Cellular trail cameras - looking for some intel...

Darkofish

Hello all fellow hunters! I know cell trail cameras are expensive but I am still going to bite the bullet because my hunting property is 4 hours away... so I love the idea of getting pics sent directly to my phone as I can't get up there regularly enough to see the pics.... But google searches on the internet really do not help me research which camera to buy (too many sponsored sites). I looked back in the thread about 5 pages and didn't see a similar post so I thought I would post this call for any help or input on these types of cameras. Do they work? Do they work well? I saw a Spypoint camera with a solar charger built in - but man the reviews weren't very good... thanks in advance for any thoughts or recommendations.

I don’t run any, but know a few people who do. I can’t say first hand any negatives, they do what they are meant to do. Take photos and message them directly to you.
Like most things you get what you pay for...
I think if you cheap out you get slow shutter speeds and lower quality photo or video.
Most of them will run you the same monthly for the data used to send the photos or videos.

I have had a SpyPoint Link Micro-S-LTE for about two months now. Bought from Cabelas.ca when they had them on sale. I think they come on sale fairly often. I have been very happy with it. I am not a techy guy yet I found setting it up very easy. It takes great pictures and they show up on my phone and computer not instantly but within a minute or two of being taken. I know there are others with a lot more features and settings but I just use it in the basic mode anyway.

I have had a SpyPoint Link Micro-S-LTE for about two months now. Bought from Cabelas.ca when they had them on sale. I think they come on sale fairly often. I have been very happy with it. I am not a techy guy yet I found setting it up very easy. It takes great pictures and they show up on my phone and computer not instantly but within a minute or two of being taken. I know there are others with a lot more features and settings but I just use it in the basic mode anyway.
I have the same camera minus the solar panel. I got it for Christmas. I opted for the middle cell package. As @singlemalt said easy to set up and I get pics a few minutes after the shot was taken. There has been a few days where I get a lot of "empty" pictures but it is because of the the direction I have it set up and the sunrise. When I start getting too many pictures I just change the picture delay to 30 min and then go back a few hours after and change it back from my cell phone. I will probably be getting another one.

Hello all fellow hunters! I know cell trail cameras are expensive but I am still going to bite the bullet because my hunting property is 4 hours away... so I love the idea of getting pics sent directly to my phone as I can't get up there regularly enough to see the pics.... But google searches on the internet really do not help me research which camera to buy (too many sponsored sites). I looked back in the thread about 5 pages and didn't see a similar post so I thought I would post this call for any help or input on these types of cameras. Do they work? Do they work well? I saw a Spypoint camera with a solar charger built in - but man the reviews weren't very good... thanks in advance for any thoughts or recommendations.
Something to think about if you already have cameras you could try the cell link it fits almost every camera. Have been using them about a year now with good luck. I run them on stealth cameras but I think most will work. They are about $79.

I have the same camera minus the solar panel. I got it for Christmas. I opted for the middle cell package. As @singlemalt said easy to set up and I get pics a few minutes after the shot was taken. There has been a few days where I get a lot of "empty" pictures but it is because of the the direction I have it set up and the sunrise. When I start getting too many pictures I just change the picture delay to 30 min and then go back a few hours after and change it back from my cell phone. I will probably be getting another one.
I have had two of these SPYPOINT micro cameras and both failed around the one year mark. Worst customer support I have ever dealt with also. Called and emailed, told me to upgrade firm ware, completed that, still didnt work and basically didnt want to deal with me anymore. Would stay clear of spypoint IMO.

I have had two of these SPYPOINT micro cameras and both failed around the one year mark. Worst customer support I have ever dealt with also. Called and emailed, told me to upgrade firm ware, completed that, still didnt work and basically didnt want to deal with me anymore. Would stay clear of spypoint IMO.
I do not run their camera. I have 4 of the cell links that adapts to my old camera. Zero issues

I’m running a couple of cell links hooked up to crappy amazon cameras. The cams are $60 a piece and I have 4 of them. The cell links where crap at first but I’ve since updated them software and they work very well now. I got them on sale at shooters choice for $65 a piece. Keep an eye out for sales!

Thanks all - will definitely look into the links - unfortunately, I only have one other camera at the moment...

I have had a Link Micro (original) for 2 years now and so far no major issues. You do need a good cell signal for them to work. The only issue I've had is if there is a so-so signal they will stop sending images. The solution for me was to go to the cameras , shut them off and turn them on again and they start working again.

I have 2 link micro spypoint cameras 2 1/2 years no issues what so ever, I love them never have to drive out to the bush anymore to see what’s on them, just drive out and hunt.

I've been using a spypoint link micro for 2 years now. No issues. Pictures are pretty decent, my buddy ha a couple of the cell links on his wild game inovation cams and they work well for him. Another cam to check out that I've heard good things about is the tactacam reveal. These are all the cheaper options on the market

I have a Tactacam Reveal purchased on sale at Cabelas last summer that I've been real happy with. Only purchased a basic monthly cell package and was able to turn on/off service at end of the season like a pay as you go plan. Got concerned when it was posted they were discontinued but looks like just a newer model Reveal X came out or is coming soon. I'm sure a lot of tech products were disrupted by the chip shortages plauging many industries right now but doubt they're getting rid of their cell camera line anytime soon.

I have 10 spypoints out over the bushes I hunt. Bought my first one 4 years ago and have not looked back since. Only had one problem and Spypoint made it right with zero issues. I would recommend buying the 6v battery pack to go with it so you wont need to go back to change batteries. Depending on your settings you would get 6 months between charges on those.

Just following up cause I promised I would. I ended up purchasing a Spypoinit Micro LT - the one with the solar battery re-charger. Knock on wood - so far so good. Although the picture quality isn't great - I am lucky that the cell reception is "good" there (despite being relatively remote) and I have been getting regular pictures sent to my phone. So far I have seen a moose frequenting the property, some deer and a bear that has shown up consistently too. I will admit, I often get pics with nothing (setting is at "medium" sensitivity). I have now passed the one month free trial of unlimited pics. I decided to go the free route and so far pics have been coming in consistently - perhaps too many, I can see why +100 pics a month is possible on this sensitivity setting. Occasionally, it tells me the battery is running low but later re-charges itself (figure might be cloudy and then sun re-appears and re-charges the battery). I will post another follow up closer to hunting season. But again, knocking on wood - so far so good with the SpyPoint... thanks to everyone who gave advice.

Just following up cause I promised I would. I ended up purchasing a Spypoinit Micro LT - the one with the solar battery re-charger. Knock on wood - so far so good. Although the picture quality isn't great - I am lucky that the cell reception is "good" there (despite being relatively remote) and I have been getting regular pictures sent to my phone. So far I have seen a moose frequenting the property, some deer and a bear that has shown up consistently too. I will admit, I often get pics with nothing (setting is at "medium" sensitivity). I have now passed the one month free trial of unlimited pics. I decided to go the free route and so far pics have been coming in consistently - perhaps too many, I can see why +100 pics a month is possible on this sensitivity setting. Occasionally, it tells me the battery is running low but later re-charges itself (figure might be cloudy and then sun re-appears and re-charges the battery). I will post another follow up closer to hunting season. But again, knocking on wood - so far so good with the SpyPoint... thanks to everyone who gave advice.
I've got a couple of Micro's and I'm very happy with them. As far as the "nothing" pictures I've had shots where you can barely see a spider making it's way down. You also have to be aware of vegetation, when I got my first camera years ago I was really excited when it said I had a hundred pictures on it in a week. Turned out to be one deer and 99 shots of a branch bobbing in the wind. TC

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks