Change in Attitudes

scrimmy

R.O.C. (Radio Operator's Certificate)
One thing has been bugging the bejesus out of me since I moved back to London from Edmonton 2 years ago. While I enjoyed helping others get onto fish with up to date reports and speed, colour etc, etc, and enjoyed talking to fellow fishermen on my VHF times have sure changed. I rarely get an answer on the radio these days. I don.t know if it is just snobby people that fish Port Glasgow now or what. Yesterday there were a number of boats out of Port Glasgow and the only answer I got on the radio was from the Marina. I was talking with a fellow at the ramp who told me to go out to 65 feet before I even put a lure in the water. I told him I have been catching limits of fish in 30 to 40 feet of water and he looked at me like I was from outer space. What is with the fishermen of today as I can't figure it out.

Most guys talk with people they know by text now. I have to admit I don’t even turn the vhf on when I go out. I really probably should for emergency broadcasts and whatnot but I usually end up forgetting. When I have turned it on, usually it’s a ghost town on the air, definetly not like it used to be!

I'm the same, can't remember the last time I raised the antennae or had my radio on. Don't be discouraged Wayne, it's a sign of the times.

I will give you a call @scrimmy whenever I get out on Lake Erie off port glasgow,(right now it’s not looking too good till early next week when I will be walleye fishing due to the weather),and it would be nice to meet you in person one day as well!! Tight lines & walleye’s ON!! ? ????

I think majority of people don't have or use the VHF as much as in years past.

I think the range and reliability of cèll phones may have something to do with it.

I usually ask people at launch if they wish to share info.....so quit a few people give me there cell #

I've noticed the same, everywhere you go these days most have a phone stuck in their ear or are texting. :rolleyes:
I always have my VHF on but it seems to be quieter with each passing season. I will still depend on it over my cell phone any day if things happen to go south in a hurry. ;) Besides in a panic I would probably drop the stupid cell in the lake trying to make a 911 call then what? LOL!!! :D

my VHF is on board ...no way am i turning it on and listen to that chatter..I don't care what the others are doing..I am focused on my fishing only ...if I see a bunch a boats fishin an area.. I go the other way and find my own fish...I try to avoid risk & conflict...If somebody asks me at the boat launch when we come in wheres the fish & whats the hot baits ...no problem I tell them & good luck...

just a reminder alcohol & drugs is out there..ya really..

I use my VHF for a marine weather update or in case of an emergency...cell phone to..

I got my VHF radio license years ago and followed the "proper" operating procedures on air but I stopped turning it on when all I heard was "BREAKER BREAKER GOOD BUDDY! THIS IS SIR-ROSIS OF THE RIVER yadda yadda yadda",,,, and that put an end to it, lol. But then that was on the Detroit river and Lake St.Clair and such, perhaps I'll change my attitude up here!

Red Green: "Vegetarian" is an old Indian word
meaning "I don't hunt so good."14803

I've only been boating a few years. I've never bothered with marine radio as you have to pay and take the course. I've never had a problem with cell reception out on the lake, have instant access to weather and radar etc. on the cell, so haven't really seen the point in investing in marine radio. I could be wrong, but to date it hasn't seemed like I'm missing much?

VHF is always on and set to #16. If a fellow boater is in trouble you may be able to help. May be the difference between life and death. Move to 68 and ask for a quick report from the port you are fishing from. I have always had fellow boaters offer some information.

I may be old school as I am 64 years old and have been fishing the great lakes since I was 4 years old. I never have gone out on the great lakes without a marine radio and never will. A cell phone is great and I do carry mine on board but you are not guaranteed a signal. It all depends on where you are. A VHF radio on the other hand can ask for help from any nearby boaters if you get into trouble where as a cell phone may get you help in a few hours and by then it may be too late. In my over 35 years of chartering I have answered many distress calls made on the VHF

Well scrimmy, I’m new to the Great Lakes and have been thinking of whether or not to get a marine radio. I guess your post makes up my mind. Does anyone know what the range is like on the new hand held units or should I just go old school with the big ass antenna?

I may be old school as I am 64 years old and have been fishing the great lakes since I was 4 years old. I never have gone out on the great lakes without a marine radio and never will. A cell phone is great and I do carry mine on board but you are not guaranteed a signal. It all depends on where you are. A VHF radio on the other hand can ask for help from any nearby boaters if you get into trouble where as a cell phone may get you help in a few hours and by then it may be too late. In my over 35 years of chartering I have answered many distress calls made on the VHF
Scrimmy, I'm with you. My radio is always on.

just another safety
newer radios have the "DSC emergency button"
this is for MMSI number the radio is paired to the GPS
so when you push it for a Mayday it sends out the GPS cords
the belter made GPS will mark the distress signal
fun stuff you learn for the vhf radio course

Last edited:
Well scrimmy, I’m new to the Great Lakes and have been thinking of whether or not to get a marine radio. I guess your post makes up my mind. Does anyone know what the range is like on the new hand held units or should I just go old school with the big ass antenna?
I have a humminbird hand held that is a few years old . I think it is worthless ! I want to get a regular one at some point

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks