Braid, Mono or Flouro?

trky chsr

Picked up a new rod and reel combo that I will be setting up for perch. This will be mostly drifting live bait and jigging light lures in the Inner Bay of Long Point from my kayak, not out in 60ft of water. Any preference for line type? I know each type has their strong points but I would like to know your preferences. Personally I'm thinking 6 or 8lb braid with a mono or flourocarbon leader. Any input would be appreciated. TC

Perch won't rank among the most intelligent wary fish. Straight braid , 8 or 10 pound . Can use a leader if wanted but i was catching just as many perch on 20 paid on a bass pole.

When you hook one of these the fun really begins

Attachments

• 5B1BABA1-AA4F-4CD1-87C9-819F148BFC9B.jpeg
    5B1BABA1-AA4F-4CD1-87C9-819F148BFC9B.jpeg
    325.4 KB · Views: 10
Picked up a new rod and reel combo that I will be setting up for perch. This will be mostly drifting live bait and jigging light lures in the Inner Bay of Long Point from my kayak, not out in 60ft of water. Any preference for line type? I know each type has their strong points but I would like to know your preferences. Personally I'm thinking 6 or 8lb braid with a mono or flourocarbon leader. Any input would be appreciated. TC
Couple years ago I switched from 12lb mono to 10lb and 15lb braid on 2 of my 3 fishing rods that I'll use for perch. My son still can't get used to using braid vs mono, but he has his own fishin rods now so he can use one of his own instead of using mine from now on when he gets out with me, but I'm still hibernating, and will be for at least another 3-4 months minimum. I have lots of fish from earlier this year in the freezer still so I'm not concerned about running out yet. ;)

I put light line on my ultra light rod
4lb mono for me.
On a jogging rod I put 12lb mono

For rod that I would troll around the bay 20lb braid

I usually make Fluorocarbon drop-shot rigs about 2 or 3 feet long with 2 hooks. I use 15 pound leader material. The benefit is that it's more pike resistant and even if bit off I can replace it immediately. It does not matter if I'm spooled with mono, fluoro or braid. I just use a snap swivel on the main line to attach the rigs. It also allows me to have a variety of rigs for different applications. I usually store them in zip-lock bags with a description i.e. size of hooks, and distance of lower hook to sinker.
Happy New Year !

I usually make Fluorocarbon drop-shot rigs about 2 or 3 feet long with 2 hooks. I use 15 pound leader material. The benefit is that it's more pike resistant and even if bit off I can replace it immediately. It does not matter if I'm spooled with mono, fluoro or braid. I just use a snap swivel on the main line to attach the rigs. It also allows me to have a variety of rigs for different applications. I usually store them in zip-lock bags with a description i.e. size of hooks, and distance of lower hook to sinker.
Happy New Year !
Happy New Year Arnie! I do the same thing with my rigs with regards to the zip-loc bags. Great way to organize your rigs for easy I.D.

hey I am just passing on experience

best braid.. Berkley crystal fireline myself for LPB perch.. 4lb test
I been out fished on lighter braid only by a couple big perch..ya jigging with buddy had 2lb test(dont no the brand he used).. remember that day clearly out off the old cut.and the 2 others with us didnt get a bite..
you wanna catch clear low oxygen summer water trout..the lightest of limpest line..

ya when you have to you can tie a light leader go with micro a little stronger made for ice pan fishing

..we also used many of maggots from rotton ronnies for LPB crappies and gills fishing the cuts.. light line as well

hey are LPB winters were icy cold I kept my maggots/waxies in a pill container with sawdust in my armpit..

Last edited:
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks