Catfish

HotPickle

Hey all, I'm looking at learning how to catch catfish this year, looking for edible ones (not really interested in resident fish from the thames) if anyone can help me out... tips and info, or rivers/creeks with clean enough water would be helpful, or if someone wants to go out together and help me out I can buy beers or coffee, whatever. Just looking to learn a new species this year. Thanks!

Edit- I'm in aylmer if that helps

While I don't purposely target them anymore, I used to. Head down to Pt Bruce or Pt Burwell. Can get catfish in either location. I've caught them using worms, minnows, bacon, shrimp, rotting chicken. All kinds of differing opinions on what works best. If you haven't caught one before, a word of caution, beware the spines (stingers) which are not on it's "whiskers." They are along the front of the two pectoral fins and the dorsal fin. Easy enough to avoid, grab it by the belly behind the pectoral fins that way it can't getcha with its dorsal fin "spike" and it can't getcha with the pectorals either.

Last edited by a moderator:
I fish saugeen river for cats down by the boat launch close to the mouth. Spring time the grand river can be good in the dunnville area.

I have seen guys pull in monster cats at the public dock in Dunnville if you are shore fishing. Or anywhere along the Grand is good. I've had good luck with worms above the dam in Caledonia too. Under the bridge by hwy 54 and Brant 22 is a nice little spot.

Thanks for the tips guys.. couple follow ups

1) what kind of rod, reel and line?
2) are you getting the bait down on the bottom with a sinker, is it carolina or Texas rig style... how are you guys presenting your baits

Also do they follow a seasonal migration or would a good hole be productive all year... is there a best season?

@mick I dont but I'm actually trying to get one this spring.... I got a 14 ft tinner I've been unsuccessfully trying to trade for one

ya I know a good spot..but you need a canoe only..

hey my friend its a little complicated..needing landowner permission..pm me & let me know when you get a canoe..

When you get a canoe you've got a fantastic place to fish in Catfish Creek. I think you can still access the river by the main bridge (if they're not still working on it). I usually just paddle upstream as far as I want to go and fish my way back. They hold a tournament there every year so you know it's a good spot. The Big Otter in Pt Burwell is also good but you don't need to make the drive unless you want a change of scenery. By the way there aren't any cats in Black Creek anymore :).

When you get a canoe you've got a fantastic place to fish in Catfish Creek. I think you can still access the river by the main bridge (if they're not still working on it). I usually just paddle upstream as far as I want to go and fish my way back. They hold a tournament there every year so you know it's a good spot. The Big Otter in Pt Burwell is also good but you don't need to make the drive unless you want a change of scenery. By the way there aren't any cats in Black Creek anymore :).
Hahaha where did they go ? Got a 10 pound channel last year on bass gear ...unbelievable fight

heres a pic of mr.whiskers on light line walleye fishin last june off belle river
ya there good fighters on light tackle..
the real big ones will pull the canoe..

spring walleyes 2019 271.jpg
spring walleyes 2019 269.jpg

Stick to the smaller 3-5lb cats for eating. And avoid taking the big egg laden females from smaller creeks to keep populations healthy.

You can bottom fish or suspend bait along steep, brushy shorelines under a float. Most consistent and readily available bait I've found is large, fresh, uncooked shrimp.

Josh

2) are you getting the bait down on the bottom with a sinker, is it carolina or Texas rig style... how are you guys presenting your baits

When I go fishing, I'm usually sitting on the pier in Pt Bruce after perch. But when the lake is rough and I don't feel like going home, I might go sit where the bridge was in Pt Bruce or that general area and target cats, but I haven't done that for years. I usually end up taking the same rod every time, plus a back up just in case, but I've never had to use the backup, don't even put it together unless my dad shows up and wants to put a line in for a while. (He'll show up, but if I don't have any perch in my basket, he ain't interested lol)

I just used my normal rods that I'd use for perch, walleye, pike, bass, you name it with a pickeral rig on it. Nothing fancy and it does the job, only I'd use a bigger hook. I only have 3 rods, they're all 6-6 1/2 ft long. Two of them had 12lb mono on them and the other had 10 until a couple years ago, now only one has 12lb mono the other two have 10 and 15lb braid, and even though I'm not targeting them, I've landed some big cats with any of them, biggest being just over 20lbs off the pier two years ago.

pretty much any medium/heavy rod will do, spinning or casting. I usually run 30 or 40lb braid and use a big circle hook on a 18 to 24 inch leader tied to a swivel then run main line through a 1 - 2 ounce sinker depending on current speed. Cast it out and leave your bail open and let them peel out a bit of line then set the hook and hold on lol If you do hit the grand down in dunnville Fishmasters usually has cut bait there for sale. As posted above I wouldn't eat larger ones, stick to 3-5lbers like Josh said. If you want some 15-20lbers though def head to dunnville as they come in to spawn from the lake during the spring.

Used to fish the ”clay banks” off clear creek. When the monarch butterflies were staging in late august (old timers advice). Great success , especially with a heavy off shore wind (8 to 12 lbrs)

Amazing, thanks for all the help you guys... looking forward to giving er a go this spring. Looking to diversify what I put in the freezer in the coming years so this is greatly appreciated!

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks