Off Topic Boating ban on all London water ways article

I was out at Fanshawe Lake/Dam today @Jumbojim and I can definitely see why there would be a boating ban,(photo’s),on the Thames River!! The river was raging & I and a friend were going to fish today in the afternoon from shore,but after looking at the thames river while driving around the Delaware area,we cancelled our afternoon fishing of the last day of the walleye season due to the very high water!! Lots of ice still on Fanshawe Lake to melt,which will only add to the already rising of the river conditions!! The boating season will definitely have to wait for now!!

Attachments

• 64548E89-D2FB-42E4-9C7C-91BD4D8E652C.jpeg
    64548E89-D2FB-42E4-9C7C-91BD4D8E652C.jpeg
    4.3 MB · Views: 113
  • DE5203B5-856F-4456-BAEA-0CD0460475D9.jpeg
    DE5203B5-856F-4456-BAEA-0CD0460475D9.jpeg
    3.7 MB · Views: 113
  • 696E908E-6CE4-4362-890D-E78E955D787D.jpeg
    696E908E-6CE4-4362-890D-E78E955D787D.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 106
  • 87661ED0-3881-4E2F-8F7C-5461C3ED63FE.jpeg
    87661ED0-3881-4E2F-8F7C-5461C3ED63FE.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 98
  • 3B322AF2-A672-4D25-84CE-F9515234E6A5.jpeg
    3B322AF2-A672-4D25-84CE-F9515234E6A5.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 93
  • 746D20DA-0762-4CF7-ABA6-ABE388671D3F.jpeg
    746D20DA-0762-4CF7-ABA6-ABE388671D3F.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 91
  • 69C65284-5EF9-43AA-B501-59A8B11DB7BF.jpeg
    69C65284-5EF9-43AA-B501-59A8B11DB7BF.jpeg
    530.4 KB · Views: 88
Ah come on Red, why the thumbs down in that one picture? Coulda been worse, you could have been at home doing "chores" instead of out at the park having a peek at the river and the reservoir. I see a little bit of open water in the reservoir in some of those pictures lol. While that river does hate me pretty much anywhere I've fished it, be that Delaware, Komoka or several other areas I've attempted, including out at Fanshawe, I have caught 1 walleye in the reservoir that close in.....should dropped (literally) a line in....ya never know LOL.

Ah come on Red, why the thumbs down in that one picture? Coulda been worse, you could have been at home doing "chores" instead of out at the park having a peek at the river and the reservoir. I see a little bit of open water in the reservoir in some of those pictures lol. While that river does hate me pretty much anywhere I've fished it, be that Delaware, Komoka or several other areas I've attempted, including out at Fanshawe, I have caught 1 walleye in the reservoir that close in.....should dropped (literally) a line in....ya never know LOL.
I should of mentioned @Trevor M with the thumb down in the last photo,that the ice fishing season on the lake is definitely over now,considering that not too long ago,it was safe to be on that ice.You are right,and it is always nice to have a peek at the river and the reservoir,but I do have to look at doing some chores now,while I am waiting for the thames river flood to lower,so that I will be able to fish for the walleye’s again.There should be a lot of walleye’s around in the thames river system “running” up from Lake St.Clair,etc.,and I am looking forward to be fishing for them downstream from the Keil bridge in Chatham where the walleye season is still open on the thames river in Zone 16.Good luck to you and other’s and walleye’s ON!! ????:)

Last edited:
High and raging is right @Red Hering ?!!
I think you made the right choice of not going!
better safe than sorry ?
Definitely @JohnW a high and raging ? river!! ?!! I actually did have a look with my young friend after 4 p.m. yesterday,while it was raining hard again,on the last day of the walleye season,and there were only 2 vehicles parked on the road,where there were recently under a dozen parked in the same spot.We didn’t fish because of the river condition,and in some spots on the river,the water was over the riverbank and into the cornfields!! I am waiting now for the river conditions to be fishable again,and I am looking forward to be fishing downriver from the Keil bridge in Chatham then.???:)

Last edited:
hey there Red Herring, you sure get around and your posts of the areas conditions are amazing, keep up the good work, the thames up here in woodstock is roaring and looks like the reservoir is overflowing, gonna be a while before we can fish the thames..gonna check out a few rivers for some rainbow next week..maybe even check out the lake for crappies,,,tight lines...pocono

I should of mentioned @Trevor M with the thumb down in the last photo,that the ice fishing season on the lake is definitely over now,considering that not too long ago,it was safe to be on that ice.You are right,and it is always nice to have a peek at the river and the reservoir,but I do have to look at doing some chores now,while I am waiting for the thames river flood to lower,so that I will be able to fish for the walleye’s again.There should be a lot of walleye’s around in the thames river system “running” up from Lake St.Clair,etc.,and I am looking forward to be fishing for them downstream from the Kiel bridge in Chatham where the walleye season is still open on the thames river in Zone 16.Good luck to you and other’s and walleye’s ON!! ????:)

Ice fishing season? OHHHHHHHH, you mean what I call hockey/Trevor M hibernation season. Now that the "nice weather" is on the way, I'm beginning to stir from that hibernation, and the more I stir, the more Mrs. Trevor M is finding things for me to do that she thinks I don't do normally, or wouldn't do on my own. She somehow has this idea that in March when I start watching fishin shows on TV, or going through the tackle box, bringing the gear in and getting it ready for the upcoming season, that's her cue to remind me that it's still too early to go fishin down at the lake and I have things to do around here BEFORE I even think about it :ROFLMAO:

Ice fishing season? OHHHHHHHH, you mean what I call hockey/Trevor M hibernation season. Now that the "nice weather" is on the way, I'm beginning to stir from that hibernation, and the more I stir, the more Mrs. Trevor M is finding things for me to do that she thinks I don't do normally, or wouldn't do on my own. She somehow has this idea that in March when I start watching fishin shows on TV, or going through the tackle box, bringing the gear in and getting it ready for the upcoming season, that's her cue to remind me that it's still too early to go fishin down at the lake and I have things to do around here BEFORE I even think about it :ROFLMAO:
I think I married your sister in law.

I agree that no-one should be out on the water in these conditions, but do the Police have the jurisdiction and right to the ban? I though all navigable waters were federal and under the juristiction of the coast guard.

I agree that no-one should be out on the water in these conditions, but do the Police have the jurisdiction and right to the ban? I though all navigable waters were federal and under the juristiction of the coast guard.
federal jurisdiction lol
In Hamilton they have their own marine unit inside and out side the Harbour
Opp are on the waters here Coast Guard summertime rescue and small enforcement
only real federal enforcement I see is when you canoe in the CWS lands opps

Last edited:
I think I married your sister in law.

I know my sister in law's husband, and he admits he hasn't got the first clue about how to put line on a reel, let alone catch a fish.....I've offered to take him with me and teach him, but he'd rather go golfing :banghead::ROFLMAO:

The Thames can be treacherous during flood conditions especially if inexperienced so I can understand the ban. I remember running the Thames in very bad flood conditions in the 1980s with my buddy practicing for white water conditions on rivers in our 18 ft. freighter canoe when bow hunting moose. We actually run over submerged fences in farmer's fields near Delaware the water was so high and very fast flowing. Some of the northern Ontario rivers we run were much worse with white water and jutted rocks everywhere but the Kevlar freighter was bullet proof bouncing off them leaving just scrapes but no holes. :)

Last edited:
Thanks for posting pics of angry spring waters Red. Keep up the posts. I know you know better, but stay high on dry land ! Keep safe.!!! Huron.
@Huron anytime about me posting photo’s,and I just happen to be near Springbank Park yesterday,and I parked my truck and I walked around the Springbank Dam area to see how the thames river level is dropping down from the flooding along that stretch of the river,which gives me an idea what the rest of the water level on the thames river is doing right now.I will be waiting a little bit longer for the river to drop,before I will fish for walleye’s below the Keil bridge in Chatham where the walleye season is open there.Have a great day,and more photo’s will be coming later. ;)?:)

Attachments

• 36327C36-3567-43A3-9669-C3603A90C8E4.jpeg
    36327C36-3567-43A3-9669-C3603A90C8E4.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 19
  • 543975D5-75CA-414B-B197-3EB7424F1BEA.jpeg
    543975D5-75CA-414B-B197-3EB7424F1BEA.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 20
  • F9A809FE-8389-437D-95A3-063E82E698D1.jpeg
    F9A809FE-8389-437D-95A3-063E82E698D1.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 21
  • 80C5E7C8-F9FD-4417-AA40-98AC03E1A001.jpeg
    80C5E7C8-F9FD-4417-AA40-98AC03E1A001.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 23
Last edited:
hey there Red Herring, you sure get around and your posts of the areas conditions are amazing, keep up the good work, the thames up here in woodstock is roaring and looks like the reservoir is overflowing, gonna be a while before we can fish the thames..gonna check out a few rivers for some rainbow next week..maybe even check out the lake for crappies,,,tight lines...pocono
Yes,I do get around & my retirement has been GREAT!! I am “Living the Dream!!” Also,thanks for your compliments & here are some more photo’s @poconokidII of Fanshawe Lake which is starting to thaw out & the river level below the Fanshawe Dam,is starting to drop down from yesterday morning as well,(March 18/19),while I was enjoying my morning coffee there to the start of my day.Good luck in finding some rivers for rainbow,etc., and tight lines to you as well. ????:)

Attachments

• F21DA367-6CFD-4EF4-BAB7-AC84449BA844.jpeg
    F21DA367-6CFD-4EF4-BAB7-AC84449BA844.jpeg
    3.7 MB · Views: 10
  • 2F303566-8E2F-40D6-B702-75B88B4F15CF.jpeg
    2F303566-8E2F-40D6-B702-75B88B4F15CF.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 10
  • 6B3E9297-3165-4209-9FEC-EF93F1F8AB13.jpeg
    6B3E9297-3165-4209-9FEC-EF93F1F8AB13.jpeg
    4.8 MB · Views: 11
  • 5B2CE6ED-7600-48EA-9B44-0C7CD56EB849.jpeg
    5B2CE6ED-7600-48EA-9B44-0C7CD56EB849.jpeg
    4 MB · Views: 9
  • 8853016C-199E-4F70-996A-AE6F178C1759.jpeg
    8853016C-199E-4F70-996A-AE6F178C1759.jpeg
    4.9 MB · Views: 9
thx for the great info there Red Herring....good luck chasing eyes down by chatham,,,if your thinking of going next week im available friday,,,,thx pocono,,,,going to the leafs game tonite in buffalo,,,,,see if they can break their losing streak...
Thanks and that sounds great @poconokidII and it would be great to meet up with another member of @stomp in person.I will pm you once next Friday gets closer and to also see what the river conditions are going to be like on that friday.13169,and Go Sabres Go!! lol (I am a HABS fan),and a leafs loss,would perhaps help the Habs sneak up on Toronto in the standings!! lol Also,have a great time in Buffalo tonight,and talk soon.?????

Last edited:
sounds good Red Herring....great game last nite!!! a leafs win ,,, wasn't pretty but we'll take it,,i figured you were a habs fan with the gear you wear lol...yes it would be great to meet up with another 68 member..pocono

sounds good Red Herring....great game last nite!!! a leafs win ,,, wasn't pretty but we'll take it,,i figured you were a habs fan with the gear you wear lol...yes it would be great to meet up with another 68 member..pocono
Congratulations I think :unsure: (lol) @poconokidII for the leafs win :rolleyes: last night in Buffalo.;) My wife is a leafs fan,and we have been married now for almost 38 years,and it’s true,opposites do attract!! lol A very old photo of us wearing our team colours,while we were attending a Leafs home game against the Canadiens at the ACC from one of the Corporate Boxes while we were there.Back to fishing,as of now,I am basically just waiting for the thames river water temperatures to get a little warmer for the walleye’s to spawn in.West of Delaware where I was fishing on the last day before the walleye season closed,the water temperature was 38 degrees fahrenheit that day,and it could be a couple more weeks before the thames river temperature reaches prime spawning conditions.Timing in fishing at times is everything.13175Talk to you soon,(by next friday-march 29/19),and hopefully thames river walleye’s on soon!! All the best,and GO HABS GO!! ????regards @Red Hering ????:D13178

Last edited:
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks