Off Topic Cancun & Sunwing - Got Lucky

stomp

Administrator
Staff member
@Mrs. Stomp and I spent part of the May 2-4 weekend down in lovely Cancun. We got a decent deal through PC Travel and Sunwing and we had a great time at Secrets The Vine in Cancun. I didn't realize how lucky we were to have incident-free travel until we returned home.

Because of the grounding of the 737 Max 8s, Sunwing is contracting out service to "Eastern Airlines" and renting and flying much older Boeing 767-300 equipment . The planes are beat-up, crowded and smelly. On the flight down, we were seated in the last row. The back seats didn't recline and my knees were touching the seat in front of me. I've flown a bit and have never been squeezed into a seat like that, even on a domestic flight in India. Thankfully, 2 pilots were seated ahead of us and they were "upgraded" to better seats, so we grabbed their seats which would, at least, recline.

On the trip home Wednesday, there was a slight delay in leaving Cancun and back in T-O, we had to wait 15 mins or so for our luggage because the cargo bay door would not open. We didn't think much of the delays; minor inconvenience. We didn't have to endure anything like the people on the Friday flight are experiencing. See https://www.cp24.com/news/angry-sun...ter-mechanical-issue-delayed-flight-1.4437081. And this is not the first incident like this on these older 767's. See https://www.theglobeandmail.com/can...at-sunwing-airlines-after-being-stranded-for/ for a story about the same Toronto to Cancun flight being diverted to New Orleans for an emergency landing. Also, see this story about a 13 hour delay the previous Friday.

Really glad we cut our trip short! If you're flying Sunwing anytime soon, be forewarned!

Last edited:
20190520_155239.jpg20190520_155144.jpg20190520_155136.jpg20190520_155306.jpg20190520_155249.jpg20190519_125720.jpg

Here are some shots of Secrets the Vine in Cancun. Ate and drank too much. The meals were delicious and lots of good seafood and Mexican, of course. Highly recommend but also recommend just saying "no thanks" to all the requests to buy upgrades/timeshare etc.. We saw so many people being led around on tours/sales instead of enjoying time at the pool/beach/bar/restaurant.

Last edited:
@stomp... when we went to Cuba in Feb. I noticed Sunwing has really fallen in the airline ranks. We experienced crowded seats and delays as well. Gotta ask, was that pool at the resort warmer than the Detroit River in the spring? ;):) When you said you got lucky was that with Mrs. Stomp or with the deal or both? :giggle:

@Wave Runner , yes... water was a titch warmer than the "D"... 30+ each day and no rain. Got lucky with the deal and with making there and back in one piece with little delay. Didn't get lucky on the plane; a contortionist couldn't get lucky on one of those Eastern flights. And yes, very lucky to be with @Mrs. Stomp... that's what you meant , right? :geek:

Traveled sunwing last jan to Jamaica..never again. dealing with them is worse than the candian government!!! Long live air transit

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks