Fishing Report Boater Etiquette

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have given way to so many boats that I have lost count. Auto pilot or not you have to pay attention to your surroundings. Right or wrong doesn't make cleaning a tangle up fro yielding. What is really annoying is yielding way half a mile away and the other boat turns on a collision course again. Even when we have been fighting fish other boats have not yielded. Play nice and everyone can enjoy our fishery. I also avoid the pack of boats when I troll. The scariest moment was I was going against a group of boats that were trolling east when I was headed west. They were 5 abreast with boards out. Had to start changing course a mile away to clear them. It sure looked pretty though, with all those boats running in unison.

My biggest question is if you had 12 lines in the water how on earth did you only have 4 bites ??? #drama#pros :)

I've read both this post, the comments in it, and the post on FB and the comments there, and there are 2 different versions of the events, which shouldn't be a surprise to anyone. There are always 2 sides to the story and they are almost always a little bit different. I've learned over the years that usually the truth of what actually happened is somewhere in the middle, depending on the perspective of those involved, and they almost always point the finger of blame at the other party, which no surprise, is exactly what both are doing in regards to this incident.

So basically common sense, the rule should say thou shalt not be an asshole.

Far to often that isn't the case. Doesn't matter whether you're out on the lake or just leaving a port, some people just can't help themselves and it's for sure intentional. Other times, it's an honest mistake, but nobody likes to admit they made that mistake.

Other examples of some in boats being inconsiderate to others....

We all know the water is high this year, very high, but that hasn't stopped too many boats to count from reaching the end of the breakwall in PT Bruce on the way out into the lake, and putting it down so they can get out to "their spot" faster, and in the process, they're making a massive wake, which swamps everyone on the pier. Often they do the same coming back in off the lake, not slowing down until they reach the breakwall, again swamping everyone on the pier.

OR then there's this guy, pretty young guy at that, with a fairly nice boat, inboard, makes all kinds of noise, has been known on more than one occasion to be heading out into the lake and with nobody else coming in or going out, he'll come stupid close to the pier which makes many bring their lines in so he doesn't catch them. Other times he'll come out of the channel and cut it to the west immediately and well within casting range of anyone on the end of the pier, he'll put it in reverse to stop, due south of the pier, then he puts it in neutral, and sits there revving his motor making all kinds of noise, and of course with him sitting there, nobody can cast their line out, he's also done the same thing on the west side of the pier, and in each of these events as described, he sits there making eye contact with anyone who says something, the whole time laughing as he KNOWS he's being an ass, and he doesn't care. He's showing off for his friends.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've read both this post, the comments in it, and the post on FB and the comments there, and there are 2 different versions of the events, which shouldn't be a surprise to anyone. There are always 2 sides to the story and they are almost always a little bit different. I've learned over the years that usually the truth of what actually happened is somewhere in the middle, depending on the perspective of those involved, and they almost always point the finger of blame at the other party, which no surprise, is exactly what both are doing in regards to this incident.

Far to often that isn't the case. Doesn't matter whether you're out on the lake or just leaving a port, some people just can't help themselves and it's for sure intentional. Other times, it's an honest mistake, but nobody likes to admit they made that mistake.

Other examples of some in boats being inconsiderate to others....

We all know the water is high this year, very high, but that hasn't stopped too many boats to count from reaching the end of the breakwall in PT Bruce on the way out into the lake, and putting it down so they can get out to "their spot" faster, and in the process, they're making a massive wake, which swamps everyone on the pier. Often they do the same coming back in off the lake, not slowing down until they reach the breakwall, again swamping everyone on the pier.

OR then there's this guy, pretty young guy at that, with a fairly nice boat, inboard, makes all kinds of noise, has been known on more than one occasion to be heading out into the lake and with nobody else coming in or going out, he'll come stupid close to the pier which makes many bring their lines in so he doesn't catch them. Other times he'll come out of the channel and cut it to the west immediately and well within casting range of anyone on the end of the pier, he'll put it in reverse to stop, due south of the pier, then he puts it in neutral, and sits there revving his motor making all kinds of noise, and of course with him sitting there, nobody can cast their line out, he's also done the same thing on the west side of the pier, and in each of these events as described, he sits there making eye contact with anyone who says something, the whole time laughing as he KNOWS he's being an ass, and he doesn't care. He's showing off for his friends.
Well @Trevor M the last time I seen that about 20 years ago at Bronte pier fishing for salmon off the pier and the seado guys were being just that till one of them got knocked off his machine by a well placed 1 oz lead sinker in the forehead " no it was not me " the police was called on the dozen or so guys lining up on the pier and I'm sure the one that made that perfect throw was the one telling the police he seen the person responsible running away east
Lol there is always one who is in the wrong
And sometimes on both sides
But that fellow should of played baseball would of made a good pitcher

till one of them got knocked off his machine by a well placed 1 oz lead sinker in the forehead " no it was not me "
That's been "discussed" many times when such things happen, but to date, at least while I've been there, NOBODY has taken that step, choosing discretion over someone on the boat grabbing the line and then the boat taking off either spooling the reel or taking the rod out of someone's hands.

As for someone always being in the wrong, I was brought up that two wrongs don't make a right, but unintentional mistakes do happen, and when you're the one who made that unintentional mistake, you own it, and apologize if possible. But when you do something inconsiderate or "wrong" intentionally, you own that too, and when it's intentional, although it may not be today or tomorrow, eventually, it always comes back to bite yer ass one way or another.

That's been "discussed" many times when such things happen, but to date, at least while I've been there, NOBODY has taken that step, choosing discretion over someone on the boat grabbing the line and then the boat taking off either spooling the reel or taking the rod out of someone's hands.

As for someone always being in the wrong, I was brought up that two wrongs don't make a right, but unintentional mistakes do happen, and when you're the one who made that unintentional mistake, you own it, and apologize if possible. But when you do something inconsiderate or "wrong" intentionally, you own that too, and when it's intentional, although it may not be today or tomorrow, eventually, it always comes back to bite yer ass one way or another.
Bottom line...big dave is a big dic...

Bottom line...big dave is a big dic...
I wasn't talking about him. Don't know the man, and while I understand from what I've read, he apparently has a reputation, I was responding to ticker's response to my previous post and generalizing something that applies to EVERYONE.

Last edited by a moderator:
Cut and Paste from Big Dave's FB page with his side of the story:

Edit: go to Facebook to see more details

@stomp Did this post violate forum rules or is it just a personal thing? I'm really not taking sides in this but apologize if I upset the 6-8 apple cart....

@stomp Did this post violate forum rules or is it just a personal thing? I'm really not taking sides in this but apologize if I upset the 6-8 apple cart....
Maybe @G.Mech ... a cut and paste could be a violation of copyright. I'm not a lawyer, so I'm not sure, but, I don't want to take chances. Linking out to the content, I think, is fine. From a personal standpoint, I couldn't be bothered to replace the cut and paste with a link. I figured people could find the other side of the story, if interested.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks