Bruce/Burwell pack

Pikefishinfever

With all the boats out between Bruce and Burwell over the weekend, I thought there would be lots of posts boasting limits. So, in the lack of posts, does that mean they were all out for nothing, or too busy cleaning fish to bother? Just curious because I have only been out once (from Stanley) and managed only 6. Need a few good reports to guide this "newbie" to the promised land!

Bogz

I dont know if it's a function of not having to log in to view posts, but it seems the fishing reports often get upwards of 1000 views. It may be a case of the "regulars/locals" who already know where and when the fish are biting given the time or year and conditions, but chose not to put out an internet APB to have jammed launches/parking lots and another 200 boats on the area, aren't posting up their success.
This board has been a great resource to me as well as I just started fishing Erie when I got my first boat last year, the above is just my opinion of what the reason may be re your question.
BTW I was out in the area you mentioned yesteday and we caught 2 limits in 5 hours. Lots of smaller ones to thow back, but still decent numbers of Jumbos. Being a weekday there were 6-7 other boats spread out in the area.

Goodluck if you get out!

IMG00169-20110614-1556.jpg

Good point Quackers, never really thought of it like that. I really just like pictures like yours(nice catch), it gets me fired up and ready to get out there...........and I guess all I really need to do is go and the pack will guide me to said "promised land" anyway.

Bogz

"The Pack" isn't always on the fish. If the perch are under you they'll generally bite. If you're not getting fish in 15-20 minutes, or not getting steady action, keep moving. Change depths and move east or west to try and find an active school. I'd guess they're chasing shiners this time of year and go where the shiners are. I always take a pair of binos in the boat to keep and eye on where the crowds are gathering but don't be afraid to pick a spot and fish it. I've had some good days away from the herd with few other boats around. The same goes for the walleye fishing later on. The pack generally draws more boats just because it's there. Over time you'll build up your own good waypoints and have lots of places to try when looking for the schools.
I also think you can hook more fish when the bite is light with a straight line rig with a 1/2oz-3/4oz sinker on bottom and 2 hooks right on the line 1-2' off bottom and 1' apart, than with the "pickerel rigs". Also use 20lb braid on the perch rods with a 10lb fluro leader.
This all may seem like overkill but if your losing alot of minnows and not hooking fish it helps.

Thanks again Quackers............that's why I like this forum so much. It doesn't matter what your question is, or what kind of problem you may be having, someone always steps up with a suggestion or solution. Learning all the time from you guys and gals, THANK YOU ALL!

Bogz

Hey guys---dont want to sound like a broken record but has anyone seen any action on Bruce pier on your way out/in.

Want to make a run down that way and dont want a 1 1/2 drive for nothing.

Thanks

[img=left]http://www.myfishingpictures.com/img/067096.gif[/img=left]

quote:
Originally posted by packrat

Hey guys---dont want to sound like a broken record but has anyone seen any action on Bruce pier on your way out/in.

Want to make a run down that way and dont want a 1 1/2 drive for nothing.

Thanks

Went out of Burwell 7am and west yesterday, there were 10-12 people out on the end of the rocks and 3-4 boats in close so I'd imagine they were catching something but don't have a report. We fished 29' yesterday and have seen the boats in shallower the last week so may be some fish in closer to shore.

Packrat....I've been to the pier the last two Sundays in a row. Both times in the am early till around noon and got 20+ both times.
Buddy of mine went last Sunday afternoon till dusk he got 20+ also.
He said a few other left with limits.

Bogz

quote:
Originally posted by Pikefishinfever

Packrat....I've been to the pier the last two Sundays in a row. Both times in the am early till around noon and got 20+ both times.
Buddy of mine went last Sunday afternoon till dusk he got 20+ also.
He said a few other left with limits.

Bogz

Bogz thanks for the info---owe you a Timmies:)

Was only a handful of people fishing the pier yesterday afternoon. Not normally a good sign if the "bite" is on. Might have just been an off day though. It was an east wind.

2011_june8kitty1.jpg

fished p bruce tuesday wednesday nothing very slow,even the boats were having a tough time catching fish,going to try friday morn.there were tons of minnows on wednesday to be dipped but no perch.

Gonna try Bruce or Burwell Fri. as well. First time out in the boat this year, hope all goes well. Good luck to all, will report results.

Friend of mine was out yesterday morning from Port Stanley, 28ft straight out from the pumping station, 2hrs 35 perch............so I decided to take my 8 yr old daughter after work. 3 hours, 0 fish, 0 bites, guess I can't win! Tried 28, 25 and 32ft, nothing. Haven't given up yet, next time out of Bruce and I have a feeling I'm gonna hammer the little buggers!

Bogz

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks