Boxing Day - Could not resist

mcsteve

While browsing the web sites for the Boxing Day specials I found an item I just could not resist. I picked up a GoPro outdoor camera. The new boat has been a lot of fun this year but since I have been solo in the boat for most of my fishing time I have not been able to get many pics of my catch. I mostly C&R and try to get them back in with as little stress as possible. This new cam will mount in the boat and capture about 6!hours of video that I can the pull stills off. So in 2013 I should be able to post some pics rather than just viewing everyone else's. I love new toys! Now I have to wait for it to be delivered (I was not brave enough to actually venture into the stores so I ordered online)

Sorry, been on the road all day. I pick it up at Future Shop. Best Buy has them as we'll. here is the link for the Future Shop product. They have quite a few versions but this one is the best deal going (according to my kids, who know a lot more about this stuff than I do).
http://www.futureshop.ca/EN-CA/product/id/10232695.aspx

their so called "original price" of $219 + 250 = $469 is total BS. last christmas i bought a gopro hero for $180 and the 2's were $250 back then. canadian tire is also horrible for listing higher original prices when they put their items on sale to make it look like you're getting a good deal. you really have to check prices as a $100 "savings" could really only be a $5 savings off their actual original price.

if you goto this link you will find the NEW hero 3 model that's comparable to the hero 2 is regular $249. buying an obsolete camera for $30 less than the new model (which is capable of far more features)is definitely not a good deal.

people are dumping hero2's like crazy now and there's a tons of great deals on used ones. trust me, the 3 is what you want.

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/gopro.aspx

I have to say ch312 is right.Whenever you're in the market for a particular product you have to do some research.CTC is bad for advertising reg. price way higher than sale price.Some of the other stores like FShop and BBuy you have to compare the products and prices online.There are good deals to be found just do your homework.This is especially true for Boxing Day sales.Sometimes retailers take advantage of impulse buyers to unload older stock at less comparable prices.It's always best to know what you want and what you're willing to spend.

quote:
Originally posted by ch312

their so called "original price" of $219 + 250 = $469 is total BS. last christmas i bought a gopro hero for $180 and the 2's were $250 back then. canadian tire is also horrible for listing higher original prices when they put their items on sale to make it look like you're getting a good deal. you really have to check prices as a $100 "savings" could really only be a $5 savings off their actual original price.

if you goto this link you will find the NEW hero 3 model that's comparable to the hero 2 is regular $249. buying an obsolete camera for $30 less than the new model (which is capable of far more features)is definitely not a good deal.

people are dumping hero2's like crazy now and there's a tons of great deals on used ones. trust me, the 3 is what you want.

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/gopro.aspx

My son today purchased a LCD screen for $89.99, which mounts on the back of the camera. It's nice to be able to see what pictures or video you are trying to record.

Jim

I love it when people share their opinion of the value of something without actually checking apples to apples. CH312, if you want the 3 then go ahead and get one. I am positive you will be quite happy with it. For me, and what i want to do with it, the extra bucks were not worth it.

As for the opinion of how retailers price, OMG, they want to sell us something and will stretch the descriptions and push the limit of what can be considered true. Is this really a surprise to anyone. After all, Future Shop and Best Buy are the same company. FS was bought by BB several years ago yet they still operate separately and compete in the same markets by building bog box outlets that eliminate most other competitors.

I guess I got caught up in the spirit of the holidays by posting an opinion. Sorry, won't do that again.

CH the one that is a 250 savings comes with the bacpack and remote as well.. did the ones your talking about? I seen it listed for 220. my nephew and I both got one and he loves it. I bought mine for the same reason as mcsteve. As for the hero 3... good luck finding one in the stores.. we went to 3 stores and not one had one.. only 2's available.. and the price was double... and the features listed dont make it sound worth the price... mcsteve its a good buy imo.. I look forward to your pics in 2013.

quote:
Originally posted by mcsteve

I love it when people share their opinion of the value of something without actually checking apples to apples. CH312, if you want the 3 then go ahead and get one. I am positive you will be quite happy with it. For me, and what i want to do with it, the extra bucks were not worth it.

As for the opinion of how retailers price, OMG, they want to sell us something and will stretch the descriptions and push the limit of what can be considered true. Is this really a surprise to anyone. After all, Future Shop and Best Buy are the same company. FS was bought by BB several years ago yet they still operate separately and compete in the same markets by building bog box outlets that eliminate most other competitors.

I guess I got caught up in the spirit of the holidays by posting an opinion. Sorry, won't do that again.

mcsteve, i said nothing that justified a response like that and saying that you'll stop contributing because one person disagrees with your opinion is childish.

anyways, you can't really compare apples to apples as the 3 white edition is smaller, lighter, has a much better lens with less fisheye, and wi-fi is built in.

quote:
Originally posted by live2fish

CH the one that is a 250 savings comes with the bacpack and remote as well.. did the ones your talking about? I seen it listed for 220. my nephew and I both got one and he loves it. I bought mine for the same reason as mcsteve. As for the hero 3... good luck finding one in the stores.. we went to 3 stores and not one had one.. only 2's available.. and the price was double... and the features listed dont make it sound worth the price... mcsteve its a good buy imo.. I look forward to your pics in 2013.

yes, the hero 3 that's regular $249 comes with wi-fi as it's built in eliminating the need for an extra wifi pack. the only hero 3 that's double the price of the 2's is the black edition and it's worth every penny for those who actually need the added features. they went all out with the black edition and it's basically the best helmet cam on the market.

hero 2 w/ wifi and remote = $248 total at FS

OR order online from amazon...

hero 3 white (wifi is built in) w/ remote = $275 total w/ free shipping

$27 more for a smaller and better camera is definitely worth it :p

don't forget that your smart phone or tablet can be used with the wifi meaning you can use your cell phone to watch a live feed of the video you're recording and also use the phone instead of buying a remote. if you go that route, you're looking at $199 total for the hero 3 white edition off amazon ;)

Lucked out....... After reading this post at work decided to try and find the $220 deal for the hero2 pkg. Be great on the boat next year. Reserved one (probably the last) for online pickup in London (BB). Went there a couple days later only to find that they had not set it aside. They were out of GoPro cameras completely. To make up for the mix up they gave me a rain check for a Hero3 with remote for $214.99.They should be in this week. That’s customer service at its best........

SWORN TO TRUTH
biatsig.jpg

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks