Off Topic C TOW Long Point Port Dover Port Rowan ?

I would never leave anyone on the lake in 'distress' but if they run out of gas or something, they're likely going to have to wait until I'm done fishing for a tow....that isn't distress as long as they are safe.

Yep, huge difference between being in distress and being inconvenienced due to stupidity.

IMO it’s best to let the dougheads with an empty gas tank or dead battery sit there for a while to reflect. I’ve only towed 5 boats and 4 of those were clearly due to people not using their brains with only 1 having actual mechanical issues.

Honest mistake or mechanical failure, I’ll gladly waste my fishing trip towing you to shore. Stuck there due to your own stupidity? Pay up or wait until I am done fishing.

I carry a set of jumper cables and a little 1 gallon gas can. Ive used the cables once..which was an interesting exercise..and the gas a couple times.

I can proudly say I've never needed to be towed in!

Now a very slow and boring trip home via the Minn Kota, that's another conversation. 😂 9km @ 3km/h... :sleep:

According to their website they will respond 24 hrs. a day usually within 45 minutes. Included in their package is gas delivery, battery boost and minor assistances along with tows. My concern is there actual coverage in Long Point bay. I have had people offer to tow me in for $700 in Lg Pt bay!
Is C Tow available in these areas? Is it worth it ? I know it is out of Port Burwell. For $100 if available it sounds like a good deal.
C-TOW.ca !
Ask around, there is no C-Tow operator in 98% of the Great Lakes their website claims to cover. You are wasting your money if you join. Check for a towing rider on your insurance policy but even that is only good if you have an actually marine towing company to call. *16 is your best bet for LongPoint. That will get you to the Coast Guard at which point you can ask them to do a M.A.R.B. (Marine Assistance Request Broadcast). If no-one offers to help they will dispatch the auxiliary boat to you. BoatUs and Canada’s Towboat don’t claim to have boats in Longpoint but also offer to provide towing “insurance” so to speak. At least they are honest enough to tell you where they do and do not actually have service boats.

@Ontario Boater , the Captain who is working out of Long Point is a long-time site sponsor and was working for C-Tow out of Burwell last year. Your 6-8 contributions, on the other hand, consist of a grand total of two torpedoes directed at the broadside of C-Tow business. Do you have an axe to grind with them or sumthin'?
Just being clear that they are not what they claim to be. Was let down by them before because the claimed to be available but took over 5 hours to trailer a boat from Leamington. If there is a guy now running out of Port Burwell that is great but I was making it clear that they really do not have boats all over the Great Lakes. NO COMPANY does. In fact, commercial towing companies in Canada are extremely rare. No axe to grind, just hate good people getting bad advice.

@Ontario Boater , the Captain who is working out of Long Point is a long-time site sponsor and was working for C-Tow out of Burwell last year. Your 6-8 contributions, on the other hand, consist of a grand total of two torpedoes directed at the broadside of C-Tow business. Do you have an axe to grind with them or sumthin'?
And my 6-8 contributions are because I just joined the site and this happened to be the conversation that lead me here. Sorry but we all need to start somewhere I guess.

So if I have this correct, you got your service but not the way you wanted it?

My towing clause has no time frames whatsoever.

If I need to use it I just have to accept how long it takes.

I imagine they don’t get enough business to have a captain stationed at every port
It is what it is
Take it or leave it.
Some folks are probably happy to have the service available where others know multiple people with boats who would come and tow if needed one.

And my 6-8 contributions are because I just joined the site and this happened to be the conversation that lead me here. Sorry but we all need to start somewhere I guess.
OK @Ontario Boater , but the question was about the Long Point area. There is a guy operating in this area who happens to be a long-term member and sponsor of this site. So, I guess, maybe coming out with guns blazing wasn't the best place to start?

I’ve always just called my marina or messaged the owner personally and he’s always helped me out. Last week starter was stuck under flywheel, I couldn’t figure it out but he sent me a young guy to tow me in. Cost me a case of beer. Now if only the boat would start. Goes in this week fingers crossed.
I’m gunna invest in a 9.9 as backup got a 3horse now but rather not turtle back

$700 for a tow is crazy.
I also wouldn't leave anyone out stranded. Last season I towed someone in out of port Bruce, their recently repaired motor conked out and they were in 55'. I didnt take any money from them, I would just hope someone does the same for me if I ever need a tow(and I sure hope I never need 1)

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks