Off Topic C TOW Long Point Port Dover Port Rowan ?

keeper

Is C Tow available in these areas? Is it worth it ? I know it is out of Port Burwell. For $100 if available it sounds like a good deal.
C-TOW.ca !

How many tows you figure you need in a year? Know anyone else with a boat you can call for a tow? I’d say it’s worth it if you are not confident in your vessel and don’t know anyone else with a boat you can call for a tow.
if I needed a tow there’s a couple people I could call so I personally wouldn’t spend the money on it…
And if it were an emergency I wouldn’t call them anyways

According to their website they will respond 24 hrs. a day usually within 45 minutes. Included in their package is gas delivery, battery boost and minor assistances along with tows. My concern is there actual coverage in Long Point bay. I have had people offer to tow me in for $700 in Lg Pt bay!

According to their website they will respond 24 hrs. a day usually within 45 minutes. Included in their package is gas delivery, battery boost and minor assistances along with tows. My concern is there actual coverage in Long Point bay. I have had people offer to tow me in for $700 in Lg Pt bay!
I don’t think my mom
Would charge me $700 for a tow
And newly retired likely available 24/7
But I hear your point
The map on the websit looks to cover all Canadian waters in all the Great Lakes including lake simcoe

$700? It's an obligation to assist a vessel in distress if you are close by and able to assist, not a choice.... it is the law. These people should not be on the water if they are unwilling to help unless you pay them. Unbelievable.

I think there is a Ctow operator here... think it was @Fish Whisperer

It's an obligation to assist a vessel in distress if you are close by and able to assist, not a choice.... it is the law.

I would never leave anyone on the lake in 'distress' but if they run out of gas or something, they're likely going to have to wait until I'm done fishing for a tow....that isn't distress as long as they are safe.

If you have your R.O.C. / and a VHF in the boat, that is a good backup in case you need to ask for a tow. I gave someone a tow from Port Ryerse to TP last year when they sent out a call on VHF. Never know when I might need the favour returned, so I always try to help out when I can

$700? It's an obligation to assist a vessel in distress if you are close by and able to assist, not a choice.... it is the law. These people should not be on the water if they are unwilling to help unless you pay them. Unbelievable.

I think there is a Ctow operator here... think it was @Fish Whisperer
Obligation to assist is to save lives not equipment. I'll help you as in you the person, or anyone who needs it get back to shore or whatever, but if your busted-ass old boat broke down 20 miles out in 4' swells and you don't want to pay for the tow, I'm not towing it back.

Obligation to assist is to save lives not equipment. I'll help you as in you the person, or anyone who needs it get back to shore or whatever, but if your busted-ass old boat broke down 20 miles out in 4' swells and you don't want to pay for the tow, I'm not towing it back.
I found a guy in distress off Killbear last summer. Motor wouldn't start, wind was probably going blow him past the rocky point or on to it... but he wasn't in immediate danger but not safe either. I towed him the 15 min it took to a beach in the park. A bunch of boats ignored him. In the case of 20 miles off shore in swells? I would save him and not his boat. If it puts my boat and passengers at risk... and it would that far out... you focus on people. If they won't leave their boat, they can call for a tow and I will standby.

My guess is you save $100 on insurance if you get it? Seems worth it to me. I don't expect problems but you never know what you might hit out there... be it old ice huts or something else.

@jrr yea circumstances always matter on the outcome. I'm not towing your 35' flybridge anywhere because I can't, but a 14" aluminum near EC10 needs a tow to Old Cut, no problem.

$700 for a tow is crazy.
I also wouldn't leave anyone out stranded. Last season I towed someone in out of port Bruce, their recently repaired motor conked out and they were in 55'. I didnt take any money from them, I would just hope someone does the same for me if I ever need a tow(and I sure hope I never need 1)

C-Tow is like CAA you pay the money and hope you never need their services ? I have CAA for my truck but my boat(s) are small and I will rely on the good will of fellow boaters inside Long Point Bay or the Cdn. Coast Guard ; depending on the problem. I'm pretty sure I've towed in a lot more guys then having been towed in myself so my Karma points are good ! Also I have never accepted money from anyone when offered. If I could afford one of those big babies that cruise around out there I could afford a 100 bucks for C-Tow. Also to consider the Coast Guard will only tow you to the nearest port or marina and if it's due to lack of gas you are going to pay for that tow.

Towing comes down to what’s reasonable. As someone mentioned, your obligation is to assist someone in distress. And your obligation is to the humans not the vessel. I would assist anyone in real distress to the best of my ability without risking the lives of my own passengers. It could be argued that someone out 20 miles in 4 foot swells could be in distress with no power (no matter what the cause) on Erie especially if the weather changed. I’ve towed a fair number of guys. But like some of the others, I’m keeping it reasonable. I’m not towing in a 40 foot cabin cruiser in calm waters because Skip forgot to fill the tanks. I’d happily call the marina for him, provide GPS coordinates and fish in the area until the tow boat shows up.

Rule of Safety---keep the top half full in your gas tank---plus---it's less expensive to fill the top half anyway you look at it---and---run your checklist before leaving port---think like a pilot

Tow boats are set up to safely tow on the water. I've also towed a couple of boats over the years but in calm water. Anything in rough conditions or of any size is a huge risk to your own safety. I'd really think twice about towing anything in rough conditions

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks