Boat shopping - need guidance

sterlingz

In the next 12-24 months I will be purchasing what I hope will be my "for life" boat. I'm hoping to avoid the brand new premium and go used.

I do a lot of downrigging, trolling, jigging and the odd bass/pike fishing if the in-laws are around. I fish walleye and lakers out of small lakes, and Erie on occasion. One gripe I have with most boats is that too much space is taken up by benches, seats, livewells, lockers, you name it. You end up with a really cramped floor on an otherwise huge boat. I'd rather a boat with an open concept which can accommodate riggers easily.

Initially I was interested in the west-coast style boats like Harbercraft / Kingfisher / Hewescraft but have since discovered other makes that offer an open floor like the Starcraft Fishmaster.

I was hoping some of you could offer some advice and point me to some other makes/brands that fit the bill.

Appreciate any comments. Thanks.

After owning several boats and this last overhaul I decided that if I were to ever spend upward the $30,000 mark on a boat I would learn the skill of Tig and build exactly what I want. On that note if your not handy I know there are guys around that custom build boats. I do know you said you didn't want new but this would give you that "perfect boat" my 2 cents! Good luck shopping

If you like to do everything, but still want some space then I'd take a look at the Starcraft Superfisherman. I bought one last spring. It's been an amazing boat and handles very snotty weather. The aft jump seats are really nice as you can lose one of the pedestal seats at the back when you have four guys. For the 18 footer I'd recommend a 175hp. Trouble is they are near impossible to find used, so your engine options are limited. It fishes great with downriggers and most trolling options. It's also pretty handy for most other applications and has the benefit of a rear casting deck. Also a great family boat for cruising and tubing etc. It is not a speed demon, but designed for bigger water. It's also not for bass fisherman as the 19 degree deadrise means it drafts more water, but I can still get in fairly skinny water if need be. It's also not to bad to tow. I'm pretty happy. When I went looking for used it was near impossible. The first one I saw sold instantly, and then the only other one available over the several months I was looking I bought. Older ones are around, but anything newer than 2005 sells like hot cakes if you can even find one. New will cost you 52-55k plus tax depending on how it's equipped. That kind of money wasn't really an option for me, so I waited and went with used.

Another west coast open concept style similar to the Harbercraft / Kingfisher / Hewescraft you mentioned is the Smoker Craft Phantom 182 of their North American Angler Series.

Are you interested in aluminum or glass. World of difference in whether you can fish all day or only till noon when the swells get up.

I know this may sound like something you don’t want but take it into consideration. I own a 2075 Pro v by Lund. I have 2 console seats and a flip up bench at the back that turns into a casting deck. It is really roomy and wide. I really enjoy the flip up seat at the back for taking multiple people out and then when I go out by myself or with a friend I can have it folded over. Tons of space. I’m sure you could find a used one in your budget.

I really like my 18 foot Starcraft aluminum
Very good all purpose boat that's just big enough to go on Erie comfortably yet small enough for smaller northern lakes.
I would disagree with porkpie on a 175hp for this size of boat. I have a 90 hp and it does 39mph on the gps. Very rarely is it calm enough on Erie to go wide open anyways. up until this year I used my 90 Yamaha to troll for eyes. I could get down to about 2.3mph by tilting motor up a bit. I only added a kicker this year for some fuel savings and piece of mind if main motor ever quit. Good luck on your purchase!

Very good all purpose boat that's just big enough to go on Erie comfortably yet small enough for smaller northern lakes.
I would disagree with porkpie on a 175hp for this size of boat. I have a 90 hp and it does 39mph on the gps. Very rarely is it calm enough on Erie to go wide open anyways. up until this year I used my 90 Yamaha to troll for eyes. I could get down to about 2.3mph by tilting motor up a bit. I only added a kicker this year for some fuel savings and piece of mind if main motor ever quit. Good luck on your purchase!

I think we probably have different styles of hull. Mine will do 39. In calm water with a half tank of fuel and me in the boat, kicker motor and all gear. I'm running a 4 stroke 140hp. I could probably gain a bit more top end with stainless prop, but as you say on the Great Lakes your seldom running wide open so I've never worried about it. A 175 on my boat would be excellent for when I have 4 guys in the boat plus coolers etc etc. But what I have is pretty good so no plans to change.

I had a Starcraft starfire 19 with a 115 4stroke (fish&asking) I did all those things you speak of I mounted removable seats on the rear cast deck ,when not pleasure boating they where in the garage
Crest liner has brought out a harbour craft style now if that's your idea
I've stepped into a fibreglass walleye boat now same layouts but rides 10x better
So many configurations out there good luck

If you like to do everything, but still want some space then I'd take a look at the Starcraft Superfisherman. I bought one last spring. It's been an amazing boat and handles very snotty weather. The aft jump seats are really nice as you can lose one of the pedestal seats at the back when you have four guys. For the 18 footer I'd recommend a 175hp. Trouble is they are near impossible to find used, so your engine options are limited. It fishes great with downriggers and most trolling options. It's also pretty handy for most other applications and has the benefit of a rear casting deck. Also a great family boat for cruising and tubing etc. It is not a speed demon, but designed for bigger water. It's also not for bass fisherman as the 19 degree deadrise means it drafts more water, but I can still get in fairly skinny water if need be. It's also not to bad to tow. I'm pretty happy. When I went looking for used it was near impossible. The first one I saw sold instantly, and then the only other one available over the several months I was looking I bought. Older ones are around, but anything newer than 2005 sells like hot cakes if you can even find one. New will cost you 52-55k plus tax depending on how it's equipped. That kind of money wasn't really an option for me, so I waited and went with used.

Superfisherman is definitely on my list! A great boat for the money. I widened my search into the USA and to Manitoba to ensure I'd see all of them.

Another west coast open concept style similar to the Harbercraft / Kingfisher / Hewescraft you mentioned is the Smoker Craft Phantom 182 of their North American Angler Series.

Look the North American Angler Series. Phantom and Osprey both look great. Except the Osprey only comes in 17'2" max.

Are you interested in aluminum or glass. World of difference in whether you can fish all day or only till noon when the swells get up.

Aluminum known anything other than aluminum. The boat will go from lake to lake to driveway lots so a lighter boat seems optimal. And many of the lakes I fish have rock hazards.

I know this may sound like something you don’t want but take it into consideration. I own a 2075 Pro v by Lund. I have 2 console seats and a flip up bench at the back that turns into a casting deck. It is really roomy and wide. I really enjoy the flip up seat at the back for taking multiple people out and then when I go out by myself or with a friend I can have it folded over. Tons of space. I’m sure you could find a used one in your budget.

Amazing boat but for the reasons above I'd be afraid to wreck it quickly.

Interesting, I was talking to a guy with the same boat but he said his 80hp only gets him to 90hp. Number of things could explain the difference I guess.

If you want lots of room, a versatile platform and the ability to handle big water but trailer around to smaller lakes, you might consider a big tiller. 1850 Crestliner Pro Tiller or Lund 1875 Pro Guide? Likely in the $30,000-$40,000 range depending on the power, which should always be maxed :finger:
I've got a Crestliner Kodiak 1800 Heavy Duty tiller with an Evinrude 60hp ETEC HO. I do all the things you describe as far as fishing pursuits. Mines a bit of an econo version of the the 2 listed above, and a Tiller's not for everyone, but for a dedicated fishing platform especially if you fish alone sometimes, it has a lot to recommend it IMO.
My setup tops out at about 33mph WOT. Cruises comfortably at 3500-4000 rpm at 25mph with 4 people and gear on board

Last edited:
In the next 12-24 months I will be purchasing what I hope will be my "for life" boat. I'm hoping to avoid the brand new premium and go used.

I do a lot of downrigging, trolling, jigging and the odd bass/pike fishing if the in-laws are around. I fish walleye and lakers out of small lakes, and Erie on occasion. One gripe I have with most boats is that too much space is taken up by benches, seats, livewells, lockers, you name it. You end up with a really cramped floor on an otherwise huge boat. I'd rather a boat with an open concept which can accommodate riggers easily.

Initially I was interested in the west-coast style boats like Harbercraft / Kingfisher / Hewescraft but have since discovered other makes that offer an open floor like the Starcraft Fishmaster.

I was hoping some of you could offer some advice and point me to some other makes/brands that fit the bill.

Appreciate any comments. Thanks.
Starcraft Fishmaster?. I got into 2003 with 125 2stroke(rated for 175hp max). Best thing for me is it's all aluminum. No wood to rot out and it's light compared to others and plenty of space to fish from,front to back. A few large deep compartments in the right spots,no wasted space in my opinion. I swapped the prop from a 17p to 21p. Synced the carbs set the timing,over all tun up. turn key now and Will do 38mph(gps)with 3men the gear with a full tank of gas(150liters). Will troll down to 2.2mph? perfect for me. Handles the biggest chop/roller water i can comfortably & safely fish in on Erie. I would not think twice about throwing down 13k for another used rig such as this 1.

We just bought an 18 foot legend XTR with a 115hp Pro Xs and 9.9 kicker. Comes with a lot of extras built into price. Lifetime warranty on hull and it is Canadian made! The guys out at Xtreme marine are awesome, go see Brad!

I think we probably have different styles of hull. Mine will do 39. In calm water with a half tank of fuel and me in the boat, kicker motor and all gear. I'm running a 4 stroke 140hp. I could probably gain a bit more top end with stainless prop, but as you say on the Great Lakes your seldom running wide open so I've never worried about it. A 175 on my boat would be excellent for when I have 4 guys in the boat plus coolers etc etc. But what I have is pretty good so no plans to change.

Yah mine is a SFM 180 also
It’s an 89’ with a 2 strike 90 Yamaha
That being said my boat is only rated for a 120 hp.

I've been running a 1999 Crestliner 1750 Fishhawk SC for 13 years...
90hp Johnson with a 8hp Johnson 4 stroke kicker...

Its been a amazing boat... Fishing killing machine that just lays in the water... At almost 8' wide it is very stable... With the side console it has TONNES of room...

This will be my forever boat... With the guaranteed for life welded hull its a no brainer... Even if I gutted and repowered it.... For $20G i'd have a brand new boat again...

If I was in the market today... I'd be looking at:

StarCraft Superfisherman series
Crestliner Superhawk series
Alumacrafts...

Talk to people at the ramps... Talk to the dealers... Do your homework... Even go out with prostaff…

Very exciting time... good luck...

Many great choices out there these days. Dollar for dollar it's hard to beat the Legend XTR Series for the best bang for your buck in a quality fishing boat that pretty well meets anyone's fishing needs.

have two friends at work that have 18 foot W/ 150 hp and the other 20 foot W/ 200hp Lund angler. they have both had them for +3 yrs. now no complaints! They do however have a smaller bow area but they are willing to trade that off for the huge area behind .

Lund 2000 sport angler and 20’ Lund Alaskan. As mentioned above. A tiller is a really good option for use of space. I could fit two quads in the Alaskan if needed and I can seat 6 adults with room to spare in the Sport Angler. You will pay a premium for a Lund but they are one of the few ‘forever boat’ manufacturers out there.
Another note is to upgrade to a tandem axle trailer if your getting a boat in that size range. All that space usually means it gets filled on road trips. Can get heavy for a single axle.

What ever you decide on. Try to get a day out in the model you want once your ready to purchase.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks