Bronte Madness

KirkM

Had a great time last year when fishing for Salmon at Bronte near hwy 5. Landed several fish above 15lbs and of course released them afterwards.

Well, tried again today with a buddy and we decided to try Petrocan Park for a change. Wow! hundreds of Salmon and not too many people compared to what I'd thought there would be. You have to understand that Bronte is a very narrow creek at points but then it gets really wide once you get closer to the peir, so seeing that many fish was crazy.

I hooked a couple around the 20lb range but lost em in the fight. Anyone that has never gone, its a tonne of fun and an incredible fight. plan on releasing them, because they are not the best tasting out of the creek since they are there to spawn and die. there's also the odd large Brown trout as well.

Good luck and be safe!

Its the right type of fishing for the right person... I love doing it, but I always lose lures. Its all part of the game.

What are you guys catching them with? never gone and would like to take my son he's 8 and would probably love it!

AHHH The Fishin Life!

I always used marshmallow or bag of row with 18" leader.Use a eggsinker above swivel.Also you can chuck little cleo's or swedish pimples also,but do not get caught snaggin them cause that's illegal and other fellow fisherman do not appretiate that type of tactic while they are (still fishin)!!!have fun and take a kid fishin!!

There are a million diferent ways to hook Salmon in the creek, but my favourite has been bouncing spoons off the bottom where there is current(you will lose lures, so be prepared and buy cheap five pacs from Walmart for $5.00). Theres also using floats with about 2 ft of lead and either a small marshmellow or roe bag on a treble hook, or single and add some split shot just below the bobber to get the line down.

I have seen lots of dads taking their boys and they are so excited when they see the fish in the water and shooting up the stream. Its quite fun to watch their reaction. The best spot to go is Petrocan Park off Bronte road as it is very accessable to the creek, and you can walk up stream from there.

One word comes to my mind: ethics

Dan B.

www.Fish-A-Thon.com

rsz_1rsz_1rsz_100_1368.jpg
187931_111125182274045_2211041_n.jpg

I went out to Bronte once and to The Maitland once. What I observed turned me off fall river fishing for good. In both cases I witnessed several guys snagging fish with trebles. When they landed them the gutted them for roe and threw em on the bank. I was actually ashamed for them. When i cornered one guy on it a riot nearly broke out as the other snaggers came to his rescue.

I dont wish anyone ill will here but i firmly believe that the fishing should actually be closed when the salmon and trout re enter the rivers. This is our future fishery here and they should not be disturbed.

A lot of arguements will be made for both sides. I know there are many folks who are just looking for a great time fishing and have no intention of harming the ecosystem. This is just me 2 cent worth.

Kirk I am glad you released them. But in the big picture you need to remember these fish are very close to death at that point and need all the energy they can spare for spawning. Any hit you get at this time of year is from aggresion not hunger. They do not feed at this point and need all the reserves for the big journey

It would be very interesting to see a study done on the effects of catch and release on the actual spawning cycle at this time of year.

I can't say that I agree about closing the rivers for fall fishing as there are 1000's of good ethical guys out there who live to fish the river BUT I've been to Bronte and although the scene is a bit disturbing most guys were just floating or tossing lures ethically. I did however see some very disturbing things up there like guys taking WAY more roe then one man could ever possibly need, several males taken and gutted by those who believed they were females but what was possibly the worst sight to see was that 90% of the people up there have absolutely no concern or respect for the enviroment!! That place resembeles the salford dumb for TRASH EVERYWHERE!!! That to me is completely unacceptable this day in age and those folks should be ashamed!! When I fish our ( Norfolk, Oxford and Bayham Counties ) rivers its a rare sight to see any garbage at all and most times the good old country boys around here will race to clean it up! I guess there is a huge difference between the city rats and the respecting country style folk in my region, come on city slickers have some respect for mother nature!! I guess we have to put our faith in the rules set up by the MNR as they usually are always one step ahead creating sanctuaries and limited seasons and if there rules are obeyed I say go have some fun!! There should be someone keeping an eye out for these trash rats though! FB

Be thankful you were in Canada. We used to go to Michigan - Platte River area up near Traverse City back in the late 70's - early 80's. We were after some cohoes and were back in off the road about a mile and came across a camp with several large men and they were snagging the crap out of the salmon. My friend was about to say something but I stopped him when the coat of one of them came open exposing a rather large pistol under his arm.

Needless to say we said goodbye and flew out of there. We notified the CO's a few miles down the road. It is big business over there and looks like they will go to any lengths to keep it going.

I agree with Elevatorman. It has everything to do with ethics.

And a warning to anyone who goes.... before you reach down to tail your catch take a very good look at both sides of the fish before grabbing hold. I've seen way too many fish that look alot like todays pierced teenagers, hooks and lures adorning every inch of some fish. I really wouldn't want to get stuck to a thrashing 20# Boot. Gives me the Willies just thinking of it.

Oh ya, Do the fish a favour and leave the light rods at home. I use 30# braid for mian line and at least 15# flourocarbon so I can get fish in as fast as possible so they have a chance at surviving after release. Upon release don't just dump them into the water. If a fish is exhausted at least prop them up in moving water with a rock on either side to hold them up so they can breathe and rejuvinate.

If you need to take treble hooks to Bronte to get fish in that water, sell your rods and take up golf.

Have heard of a few missing pinkies due to tailing salmon that have a few extra hooks in the tail region...not a good idea lol

005.jpg

yea i was at bronte creek on friday . And there was prolly about 5 guys mexicans or something prolly dont even have fishing license. And they were all snagging i told them you know your not supposed to be doing that. did they listen Nope. They ended up getting one clearly hooked in the tail. and they kept it . and they were trying to net the fishing coming up the rapids. I know if it was only one of them i would of prolly cracked him one in the head.

Thanks for all this info guys. I have never fished salmon and its good to know the proper edicate. My forfathers and I have always been fisherman and have made a long standing tradition to respect the rules of the land and our great Country.

AHHH The Fishin Life!

Since I started this post, and its caught itense interest I feel I personally need to be clear and say that I do not try to snag Salmon. And i never keep any, nor take the roe. If I do snag one, I bring it in as quick as possible and release it. But it is good that people are raising awareness about good salmon fishing edicate, keep it up, its great info.

I’ve fished sockeye salmon in Alaska’s Russian River for most of the past 20 years and have never gone after a Lake Ontario salmon - til this past Sunday when I decided to try out Bronte Creek.

I found that much of the creek is less than a foot deep. The few two-feet deep pools that did hold fish were surrounded by fishermen. So I went after the ones in the rocky shallows. I hooked three - right in the yapper - and was greatly disappointed by their sluggish response. The water was so shallow they had no room to maneuver and seemed to have little energy - comp#817;ared to my experience fishing the similarly shallow Russian River. They were little more than dead weight I had to drag to shore to unhook and release.

I can’t afford to go back to the Russian but I don’t think I’ll ever go back to the Bronte again.

I forgot to add that the 6-8 pound sockeye in the Russian will explode out of a pool and rocket downstream in a reel-screaming rush. Not so the Bronte. I used break off nearly half the fish I hooked when I used 20 pound test below my flyline so I switched to 25 pound test. Fishing the Bronte is no such thrill. Anyone know where the action in southern Ontario is similar to what I found on the Russian?

im new here but this post caught my eye. I am a regular at bronte. it is one of the closest salmon runs to me. i used to fish in the creek and i used t snag. it is how i was taught. but tahank youto some fisherman who spoke up and made me think. i rearely fish the creek now. i prefer to fish the harbour, casting lures, looking for agressive fish that will actually hit the lure and fight hard. i maynot hook up as much as others in the river. but ido get more of a fight. i have had many good fights in the river in the past but his year the water is low and warm. i can only imagine it is like hauling in boots.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks