Boats for the Great Lakes

Whatever you do, get the serial number and check manufacturer date on boat and motor prior to any long drives. I once drove 8 hours with the intention of buying a boat. Pictures where mint, got there and boat was mint when I arrived, but the guy had lied about the year of the boat and outboard. When I looked at the motor I immediately new something was up. Confirmed with the Manufacturer that the hull was 7 years older than he claimed. I figured if he’d lie about that, he’d lie about other things so I walked. Life lesson learned!

Sweet boat, pretty much exactly what I am looking for except with an outboard.
.I know I probably shouldn't ask but what does a boat like that cost new anyhow?
She has an outboard. Can't get in boards on 20s anymore they only put inboards on 23+now. They definitely aren't cheap lol. We got all the bells & whistles on this girl....
100+

Hey Guys

What do you all think of this one? Its been for sale for a while... from what I can tell it was originally listed last year in November for $55g USD... Concerns me a bit that it has not sold in a year but even so they are still asking too much... I think I would offer 33g USD should I go lower? Are these Trophy boats good? Anyone have experience or heard anything I should be concerned about or look for?

Hey Guys

What do you all think of this one? Its been for sale for a while... from what I can tell it was originally listed last year in November for $55g USD... Concerns me a bit that it has not sold in a year but even so they are still asking too much... I think I would offer 33g USD should I go lower? Are these Trophy boats good? Anyone have experience or heard anything I should be concerned about or look for?

Have you looked at dc (dual console) models? Reason I ask is we ran a 22’ walk fo10 years in Long Point and came to realize the cuddy took up too much room on that size of boat. Great for storage but waste of space. Many dc models have a head built into one of consoles then have more room up front for seating, perch fishing whatever. Just something to think about. There are some really great layouts from Pursuit , Grady White, Hydrasports (these are higher end) or Robalo, Wellcraft, Key West , Proline etc

No I have not considered them, I didn't know they were available with a head in the console like the center console models... I will take a look.

Jeff from @don_hyde just updated their ad to include Blackfin Boats... they look awesome
donhyde.jpg

See https://www.donhydemarine.com/defau...y&s=Make&d=A#page=xNewInventory&make=blackfin

Regarding bringing the boat from USA and bringing it to Canada, There are a lot of people that have done it and could give insite. HOWEVER. I would highly recommend finding out for yourself from the border yourself because when it comes down to it,
1-rules change all the time
2-you cant use the "but my buddy said ...... or my other buddy said...."

Better safe than sorry! Might be able to just drive her across the lake :)
If its a new US boat you get to the border and pay your taxes on that days current exchange rate.If it a used US boat you have to make sure the loan is clear and pay your taxes on that days exchange rate its not to tricky. You have to go to Canadian Tire and they do a Canadian safety inspection on your trailer .Done deal.

Opinions on this model...Trophy 1952 Walkaround. 20' 1" LOA, 96" beam 3.0L MerCruiser Alpha I 135 hp
I want to go to a glass walkaround for comfort, but still want trailer-ability. At 20' OAL, its not much longer than my Alaskan but has the depth and beam and weight I want. Is 20' OK in this style or should I go up one size to a 21?

View attachment 18548
Its a Bayliner and will always be a Bayliner.Should i say any more?

LOL none of the above content is helping me choose a boat!

Well thank you all for your inputs. It has been a great help, but I am still looking for my boat! My budget has gone up though, I am now looking for a 2008ish boat or newer in the 22' - 23' range, hardtop walkaround or pilothouse. Outboard motor, head. under or as close to 4000lbs i can get.
$50,000
Wow the amount of hours I have spent on this is staggering. I have had a few very interesting opportunities but when you make the change from pictures to reality its like online dating. Pics look great but the actual is like a different person.
I found this one boat in Bancroft I think, fully set up new electronics etc, the pictures made it look mint, in reality it has 6" - 12" long gouges right through the gel into the glass along the sides where the current owner says "oh I just bumped into the dock there" (like a million times.... at full speed?). These gouges were in some spots over an 1/8" deep, I couldn't believe how badly this boat had been abused. Of course the pictures they used must have been of a different boat or maybe when the boat was new or something.
Got a quote to fix it... 4g ... next...
Anyone know anything about these Northcoast boats? I'm even considering buying new...

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks