Off Topic Bugs and insect repellent?

vmuravin

R.O.C. (Radio Operator's Certificate)
Hi All,

As subject - Lake Ontario was really bad today. How do you handle all these insects, which swarm your boat and paint it in black? Does anyone use something like an area repellent on a boat? If yes, which one would you recommend? How does Erie compare to Ontario in terms of insects?

Thank you in advance.

Last edited:
I've "heard" of guys having success with horse spray for flies... I pack a head netting if they get real bad... They don't bite just a pain in the ass to clean up after... Baby wipes for areas that need to be wiped down and LOTS of vacuuming... Have never seen them that bad on Erie...

I may buy a gas powered leaf blower for them... lol

I use my Thermacell. works really well for hunting and bugs out of burwell. not sure how they would work with these black flies

I run a fan at my ankle level and can't remember the name but it is a bug repellent for horses that they sell at TSC

Perfectly safe, just saw Mr. Trump on TV saying how he is now drinking it to help fight Covid-19?, none of these things are that safe unfortunately or they wouldn't keep the bugs away, or wouldn't work at all. The fans are a good way to go, I have to get this added to the boat but keep forgetting to each year.

Perfectly safe, just saw Mr. Trump on TV saying how he is now drinking it to help fight Covid-19?, none of these things are that safe unfortunately or they wouldn't keep the bugs away, or wouldn't work at all. The fans are a good way to go, I have to get this added to the boat but keep forgetting to each year.
Your response is not funny at all, could have just said "I use fans".

Bronco spray ??. I’m a huge fan of thermacells for hunting and camping but never had much luck with them while trolling and moving around.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks