BOX BLIND ON WHEELS

SouthernOntariosportsman

Wondering on what style home built blinds exists out there, I recently acquired a decent boat trailer double axle. And would like to build a hard blind on it, *ft posts will be welded in place and squared up to make the platform. If anyone would like to share some pictures of theirs, so i could pulls some ideas that work well and piece one together for this upcoming deer season.
I figure since all 4 tires are in great shape that a movable blind would suit me well in one of the properties i have to hunt on.
I have googles videos , webpages, and pictures. They seem straight forward, but it's the people that own them that have the knowledge if something works well, or if they had to change up something to accommodate better. Post a picture, not of your property , or anything recognizable , The more pictures of features built in would be something to have a look at, the outside i think i know what style to go with, I'm thinking more of creature comforts that are built in.

I've heard debates as to whether building a blind on a trailer is actually legal in Ontario. Depends on whether or not it's considered a 'conveyance' under the F&W Conservation Act. I don't know the official answer but maybe worth investigating.

As @Crestliner16 has stated, it is illegal to have a loaded firearm in a conveyance without having a disability and the appropriate permit.

A conveyance is defined as "a vehicle, boat, or aircraft" and a trailer is a type of vehicle as defined by the Highway Traffic Act.

One of my tree stands sits right over a rotted out old car with no wheels or motor. I was chatting with a CO one day and mentioned that it would make a nice turkey blind, if it weren't illegal. They were quick to confirm that I can't shoot from the car, regardless of whether it had wheels or a motor!

Are you sure this restriction doesn't only apply to motorized vehicles. As an example you can legally hunt from a canoe, but not a motorized boat or a canoe being towed by a motorized boat. If the trailer was hooked up to a tractor or truck, it would be a no go, however if not I can't see there being an issue. Just my $.02

I think it's dumb that it would be illegal (and I've heard both sides claim to be supported by CO's), but strictly speaking I can see how a trailer fits the definition of a 'vehicle' in the same way that a rail car does.
Excerpts and definitions below are from the Fish and Wildlife Conservation Act:
https://www.ontario.ca/laws/statute/97f41

Loaded firearms in hunting areas​

17 (1) A person who is in an area usually inhabited by wildlife or who is on the way to or from an area usually inhabited by wildlife shall not,

(a) have a loaded firearm in or on a conveyance or discharge a firearm from a conveyance, except if,

(i) the conveyance is a boat that is not a motorboat, or

(ii) the conveyance is a motorboat and the person is hunting migratory birds in accordance with the regulations under the Migratory Birds Convention Act, 1994 (Canada);

Vehicles, boats and aircraft, use for hunting, etc.​

Vehicles​

24 (1) A person shall not use a vehicle for the purpose of killing, injuring, capturing, harassing, pursuing or chasing wildlife.

Boats​

(2) A person shall not use a boat for the purpose of killing, injuring, capturing, harassing, pursuing or chasing wildlife.

Aircraft​

(3) A person shall not use an aircraft while hunting.

Exceptions​

(4) Subsections (2) and (3) do not apply in the circumstances prescribed by the regulations. 1997, c. 41, s. 24.

“conveyance” means a vehicle, boat, or aircraft; (“moyen de transport”)

“vehicle” means any kind of vehicle that is driven, propelled or drawn on land or ice by any kind of power, including muscular power, and includes the rolling stock of a railway; (“véhicule”)

Are you sure this restriction doesn't only apply to motorized vehicles. As an example you can legally hunt from a canoe, but not a motorized boat or a canoe being towed by a motorized boat. If the trailer was hooked up to a tractor or truck, it would be a no go, however if not I can't see there being an issue. Just my $.02
You are 100% correct

FWIW, I sent the question by email to MNRF this morning and will post if they ever respond.
I get the impression that it might depend who you ask, they're not all on the same page. Some have been told the wheels need to be removed and/or the trailer jacked up off the ground to be legal.

Laws can never be written to address the particulars of every situation. There will always be officers who enforce the intent of the law and those who enforce the letter of the law.

Build starts tomorrow, 2 emails i have from director of MNR and my field Co,
Fear does nothing for me, As letter stats, there is no law regarding what i want to do.
Thanks for all the replies.

Build starts tomorrow, 2 emails i have from director of MNR and my field Co,
Fear does nothing for me, As letter stats, there is no law regarding what i want to do.
Thanks for all the replies.
I think you’re good with your emails nothing to be afraid of.. not like you’re looking at jail time even if you run into the super hero CO.

Dual axle trailer ? P i t a to move around ? Are you building a blind big enough for 8 guys ? Will it have a toilet and sink/stove ? Satellite TV ?

Dual axle trailer ? P i t a to move around ? Are you building a blind big enough for 8 guys ? Will it have a toilet and sink/stove ? Satellite TV ?
A toilet would be nice,
Hate it when I have to poo before I’m ready to end my sit

This is the email I sent to MNRF:

Hello,

A question regarding hunting regulations and the Fish & Wildlife Conservation Act (FWCA):

Is it legal to hunt (incl. possessing a loaded firearm and discharging it) from a hunting blind constructed on a trailer with wheels and tow hitch? The trailer would be stationary and not attached to a tow vehicle or power source. In other words, would this trailer/blind be considered a "conveyance" as it pertains to the FWCA?

This is the response I received:

Thank you for your email.

As per the definitions “conveyance" means a vehicle, boat, or aircraft; (“moyen de transport”).
“Vehicle” means any kind of vehicle that is driven, propelled, or drawn on land or ice by any kind of power, including muscular power, and includes the rolling stock of a railway; (“véhicule”). As the trailer can be drawn on land, it would be considered a vehicle.

Only posting to show that there are differences in opinion around how the law should be interpreted. Personally, I wouldn't be too concerned if I had written approval.

So what is the law for hunting out of a boat? I was of the understanding you could hunt Cormorants out of a boat with engine off and trimmed up.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks