 00B as well as 000B and I only hunt with plated buckshot, I usually shoot the Winchester supreme 3" 00B as it seems to shoot a slightly better pattern. They both shoot un-plated buckshot very well just slightly better with the plated ammo. On average both guns will put the full pattern in a 12" group at 50yards. I have shot some #4buck as well but I wouldn't say the choke was as effective with the smaller shot size. I wouldn't shoot the federal or Winchester loads that have the flight control style wads through these chokes because neither would perform well and I have other chokes so why bother. I did try some steel ammo that was over 1550fps just to see if it shot a noticeably worse pattern but it was only slightly wider.
I have the code black ported and after hearing your results @ 50 , itching to try it . Maybe this weekend , weather permitting . Thanks DM

I dont think my patternmaster in my maxus put the full pattern inside a 12" circle at 40 yards let alone 50 yards. Where you using 15 pellet?

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks