Catch and Release Article

I'll still be using rod and reel.

My BS self righteous indignation sensors are going off.

Simple solution, I lost the fish as I was putting it on the stringer 🤷 Oops!

Seriously tho, selective harvest is often required. Unlike hunting where you can chose to pass on an animal visually for one that would be more appropriate to harvest, fishing requires you to make that decision once the prey has been landed. And studies have proven catch and release to be extremely effective when done properly....I don't agree at all with the concern.

Josh

Sounds like more cancel culture BS to me. What cave do these idiots keep coming out of, they need to stop it up with some TNT. :rolleyes:

And studies have proven catch and release to be extremely effective when done properly....I don't agree at all with the concern.

This has nothing more do with effectiveness or sustaining the fishery. It's about feels and tree hugging and thinking fish have the intelligence and emotions of a human.

Josh, here's an 11 year study, done by a couple individual volunteers for the MNR that caught and tagged trout in nipigon river system.
Pretty un disputable evidence that fish can survive catch and release.. Mind you, they are not eyes pulled of the bottom of 60FOW...

Here is the summary from that study : 21% of the 1258 tagged fish were caught more than once over the years !!!

Some interesting stats over 11 years
  • 1258 fish tagged
    • average length = 18"
      • average weight = 3.5 lbs.
        • 9.4% of the fish were 22" or bigger
          • 266 recaptures or 21% of the population caught over multiple years
            • 37 fish were recaptured 3 times,
              • 8 fish recaptured 4 times
                • one lucky fish was recaptured 5 times.(lucky #5152)
                  • 95% of fishermen now practice some form of "C&R" since the '05 regulation change to 22".

Yup, that's one good example. That study is ongoing too.....For some awesome pics of many of those specsks check out Randy Beamish on FB or IG 😉

Josh

Holly snap,, just looked him up,, he's recently posted a pic of a 26" Brooktrout,,
Man I miss ice out - brook trout,, F-Covid.....

Meanwhile the commercial fisheries are raping our lakes of everything and anything they trap in their nets. I witnessed first hand on Huron how many fish they are pulling up and zero being put back

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks