BOX BLIND ON WHEELS

So what is the law for hunting out of a boat? I was of the understanding you could hunt Cormorants out of a boat with engine off and trimmed up.
There are exemptions for coromorants and migratory birds:

From FWCA:

Loaded firearms in hunting areas​

17 (1) A person who is in an area usually inhabited by wildlife or who is on the way to or from an area usually inhabited by wildlife shall not,

(a) have a loaded firearm in or on a conveyance or discharge a firearm from a conveyance, except if,

(i) the conveyance is a boat that is not a motorboat, or

(ii) the conveyance is a motorboat and the person is hunting migratory birds in accordance with the regulations under the Migratory Birds Convention Act, 1994 (Canada);

(b), (c) Repealed: 2009, c. 33, Sched. 22, s. 2 (10).

(d) in a part of Ontario prescribed by the regulations, have a loaded firearm in, or discharge a firearm in or across, a right of way for public vehicular traffic; or

(e) in a part of Ontario to which clause (d) does not apply, discharge a firearm in or across the travelled portion of a right of way for public vehicular traffic. 1997, c. 41, s. 17 (1); 2009, c. 33, Sched. 22, s. 2 (10).

From O. Reg 665-98 (Hunting):

63.1 Clause 17 (1) (a) of the Act does not apply to a person who has a loaded firearm in or on a conveyance or discharges a loaded firearm from a conveyance if,

(a) the person is hunting double-crested cormorant in accordance with the Act and the regulations; and

(b) the conveyance is a motorboat which is not in motion and the power to the motor has been turned off. O. Reg. 434/20, s. 4.

Migratory birds are a Federal issue as opposed to hunting on land a Provincial one ? When duck hunting the general rule is the boat must not be under power (as in moving) the motor can remain in the water and be running but not in gear and all forward motion stopped. I think there was an amendment to that rule that allows you to be under power solely for the purpose of retrieving and dispatching a cripple.

Under the Ontario regulations you can hunt out of a boat as long as it is not powered. Shoot a moose out of a canoe or row boat, you are good to go, shoot a moose out of a canoe or row boat with any type of motor attached, whether under power or not, and you are breaking provincial laws. As others pointed out Migratory bird hunting follows federal laws so a different story. In some provinces you just have to cut the engine and you can shoot whatever you want.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks