Bowhunting for deer

HotPickle

Hey guys! I got my hunters ed course done this summer, and picked up a compound. I've been practicing like crazy, still dont have an effective range outside 15 yds, but I'll get there. I dont know anyone who bowhunts, everyone is in to rifles (and thinks I made a mistake buying the bow but I'm in love with the hunt, if I dont get a deer my first year I totally understand that's how she goes).

Do you guys who know what you're doing have anything that can help me figure out what I'm doing and learn about Bowhunting? I'm gonna be going for deer and turkey.. Anything from shooting tips to animal behaviour. Magazines, books, podcasts, websites, anything. I know anyone can put anything on the internet so I'm trying to spend less time deciding what to read, so i can just read it.

Thanks!

Also, if anyone wouldn't mind taking me out once or twice I'd really appreciate that. I know it's a lot to ask, but I'm not interested in taking your buck. I'd actually love to see your hard work pay off. It'd be a wicked learning experience and I can even leave my bow at home. If fishing taught me anything, reading and videos dont make up for experience

Also, if anyone wouldn't mind taking me out once or twice I'd really appreciate that. I know it's a lot to ask, but I'm not interested in taking your buck. I'd actually love to see your hard work pay off. It'd be a wicked learning experience and I can even leave my bow at home. If fishing taught me anything, reading and videos dont make up for experience
Are you talking long bow, or cross bow??
I long bowed for a decade or so, well buddy's were all dableing in cross bow. Never made the olypics but got OK at it?
Biggest help I could give you if long bow, practise your draw back cheek landmark, it has to become second nature? When target shooting, try speeding up consecutive shots, it's no help to you when hunting, but build's your landmark.
Best of luck

Take a trip to archersnook in london they have a shooting range in the store and take 1 or 2 lessons they will make sure your bow is set up right for u and teach u what your doing wrong if anything .

@can't miss thanks! I'm using a compound bow.

Did you primarily hunt out of a tree stand or ground blind?
Back then, usually from above, we've all been taught for central mass shooting, shooting from above does change that. Best shot, double lung, heart? Hard to achieve at a aerial angle, but possible. That's a great question tho, if all your practice is straight down range, and if your planning on hunting from above, maybe practice that??

Get a ground blind or tree stand. I've yet to shoot one with a bow. I'm working on it this year too. Forgot to apply for antler less but still will try a bit for a buck before the gun hunt.

Learn how to sit still and not fidget too much for 6 hours or so! It's boring sitting and waiting but the rush you get when an animal comes close is outstanding.

I've been hunting with a crossbow for the last couple years....first ever deer hunts. I had alot to learn about deer behaviour and most of what I learned was from reading lots of forums, word of mouth and by making mistakes lol. Like @WinSX3Tom said you have to learn to sit still and not fidget!!! Even the slightest movement will catch the eye of a deer that you may not see. Practice shooting from your stand prior to the season (if you choose choose to use one) as placement of a shot is different being the angle of the stand at 15-30ft up a tree. Watch the wind direction and dress for the cold weather!! Also use a Trail cam to pattern your deer movement. Best way to watch them and stay out of the woods so they don't become spooked of your area.
Believe me I'm certainly no expert and I'm still waiting to harvest my own buck but patience is key and don't look at not harvesting as a failure but an opportunity to learn from your mistakes and improve next year. Good luck? here's a pic from one of my cams of a couple bucks I'm following this year

Attachments

• 20180908_115923.jpg
    20180908_115923.jpg
    7.8 MB · Views: 45
Get into a treestand. You usually have a greater field of vision and less likely to be spotted.

SAFETY SAFETY SAFETY SAFETY SAFETY

Wear the best safety harness you can buy. Practice getting in and out of the stand in the dark...that's when you'll be climbing.
Practice out of the stand at various ranges--its different than on the ground.

Practice wearing the clothes you intend to hunt in--they can behave differently than the shorts and Ts that you've been shooting in.

Get a good rangefinder and practice with it. A 20 yard shot out of a 16' treestand can look like 20 feet.

Don't rush things. I spend a lot of time in my stands watching deer. See what they do, how they behave.

If you have a deer within shooting range but its not the deer you want to shoot, go through the motions including drawing on it---without an arrow....just remember not to dry fire that bow!!!

Draw your bow in different light conditions and see how your sights act.

There are a ton of resources out there. Ive been bowhunting for 30 years and still read all the magazines. Just don't get caught up in the hype with equipment and trophies...at least at first.

K.I.S.S...invest in the best you can afford but look for strength and simplicity. Murphy's law rules in bowhunting. If it can go wrong, bend, break, loosen, fall off, get knock, it will...I promise.

A trophy deer is what you decide it is. I've taken deer every year since I started...big bucks, little bucks, lots of does. I don't like the taste of horns and I hate the taste of an unfilled tag.

I still have one mindset... I hunt all season for ONE SHOT...and make it the best.

Welcome to the world of bowhunting addiction

Ood magazine just released a great article about tuning your bow with a bare shaft to maximize your broad head accuracy.

All you need is 15 yards to do it.

The guys at the nook are good guys and know thier stuff. Where are you located? I am just east of London. I bought my first bow in 1983, I teach the Hunter Ed program, was one of the first Bow Hunter Education Program instructors, owned and operated an archery shop for a few years, taught lessons and shot competitively. For the price of a large black coffee, I'll watch you shoot and give you some pointers before I leave to go bow hunting moose on the 19th. Send me a text at 519 5216703 if you want to get together.

I find Quality Whitetails (the Quality Deer Management Agency's magazine) to be the best for information on deer hunting. It gets away from the "I shot this deer" stories that many of the other magazines offer, and gives a more scientific perspective. If you want a stack of old issues shoot me a PM.

Agree with anonymoose, I am a board member on SWO QDMA branch. Magazine alone is worth the membership, and events can be a great way to network. We are always looking for volunteers to assist with events. There is a also the Deer Steward Courses available that although they may be somewhat advanced for beginner deer hunters, are amazing resources available to members. I did the Deer Steward I course after deer hunting for over 25 years and it was worth every penny.

Thanks for all the help guys!! I'm now a QDMA member, cant wait to get mt first magazine! @bkerr thanks for the tip on the deer steward program..... That's exactly what I'm looking for. I did some biology and ecology in school so that stuff is exactly what I like to learn

This is a great past time to do Archery and deer hunting takes a lot of Patience.!!!! Do a lot of reading and studying of deer and there habits and how weather affects them. Joining a range or club is very beneficial to get knowledge and pointers on makes and models of equipment and stands and blinds . Scents and antlers rattle and doe bleats are great to practice with to call them in .... and that will get your heart pumping when you actually call a buck or doe in to your stand

Practice indoor and out at your stand and or blind. As Stated ground shooting and at elevation are two very different worlds to make accurate vital organ shots.
.20181026_104803.jpeg

Trail cams can be very expensive … look at tsc store flyer and the wild game version is affordable and I find is dependable all weather and cloak or solid color blend in well in the woods .
WGI_0008.JPG

Walk the woods I find windy days the deer are bedded down as the wind makes them skittish and they cant tell where the sound is coming from so the stay put … I have walked right up on bucks and does … some will scare the crap out of you and some will saunter off … put scent on your boots to mask the day to day smell from your truck mats .Look for trails in the early snow learn where there trails are and rubs on trees and scrape where bucks mark there territory….

And when you have practiced accuracy … called them into your stand .. learned to breath control the excitement . you will watch that aluminock find its mark ….

Hope this helps
One Shot One Kill.

The reality of deer hunting......
I have been out bow hunting regularly since season opened this year.
I did not apply for a doe tag because I was unsure if I would be hunting this year at all, ......had leg surgery.
So only looking for that ever evasive Buck and totally enjoying being out in the bush and fresh air.
Seen lots of scrapes and rubs...and Does. Played peek a boo with 1 buck in particular but evening wind changed on me and he laughed at me as he ran across an open field about 60 yds away. No way for an ethical shot and he knew it!
Well yesterday and that crisp frosty morning changed all that.

East wind had me setting up my pop up blind at a small clearing beside a wind down popular tree.
I got a great deal buying this from Eastlake Charlie....from the forum. He teased me when I bought it saying it "hadn't put any meat in his freezer"!
I have fun laughing at every doe that sees this set up. They are very stand offish. Doing their stare down and stomping their hooves at it...
But I don't move an inch or take a breath and they eventually accept it as is , but never take their eyes off it while they mill around.

The zippers are loud as all get out, but have to open up the door to get in and windows to see out.
So in that crisp cool clear morning I'm setting it up in just early dawn thinking I probably scared anything around the area away.
I get quickly set up inside moving leaves to the sides so as to minimize any noise. I reach over and pick up my bow, look out the window and see a beautiful 8 pointer walk directly around that laying popular 30 yds away and swing his head directly at me ....frozen! Both of us! I know if I lift my bow he will bolt.
He does not like what he sees and I can tell. Then with a quick glance back he jumps and is gone.
I look out the side window to where he looked and see another cute spike buck about 20 yds away and he bolts away after his big brother.....
I'm in disbelief! How did this happen so quickly after making so much noise? Oh well. I sit back thinking I lost another....I wait and about another 45 minutes goes by and here comes a cute little Lady, big eyes, Ears all attentive at me ( the blind) and proceeds to put on a side show that was unbelievable......She does the hoof stomp not once, not twice but 5 times. She snorts and jumps and runs about 10 yds away, stops, and comes running right back at me to about 15 yds and does her stomp dance again. What a show! She then gives it away with a slight glance to her left....and out of the corner of my eye I see ears and horns! A nice 4 point set of horns. But no body. I sit motionless for about 20 - 30 min and finally she calms down and starts to browse but always looking up at me. Well Mr 4 pointer slowly walks along another windfall only showing me his head no body. Finally at 30 yds he is broadside but only for a second as he walks away .....showing me his ass.....or was it me he was laughing at....the ass in the blind. No shot! Well they mused about for an hour as 3 other does joined them and then they all walked away into the bush.
So I sit and wait .....thinking again this is unbelievable. What a gorgeous morning!
Well all of a sudden I see movement! Huh! Some blond long haired Dude walking in the bush....then I see his buddy who is all camo and carrying a bow. They walk about 50' across about 65 yds in front then stop. They see the blind. They quickly re asset and walk back the way they came in.
I sit and wait. I give it another 30 min and figure that's it. I'll pack up, head home for a quick lunch and come back early afternoon for the evening hunt as clearly the deer are moving big time.
I get out and sound off all the zippers again, fold the blind up and pack it into the carry bag.
I stand up and get set to hoist the bag on my back. As i look up .......yup! another buck! A nice 6 pointer and he is walking directly to me 25' feet away wind at his back! And yup my bow is sitting 6' away from me!
He suddenly stops as if he is now just realizing what he is looking at. Boom! he bolts. I reach down to grab my bow.....no shot!
I'm completely pissed! I can't believe myself. But wait! I look back to where he was standing and ....yup his brother is looking directly at me and he bolts! No shot!!
5 Bucks and 4 does in 4 hours!
And yes Charlie....my freezer is still empty!

sorry for the long winded narrative.......just had to tell my story to those that understand what the hunt is all about.

cheers!

The reality of deer hunting......
I have been out bow hunting regularly since season opened this year.
I did not apply for a doe tag because I was unsure if I would be hunting this year at all, ......had leg surgery.
So only looking for that ever evasive Buck and totally enjoying being out in the bush and fresh air.
Seen lots of scrapes and rubs...and Does. Played peek a boo with 1 buck in particular but evening wind changed on me and he laughed at me as he ran across an open field about 60 yds away. No way for an ethical shot and he knew it!
Well yesterday and that crisp frosty morning changed all that.

East wind had me setting up my pop up blind at a small clearing beside a wind down popular tree.
I got a great deal buying this from Eastlake Charlie....from the forum. He teased me when I bought it saying it "hadn't put any meat in his freezer"!
I have fun laughing at every doe that sees this set up. They are very stand offish. Doing their stare down and stomping their hooves at it...
But I don't move an inch or take a breath and they eventually accept it as is , but never take their eyes off it while they mill around.

The zippers are loud as all get out, but have to open up the door to get in and windows to see out.
So in that crisp cool clear morning I'm setting it up in just early dawn thinking I probably scared anything around the area away.
I get quickly set up inside moving leaves to the sides so as to minimize any noise. I reach over and pick up my bow, look out the window and see a beautiful 8 pointer walk directly around that laying popular 30 yds away and swing his head directly at me ....frozen! Both of us! I know if I lift my bow he will bolt.
He does not like what he sees and I can tell. Then with a quick glance back he jumps and is gone.
I look out the side window to where he looked and see another cute spike buck about 20 yds away and he bolts away after his big brother.....
I'm in disbelief! How did this happen so quickly after making so much noise? Oh well. I sit back thinking I lost another....I wait and about another 45 minutes goes by and here comes a cute little Lady, big eyes, Ears all attentive at me ( the blind) and proceeds to put on a side show that was unbelievable......She does the hoof stomp not once, not twice but 5 times. She snorts and jumps and runs about 10 yds away, stops, and comes running right back at me to about 15 yds and does her stomp dance again. What a show! She then gives it away with a slight glance to her left....and out of the corner of my eye I see ears and horns! A nice 4 point set of horns. But no body. I sit motionless for about 20 - 30 min and finally she calms down and starts to browse but always looking up at me. Well Mr 4 pointer slowly walks along another windfall only showing me his head no body. Finally at 30 yds he is broadside but only for a second as he walks away .....showing me his ass.....or was it me he was laughing at....the ass in the blind. No shot! Well they mused about for an hour as 3 other does joined them and then they all walked away into the bush.
So I sit and wait .....thinking again this is unbelievable. What a gorgeous morning!
Well all of a sudden I see movement! Huh! Some blond long haired Dude walking in the bush....then I see his buddy who is all camo and carrying a bow. They walk about 50' across about 65 yds in front then stop. They see the blind. They quickly re asset and walk back the way they came in.
I sit and wait. I give it another 30 min and figure that's it. I'll pack up, head home for a quick lunch and come back early afternoon for the evening hunt as clearly the deer are moving big time.
I get out and sound off all the zippers again, fold the blind up and pack it into the carry bag.
I stand up and get set to hoist the bag on my back. As i look up .......yup! another buck! A nice 6 pointer and he is walking directly to me 25' feet away wind at his back! And yup my bow is sitting 6' away from me!
He suddenly stops as if he is now just realizing what he is looking at. Boom! he bolts. I reach down to grab my bow.....no shot!
I'm completely pissed! I can't believe myself. But wait! I look back to where he was standing and ....yup his brother is looking directly at me and he bolts! No shot!!
5 Bucks and 4 does in 4 hours!
And yes Charlie....my freezer is still empty!

sorry for the long winded narrative.......just had to tell my story to those that understand what the hunt is all about.

cheers!
Great morning in the woods!! Sounds like a productive area so hopefully no troubles filling that tag. Good luck to Ya!

Nice read, like I was there with ya.
Fish piss me off enough, I could never bow hunt.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks