Boat sunk Pt Stanley

B

Bruce Graham

Good job to mercury rising pulling those 2 guys out of the water , I bet they were happy to see you with the water temp down to 65 again

Neptune

Hey Bruce......what up with the boat sinking in Pt.Stanley please fill us in ,I didn't here anything about it sounds like everyone is ok!!....................apps

I don't have many first hand details, but Sarnia coast guard put out an alert of a boat sinking and people in the water at approx 10;30 sat . Mercury Rising spotted the nose of the boat and lots of floating items from the boat on his way in from perching . The people were a long way from the boat, but Ken was able to find and pull 2 people from the water. Last I saw the boat its nose was about a foot out of the water about 1.5 east in 28 feet water.

Neptune

Heard the radio call when fishing 60` plus off Port Bruce.
Call came in as off Little Beach. As we do not fish Port Stanely we did not know the reference was off Port Stanely.
We did here they were picked up which was good news.

I found this link http://www.portstanleynews.com/details/headline.aspx?menu=1024_News_News_Two+Men+Rescued+After+Boat+Sinks

With all of the seemingly redundant topics covered in the boating exam and in the safe boating guide, you would think they could have made room for a section on how to anchor your boat. It simply does not show up in any of the guides and is one thing that lots of people struggle with. You see people anchored stern into the waves quite often and this is exactly what can happen in the wrong conditions (assuming the report is true of course). Thankfully everyone is okay and hats off to the rescuers!

excellant point g.mech - that would have made a lot of sense to actually teach people some of the practical aspects of boating instead of spending so much bloody time on knowing green lights from red lights.

Age and common sense don't always go together.

This past weekend I read an article written by a journalist who felt that the Boater's Exam was overly difficult and covered a lot of material he would never need to know using a 12' boat at the cottage. This is a prime example of the fact that the exam only scratches the surface.

Paul

We were with Big Dave yesterday[Monday,25th] and spotted a sailboat washed up on the beach right by the Long Point Co. lakeside keeper's shack. Notified CCG and cleared it with them, appears all souls are safe and accounted for.

Wow that has to be a very scary and lonely feeling floating around the lake wondering what happens next. I feel for them, and am glad they are ok physically.
I would imagine this is going to end up a very costly lesson to get the boat removed.
As far as the exam goes>>IMHO it is a joke the focus seems to be on navigation and leaves out basic seamanship. A day trip out to the channel will show you that. When i did mine I challenged it at a boat show. I had zero experience and passed as did my wife. ANything I know today i credit to an older mentor with vast knowledge of water and boats.
All that being said accidents happen and we can only hope and pray all comes out well

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks