Cabo san lucas fishing Nov. 23

mick

R.O.C. (Radio Operator's Certificate)
Had A great trip out, heres a few photos to share
1 bonito to start then 6 for 6 mahi & 2 for 2 marlin..
New Moon Cabo Nov. 23 2022 002.jpgNew Moon Cabo Nov. 23 2022 004.jpgNew Moon Cabo Nov. 23 2022 011.jpgNew Moon Cabo Nov. 23 2022 025.jpgNew Moon Cabo Nov. 23 2022 034.jpgNew Moon Cabo Nov. 23 2022 037.jpg20221123_113028(0).jpg
New Moon Cabo Nov. 23 2022 044.jpg
ll
tomato at the helm while the captain is trying to find a bait to use..

you can see the photo of my blue white feather bait just finished up with the belt I used

Attachments

• 20221123_132646.jpg
    20221123_132646.jpg
    288.8 KB · Views: 75
Thanks @stomp for the nice hat & fish quote..
heres my other hat i bought with a Mahi Mahi on the top of it Maria my LandLady is wearing it..oh yes so appropriate..I trimmed up a dorado 1 fillet for her dinner last night..
she bought me a new filleting board for trimming the fish fillets too, she is also good with my fishing trips
And she has made room as well for freezer space and I got a good inventory already..ziplocked marlin & mahi

IMG-20221124-WA0002.jpg

hey Stomp er..
oh ya she cooked that fish and made it beautiful alright, but no invite dinner for 2 , actually I was doing a load of laundry early last night and she was eating outside on the patio table, I wandered over and she says I got something here on the cell phone..and I look and its her plate of food thats right infront of her...omg she had avocado, baby spinach, green grapes, kiwi and with nice lightly fried Mahi Mahi.. what was that dish.. a cooking show..
I asked her today if she ate the rest of her fish?..she says yes...there is no way she ate all that fish...impossible..oh ya she wants more fish..kinda like the capt. tried too on wednesday..and walking off the docks with bags & bags of fish..pack of bloodhounds..I was able to get a uber fairly quick..thankfully got out of there..

and the pelicans and sea lions were waiting for us..spoiled rotten sea world life there at the marina

Last edited:
ya goin thru this seasons chromers today... erie screamers
on the crank baits..
numbers were good..size was great..big increase in smelt forage

_IMG_2788.jpg_.jpg

IMG-20220705-WA0000.jpg

I got a problem with the fishing charters down here in Cabo San lucas Mexico, ya the last charter with the capt. and the seller, are crooked..I am fortunate I got what I did, but burning me on the cost of bait,
the capt. telling me to go in early..and i argued with that and got my 8 hours..but he went on about it afterwards..
and the bottom line was take what you want for fish fillets, then as time passes, he is telling me that he needs the fish for food to feed his family..oh ya i am not kidding..who does he think I am..so yep we had an indepth discussion on what I am taking off the boat for fish fillets..and he was not happy..

I already know that he would sell some of it and keep what he wanted for meals..yes there is alot of meat that comes off these fish..and why would one have to argue that I want it all..
that is a common denominator with some of the captains of charter boats. So prebooking a charter you need to discuss these important details with the captain, and i did, but thats the way it goes sometimes

so the bottom line...I fought and landed everyone of those fish..then i had to fight with the captain to take almost 30% of the fish home..after I paid $800 U.S for the charter & $50 for the bait and gave $1000 pesos to the boat for a tip..

I can tell you how I went thru 3 different CR charter captains like dirty underwear..and you can read online some of the poor fishers that have been swindled by Cabo San lucas fishing charters..its a bit frightning..I was reading some real sad but true events that is just sickning

So just beaware of dealing with chartering a boat in foreign waters, I am going to be very careful booking a next charter, and the important details are going to be in writing on my reservation receipt.

my last receipt had my name the date the duration 8hours the capt. name and the boat name and the price ..but the salesman argued it did have bait included...which would be $20 U.S. I paid that and the $30 extra..Iam not nit picking.. they are..

case closed and I am moving on to better things on my wish list

is possibly finding and chartering a fast centre console like a grady white with dual outboards heading out off shore to the nicest of blue waters oh ya and hunting pelagic fish on a super nice marine day

Last edited:
I wish the warmth of the full sun would hurry up..it went down to 17 celsuis early this morning mucho frio yes chilly....high of 25 forecasted..the afternoons are nice and warm here..says its going back up mid week 26 to 28 and lows of 20..thats more like it..and its really dry..great for no arthritis pain..

ya I got a new pain carpal tunnel in both wrists feeling the numbing pain at night...its from fighting out those fish in a short period of time..I do have a wrist brace for my left hand..thats my holding the rod grip..I am wearing it next time out..I am going to need one for my cranking hand as well..sooner the better for fishing..

Last edited:
Mick
Having fished Cabo for the past 30 years I have seen it all.

Bait is never included even on high end charters. Some will fish for it but fun you really want to waste a valuable hour or fishing or travel time?

Never book through a dockside agent (coyote) SURE way of losing your money or getting a sub standard boat

Do your self a favour and check out Baja Anglers (Grant Hartman)or the boats through Grazelda's Smoke house. Excellent experience every time.

for starters ..I am far more educated & experienced in the world of fishing then you are
you tried the last time with.. you are a cabo superstar
ya do yourself a favour..

Last edited:
what do you have to share quackers. I don't even know you..this post is marlin fishing off cabo

ya lots of positive fishing info to share to fellow members here and my Likes speak for themselves..ok the captain messed up a little bit..but he got it right after I corrected it..thats the main thing right..there are reasons why we have are own boats as well..lol

and that quote of wasting time on bait..lol..we caught live mackerel out there as well.. on 2 rigged fishing poles specifically for catching mackerel 2 and 3 at a time when the school swims by..they went in are live well and yes out on the finger bank... and its where we were fishing marlin and I counted 9 other boats around the 10 am mark..where do you think the bait comes from...the bait shop.. no it comes from are surrounding fishing waters..and yes I never had to pay for bait..it comes with the charter..just like the gasoline does..

30 years experience in cabo?..thats not even believable.. on the Baja angler website some guy is catching a roosterfish on a surfboard.. there is no way I would join a fishing club 4 hours at a time at double the cost and paying for the individual guide service as well..I tried that over 30 years ago off Cayo Largo south of Cuba a private fishing club..on a skiff boat fishing tarpon & bonefish with a guide and a pole..we later moved up to troll grouper & barracuda it was a 4 hour a charter and after 3 or 4 trips i got my fill..

I got more then my moneys worth on the Hobby Nov. 23.. the deck hands were exceptional like i said..any Captain can have an attitude and try and gain value..that boat was a good boat with mixed flags at the end of the day...you won't find that on any website..

for trophy roosterfish off the pacific ocean..scuba equipment and specialized speargun..Jose here invited me out on his boat, to hunt roosters..I turned down that offer, we were out fishing marlin and mahi way out on the Rosita 14 hour charters $500 captain sleeps on the boat so we are leaving in the dark by 4am and returning 8pm that evening in the dark..

Again explaining my experience and sharing to fellow anglers..if there is a choice when it comes to fishing and hunting its being honest & truthful..that is the key to success..
now this post has been ruined by a couple of fishing for trouble makers, I will think twice 3x on posting another fishing report from cabo?

this is a better then average size pacific roosterfish and the location is puerto lopez bay
where he caught it is poormans galapagos..some world record species waters you can read if interested
like I offered DaveJ that is not interested if any are you interested in fishing on the Rosita send me a message tell me your wish list and I will do my best to answer..there is 3 types of fishing 2 main species
and hey maybe you wanna stay at the Ancora Jose & his wife are very nice and are the owners...look it up in puerto lopez Ecuador
ecuador feb 1 2019 transfer 106.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for your reports Mick, I have been to Cabo San Lucas a couple of times, but never fished there. Maybe next time.

I love these posts Mick so keep em coming!
Sounds like getting the right boat/crew/capt is half the battle, esp going solo. $800 US/day...puts a Lake Erie charter in perspective!!!
Carpal tunnel s/s..likely from the EXTREME workout you gave your wrists all at once. Ice, anti inflammatories, rest..but you know this already!!

I want to thankyou @Fshrmn4life for all your support as well to the forum
I really enjoy reading your posts and it's great to see and learn all the different experiences that are out there to explore if in time I ever find the time or money to be able to get out there and try it myself. Keep up the great work and keep your posts coming, some of us do truly enjoy them @mick

thanks again DaveJ & Fshrmn4life for your support..nice to hear and appreciated ..I posted some trips and encourage fishing the saltwater..for me it was pacific billfish
I got to rest up a bit staying on shore..I got plenty of time..but I do like those days leading up to the full moon..
So yes DaveJ $800 U.S is bit overkill..for 8 hours charter is about right where 6 hours would of be plenty for that day..I am heading to the marina tuesday around 1pm and see the boats that have come in and see the fish species flags flying for the individual success..and take it from there..mostly all the boats are booked 7 days a week... business is good the fishing has been good the fish are here..its still high season ..after the 2 tournaments and hurricaine season is done and when I booked to come..

oh ya to much stress..I guess my wrists took a beating and didn`t even know it.,,I had no idea..sure found out with the most nasty wake up pain with both hands completely numb ..its like I never knew there was even a problem..I did the right thing to vigoroursly shake my hands until the feeling started to come back, hey I am no baby..thats what happened..I believe that last marlin landed and the next day moving refridgerators apartment to apartment..if I ran that by an emergency room doctor, I wonder what he would say..I am not going to find out..I am sucking it up one day at a time..60lb to 100lb class mono fighting cabo stripped marlin with the belt..and a half dozen mahi off the outriggers..big price tag is right..

anyway I will post a report when I figure it out when and with what boat..then I can get the location right and done by the noon hour..I should be able to find something reasonable for dorados..and get the captain moving that boat quicker to the fingerbank for a marlin...ya just one..lol

just to clarify DaveJ my 8 hour charter for $800...we started fishing dorados catching 6 mahi trolling north up the coast..and then 7 miles trolling west offshore to the Golden Gate finger bank for the last and largest marlin.. with total 2 for 2 marlin..the 8 hour charter on a 33 ft blackfin The Hobby..and almost hooked into another marlin trolling at the boat just part way back..with a tailwind we made it back to port by 2:05pm
Golden Gate bank distance measures 27 nautical miles one way, so the approx. 54 miles round trip..we were trolling 3 quarters of our charter which is more fuel efficient and increases hookup success..

a 28 ft boat would be the minimum size hull I would be fishing Golden Gate bank..

1669601392601.png

Nice reports. 5 weeks and I will be there. 2 full days on the water with REDRUM charters. Hope to see several different fish.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks