Canoeing Algonquin Park

lookin4fish

I am embarking on my first canoe trip into the Algonquin interior and was just looking for tips on what to bring as far as lures, what kind of fish to expect, how deep to fish for them, any info would be greatly appreciated as I have never fished this area. We are going through Canoe lake, Tom Thompson Lake, and Burnt Lake.

Thanks Adrian

AHHH The Fishin Life!

I have gone into the backcountry the last couple summers. Last year, we went up to Big Trout Lake and stayed there a couple nights. There are some beautiful campsites on that lake, but it is a bit of a treck to get there. We trolled for Lake trout in the evenings and mornings. I used small silver panther martin spinners with a 3-way swivel with about a 1-ounce wieght at the one end (you can google this method for more information). You have to paddle slow and get down deep to find them, espicially in the summer months. I didnt get into any trout on Tom Thompson, but I did catch some nice smallies around the islands. Burnt island lake is beautiful, but campsites can fill up fast. We always camp at the far end of the lake because I find the fishing to be better there. There is an lsland back there that will be loaded with seagulls. Troll in this vicinty to find the lakers, using the same method. You can also find some nice smallies in the bays and around the rock points.
You could also try jigging for lakers, I have buddy that goes up every spring and does well. But they usually bring a portable fish finder to locate the fish.
Good luck, you will have a great time, I look forward to this trip every year!

Justin Walsh

I was up canoe lake and t.thompson lake this summer. Check out this map to help you with locations of good fishing spots. Its free and pretty detailed.

http://www.algonquinmap.com

I just got back tuesday from Booth Lake, No bugs at all! Hope you have the same luck I did!

Thanks for the tips Jwalsh and Hipnotized! Last year at this time I went to Huron and got skunked after 4 days of a solid effort. So hoping to have some luck this time around, and if not, then atleast I will get to finally experience Algonquin and all its scenery!

Thanks again, Adrian.

AHHH The Fishin Life!

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks