Fishing Report Burwell Sept 3 2021

Cap'nkirk

R.O.C. (Radio Operator's Certificate)
Got out of Burwell this morning took a 210 heading to 53 Fow trolled west to 55. Dipsey,s back 160 and 170 3 setting. Black and purple was the hot lure. Solo trip started at 8 finished at 11 with my limit also released 5 smalls to grow bigger. Lots of fish on the screen . Of course the sheep wanted to play as well . Seen this big boat tied to the pier with vehicles at the end of the pier. Strange for sure. 20210903_110352.jpg20210903_121333.jpg

It looks like you were the only one so far today that made it look easy. Nice haul. What size dipsys were you running? Did you have the rings on them or clean?

I am confused. Maybe you can shed some light. I try to apply the chart that comes with the dipsy to target the depth that the folks with riggers are saying gets results, say about 45 feet or so lately. By the chart, that would be 150 feet back with no ring and using the #3 setting. Now I get that there are variables like line diameter trolling speed and the like that play a role. I have tried to factor that in, the chart is based on 2.5 to 3 mph and 20 lb mono (equivalent to approx 50 lb braid). I use a 40 lb braid and thus it should run a little deeper than the chart, so I pay out the line as though I was using the #2 setting as my starting point. If it's not producing anything when I am marking fish, I tend to try less line to fish a little shallower, not wanting to fish below them. When I have two lines out, I start them out with a five foot difference in length and gradually let the deeper one out further and the shallower one, I bring in a little further to widen the gap to find some eager eaters. Honestly, I haven't had any luck at all letting out any more than 145 feet. Just curious if I am missing something or if I should be changing lures more often rather than the amount of line I have out? I have black dipsys only in the #1 size. In your opinion does the dipsy colour make a difference, acting sort of like an attractant like a flasher or dodger does? Your insights and any othrer

You will never exactly recreate what others do so many factors affect the depth: current, line, lure, the diameter of the line on your reel. It's a matter of trial and error I can't tell you the number of times I have read reports where someone has killed with dipseys, and mine stank, but their riggers didn't work and mine were on fire Consider the reports like a strike zone in baseball. It's a zone, you want to work towards. one of the reasons I love riggers. I can see the fish, I can see my presentation yesterday, my front finder showed a couple fish 10 foot below my riggers. I dropped my rigger 6 foot and hadn't even sat down when the rod fired. Can't to that with a dipsey

For me with dipseys, I run 00 dispeys with rings on 3 setting everywhere, all the time. Makes it easier to know where my bait is. Start at a certain amount of line out 80 foot works for me. If I am going over fish and not getting hits, I let out 15 foot at a time slowly letting the boat take it out. When I get a hit that's where I reset. Keep adjusting as required often as the sun climds, the fish move deeper

Do you keep a fishing log?
The attached may help. If it isn't readable, send me a pm and I will send the original file

Thanks spincast. I am not so much looking to duplicate others verbatim as looking for some guidelines to narrow down the search faster. Riggers are not really a possibility with my current boat (or budget) so poor mans options like dipsys and tadpole weights are my immediate future. I am not bitching either mind you as I have learned a lot from the info everyone has posted on the site - there was a day, not so long ago, when I couldn't have imagined what it was like "limiting out" on walleye and I have, with the help of those of you on the site, limited out twice this season and once almost limited out on both walleye and bows on the same outing. Now that my expectations have been buoyed accordingly, I am trying to become more consistent and get to a point where it sometimes doesn't take 6 or 7 hours to do it with the equipment that I have at my disposal. I am still, quite clearly, on a very steep part of the learning curve and trying to sponge up all I can to make some progress. Thanks to you and all who, without knowing it, have contributed thus far to helping catch more fish in a season (at least in terms of "desirables") than I have in the rest of my life combined. I get that there is no magic formula and there are going to be those days when I need to catch a sheephead or silver bass to keep from getting skunked, but I am striving to learn what I can to minimize those lean days. Also the missus would probably like my addiction more if it was efficient enough to get done while there was still enough daylight to get some stuff done around the house and yard before it got dark. Unlike Mrs. Stomp, and the lady fishers on the site, if my wife sees a fishing rod in the boat when we are going for a ride, she's out.✌️

Oh, and I don't keep a log, but that is a great idea. I already have a tough time keeping track of details now so I think I will start - must be why my PFD has a front chest pocket😁.

Being able to recreate what works in the given conditions is the secret to success almost all the excellent anglers I know keep a log. I wish I was better at keeping mine. I do it maybe 30% of my outings now

@Reel-ist your dipsy colour is fine.

My boat for a year was black port, metallic purple starboard.

Port always out fished starboard.

Changed purple to black this season, starboard meets and exceeds port's catch now.

Lures, if you are on bait and hooks, if what is in the water doesn't work, change it. Something in your box will get their attention, sometimes it is the wildest thing in the box.

Start shallower leads, extending your lines as needed, and don't get stuck on, "this worked yesterday."

All good stuff spincast and heavy hvyhaul. I will take and try just about anything that sounds plausible. To your point regarding trying the "wildest" thing in the box, for me it was the old Luhr Jensen 5 of diamonds, and some days (most in fact) it has been the best performer in the boat. Yesterday was the first outing where it failed to produce anything. I haven't heard anybody mention Mepps spinners ever on the site, but I can recall those things turning on the bite when nothing else worked. I haven't been taking them out in the boat with me this season, but maybe I will dig a couple out and give them a rinse if nothing else is getting any love.

@Reel-ist your dipsy colour is fine.

My boat for a year was black port, metallic purple starboard.

Port always out fished starboard.

Changed purple to black this season, starboard meets and exceeds port's catch now.

Lures, if you are on bait and hooks, if what is in the water doesn't work, change it. Something in your box will get their attention, sometimes it is the wildest thing in the box.

Start shallower leads, extending your lines as needed, and don't get stuck on, "this worked yesterday."
This year I've struggled compared to the last 2, being stuck on this worked yesterday has hurt my fishing this year...experiment...the fish will bite if they like what you have down there...wish I could get one more trip..working sucks..

Oh, and I don't keep a log, but that is a great idea. I already have a tough time keeping track of details now so I think I will start - must be why my PFD has a front chest pocket😁.

Every trip, brief notes as the day goes on.

jrnl.jpg

Neighbour and I talk and fill in additional information so there's a pretty good record of our trips.

Congrats Kirk! Don't have the courage to try Burwell on weekends. Only problem is that not many walleye migrated into Long Point Bay.

Every trip, brief notes as the day goes on.

View attachment 49396

Neighbour and I talk and fill in additional information so there's a pretty good record of our trips.
hvyhaul
That looks very much like a bible. In a way, "words to live by" will undoubtedly appear on the pages all the same.🙏 I think I will try something smaller to fit in the front pocket of my PFD. I think, knowing my habits, that I will be more likely to record things more regularly and timely while things are fresh in my mind if it's right handy. Can never have too much good information. Thanks for sharing.

Just curious if you refer to your logs often and under what circumstances? Memories fade, get distorted, old biases creep in ; black and white recordings aren't subject to any of that. If nothing else, it might be an entertaining read on those cold nights in the dead of winter while getting itchy for the start of another, as yet far away, season.🐟

Trust me, it's not a bible. LOL

Walmart $7 just lined pages, nothing fancy.

I have pictures, GoPro videos in my laptop.

My neighbour and I spend a lot of time together during and off season, reminiscing the past and planning the future.

My neighbour has his own journal which he completes at home after each venture.

My waypoints are dates so as the season moves along, I have an idea of which direction to go as fish seem to have patterns.

I was getting a little too detailed in documentation, so I backed off to just keep track of the catches not lures etc.

Posting F Reports is a great way of documenting what works and doesn't work as well.

Last edited:
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks