BUTCHER ...WOE'S

Edmcl

I had a butcher that I used some time ago but unfortunately he doesn't process to meat anymore...Had the chance to use another butcher in Haldeman county and ended up with basically the pet pepperetts were dog food sooo disappointing he renumerated me with his own pepperats and products but it wasn't the same after a couple of years now I finally got out to go and do the controlled shot gun hunt I tagged out I was very happy I found another butcher that I thought might come through for me After taking the deer to his shop I got it back about a week and a 2 weeks later very good pepperette's nice butcher job we talked I asked him how much it weighed it yielded he started to weigh it and then he started to put it in the truck... Of course driving home I tried the peppers they were very good after being in the freezer for about a week I thought for some reason I should go down and weigh that total yield of meat much to my surprise 65 pounds of meat? I've had at least 4 or 5 years done nothing under 90 pounds when I shot the little 4 pointer and this year I only get back 65 pounds???... I called the butcher backup and asked him if I forgot a couple of bags in the freezer they were misplaced but he assured me that all the meat was cut from the bone processed and given to me ...I just have spider senses tingling that something's not right here.....

Attachments

• 20221110_084050.jpg
    20221110_084050.jpg
    364.3 KB · Views: 51
  • 20221109_191833.jpg
    20221109_191833.jpg
    334.1 KB · Views: 50
90lbs back seems very ambitious to me? What was hanging weight, also was it boneless or bone in. I process my own so I’m pretty keyed in on how much they get off a deer. This medium size buck was hanging weight 142ish give or take a pound or two. I ended up with roughly 65ish pounds including ground. Add to that there was very little meat loss on this deer to shot placement, and the bones where stripped clean.

Attachments

• F3C9E44F-FE78-492F-8A13-C24F62ECE81E.jpeg
    F3C9E44F-FE78-492F-8A13-C24F62ECE81E.jpeg
    634.7 KB · Views: 45
I would just take it to a butcher (or butcher it yourself) cut it into ground, roasts and steaks.
From there take it to a place like Atwood Heritage to make it into pepperettes, summer sausage, frying sausage, jerky etc.
and that way you can keep some steaks for the grill, a roast for a nice roast dinner and some ground for spaghetti sauce or whatever?
And this way you will know exactly what you’re getting and how much you’re putting into the other treat processing.

65 might not be far off. That’s a pretty slim buck, his ribs at the back appear lower than the wheel wells of the truck. He’s likely only 1 1/2 years old.

Meat Yields (In Pounds)​

AnimalWeight*MeatWaste%Meat
Lamb**50401080%
Hog2401895179%
Black Angus60043816273%
Holstein Steer90051338757%
Mature Buck1807210840%
*Carcass weight. Head, hide and intestines removed

Last edited:
Do your pepperettes not get blended with pork tho? Thought usually add 40% pork
I suppose not all places do this but that’s how I get mine made

That's when I started to think about the yield if 30% pork was added to the 25 pounds of pepperetts it just seems a little shy ... I payed the butcher in full as it's a trade and it was a nice presentation that I received... just not up on field dress to freezer lb... less bones weight ... next season I think I'll get a scale and take not on bone weight to the BBQ...thanks for the xhart ...

I think everyone who takes a deer to a butcher is disappointed with the total weight they get back. I cut up my own as well and the doe I got this year was 108lbs (yes, it was a nice mature doe) skinned with the head off. I got about 38lbs of boned meat. I probably could of got another couple of lbs if I would of boned the ribs out but I didn't. TC

I think everyone who takes a deer to a butcher is disappointed with the total weight they get back. I cut up my own as well and the doe I got this year was 108lbs (yes, it was a nice mature doe) skinned with the head off. I got about 38lbs of boned meat. I probably could of got another couple of lbs if I would of boned the ribs out but I didn't. TC
Honestly I’m always happy but I don’t ask the weight or care to know it
We also divi up all the meat with our group for every deer.
It’s nice that way too because at the end of the year the meat in my freezer is from several different deer

I'm fortunate my wife worked for a butcher shop for 12 years, her dad for 20 and now her dad started his own deal in his home shop so I know I'm always getting the most out of everything I get done

If you're making pepperettes and summer sausage, dry weight is way less than wet weight. Also the pork percentage. Plus
Shrinkage.

What locale do you live/hunt in ? We can offer up names of butchers for you to look into; Carriers in Houghton area, Vanessa Meats in Vanessa, Townsend Butchers in Simcoe or VG Meats just outside of Simcoe and maybe Norfolk Packers in Port Rowan/St. Williams area are a few that come to mind. As for yield ? So much depends on where it was hit and damage done and/or possible old wounds or growths that need to be discarded. We have found buckshot buried in some of ours. How quick and clean you process your fresh kill is important ; Field dress asap and we hose ours out with potable water back at the farmhouse and transport to butchers cooler asap or chuck a couple of bags of ice in the cavity depending on distance and weather.

What locale do you live/hunt in ? We can offer up names of butchers for you to look into; Carriers in Houghton area, Vanessa Meats in Vanessa, Townsend Butchers in Simcoe or VG Meats just outside of Simcoe and maybe Norfolk Packers in Port Rowan/St. Williams area are a few that come to mind. As for yield ? So much depends on where it was hit and damage done and/or possible old wounds or growths that need to be discarded. We have found buckshot buried in some of ours. How quick and clean you process your fresh kill is important ; Field dress asap and we hose ours out with potable water back at the farmhouse and transport to butchers cooler asap or chuck a couple of bags of ice in the cavity

I'm in 87E and thank you for the reply I'll keep those names in mind for next year's hunt ... and a few other buddies have sent me some names also...I think I'm going to purchase a game scale to have handy when I back the truck in ... and be a bit more inclined on the weight when I hang and get it dressed for the process ...

There is no way you would get that expected yield (90lbs) from a young 4 point. 40% of the field dressed weight is about right. And of course 25lbs of pepperettes wont weigh anywhere near 25lbs after processing. You probably didn't get ripped off. For sure you wont get the same yield from a butcher that you will get self processing. My guys in WV had over 200 deer hanging when I brought mine in. They just don't have the time to dissect a blood shot shoulder etc. Up here I've been using Jepsons in Hagersville and have had good luck. His pepperettes are good as well. I just had 25lbs made, deer, bear, pork in equal parts. Turned out excellent.

I usually butcher my own deer, except for the 3 from our muzzleload hunt..they went to a butcher cause Im not doing 3.
You will almost always get a bit more meat off a deer if you do it yourself. A butcher thats doing 200, 300, 500 deer a season dosnt have time to pick and clean every piece of meat off a carcass. Even doing it yourself, 40% of field weight is good..esp with a doe or a 1.5 yr old buck whos muscle to bone ratio is way less than a mature animal. Want more meat...shoot a bigger mature animal. A big mature dry doe is one of the best.

Heard about a butcher that comes to your door and does it at your place around the London area
I know my butcher does a great job of one deer at a time
even told a customer not to expect as much meat because of poor field dress and shot placement

Have anyone else noticed the price of pepperettes has gone up this year ? My butcher said the price of casings, packaging and spices have all doubled since last year. One of our guys killed a small deer so the price of skinning and butchering was $125 and we got about 40lbs of meat done in to pepperettes total cost was $600 I was floored !

To add to the amount of meat there was an article by Deer and Deer Hunting Magazine. The author shot a huge doe that field dressed 156 lbs. By the time the hide , legs , head, was off and it was deboned there was only 58lbs of meat so most hunters over estimate the amount of meat they get.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks