Burwell interesting issue

King Joe

SO, my recent good fish/goo time post aside. Want to talk about something I did come to at my usual launch at Burwell. Ok, so..i've been launching 'here' for at least 8 years; basically from a small flat section of creek edge between the steel wall end and start of concrete parking lot; a small section of creek edge about 100 feet long. This area is a common place for non-motored boats (canoe, kayaks, paddle boards, etc.)...though I have seen the odd jet ski try to go in here but that is rare. NOW, there is a crude barrier cutting off the end access to the water. Now there is a couple concrete barriers there and a piece of guardrail, likely absconded from the dump, chained to the concrete. Seriously, what is the point? If it is to focus canoers/yak'rs to the launch? There is no way I will launch at the boat launch another km upstream; for what, so I can now have to spend more time in a tight channel with boats before getting to open water? If it is to 'protect' this section of shoreline? that section that is graveled to waters edge and crisscrossed with walking paths linking this area to the beach and parking lot? Seriously? While I am going to do a bit of research and land title search (re: the legality of this), does anybody know anything about this barrier and the rationale for doing so?

Any thoughts or insight would be appreciated.

King Joe, Outa Here!

As I recall from the days I was helping with the submarine move, that land is private property owned by someone from out of town (at least I'm pretty sure it was then). Likely somebody came down and made a mess or did something stupid and it got blocked off. That is where the sub was unloaded from the barge so if you were to e-mail the Elgin Military Museum I'm sure they would know who owns it since they had to deal with them during that ordeal. I'm sure some of the locals would know too. Hell, if we can ramp out at 300 foot submarine, why shouldn't you be able to launch a kayak???

1297344904836_ORIGINAL.jpg

Last edited:
That's exactly the spot! I never actually realized how the sub got there. Amazing work...WOW! Yeah, but that is the spot. I will try to reach out the military museum. Thanks for the note.

King Joe Outa Here!

I would also talk to the local land registry office. They will have the accurate story in maps.

I don't if they are still there but up to a couple of years ago there were No Trespassing signs in that area. TC

I think all the Land registry offices are closed now. They went totally online and Digital.... 🐟 🐟 🐠

I am surprised you can find a free spot anywhere anymore someone owns the dirt no matter where you go and want their money things have changed a lot the last 20 years or so I take my dogs 2 times a day the last 5 years and my spots are dwindling no trespass signs going up everywhere I was pissed when the red gate trails were appearing all over years ago now glad they are there I am sure a day will come when you will pay by the hour to use them free ramps & touching someone's dirt is becoming a thing of the past the cities are expanding and many people are heading to lake front areas costs will go up Sorry for the rant I am kind of a hermit so fishing and the bush daily is my world and the changes are escalating quickly

I don't if they are still there but up to a couple of years ago there were No Trespassing signs in that area. TC
Not quite sure what you are saying but....for sure, no signs or barriers in my several years of using that area (the pic of the submarine shows it perfectly). Never in all my years launching there! Likewise, the other hundreds of people that park and launch motor-less craft or fish from the shore through the years also say otherwise. I do agree though that for sure, if you own a patch of dirt, you are gonna charge for use. AND, to be certain, I would have no problem paying an access fee for using 'this' patch of dirt because it is immediate to the water and is perfect for launching kayaks (and no competition with big boats and I don't have to dodge big boats and their wake in a narrowing channel upstream of this location).

I will give you this, that last year, with the high water...guys were trying to drive into the muck to get closer to the water (as close as we 'used to' when water is low....like it is now). That access in the mud mucked things up a bit for sure. BUT, it is a gravel road now....and based on the sub pic, was a gravel launch before supporting a frigging submarine! My yak weighs about as much as a porthole door in that sub.

I will continue to check this legality of this out. A couple things come to mind; the Provincial Agrologists Act section prohibiting access to Crown Land and Navigable Waters.....and maybe ownership of floodplain for use other than shoreline protection.

All in all, there is no way...when I already am paddling MILES to fish...that I am gonna add miles to launch upstream of the bridge at a marina that will also charge my $10 to do so (Erieau charges $5 to park my truck and there is no competition to launch as 1 of the 2 launch bays is for small craft). Its a crappy situation at Burwell; one that almost makes me want to punch a puppy in the face (that's mad...hah).

King Joe Outa Here!

Not quite sure what you are saying but....for sure, no signs or barriers in my several years of using that area (the pic of the submarine shows it perfectly). Never in all my years launching there! Likewise, the other hundreds of people that park and launch motor-less craft or fish from the shore through the years also say otherwise. I do agree though that for sure, if you own a patch of dirt, you are gonna charge for use. AND, to be certain, I would have no problem paying an access fee for using 'this' patch of dirt because it is immediate to the water and is perfect for launching kayaks (and no competition with big boats and I don't have to dodge big boats and their wake in a narrowing channel upstream of this location).

I will give you this, that last year, with the high water...guys were trying to drive into the muck to get closer to the water (as close as we 'used to' when water is low....like it is now). That access in the mud mucked things up a bit for sure. BUT, it is a gravel road now....and based on the sub pic, was a gravel launch before supporting a frigging submarine! My yak weighs about as much as a porthole door in that sub.

I will continue to check this legality of this out. A couple things come to mind; the Provincial Agrologists Act section prohibiting access to Crown Land and Navigable Waters.....and maybe ownership of floodplain for use other than shoreline protection.

All in all, there is no way...when I already am paddling MILES to fish...that I am gonna add miles to launch upstream of the bridge at a marina that will also charge my $10 to do so (Erieau charges $5 to park my truck and there is no competition to launch as 1 of the 2 launch bays is for small craft). Its a crappy situation at Burwell; one that almost makes me want to punch a puppy in the face (that's mad...hah).

King Joe Outa Here!
The spot I'm talking about is left of the sub when you come down the hill. I could be mixing it up with the area under the bridge. I've launched there before as well (to fish upstream) but now that I have a peddle drive 'yak I doubt I could haul up from the creek to the lane where I park. TC

Yeah, the area I launch is left of the sub also...as in, go down the hill and turn left....and drive to the end (about 100yds) to the end of that patch of land...access is immediate to water.

King Joe Outa Here!

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks