boat recovery help

aquaman

Our duck boat was swamped and sunk in the storm on Boxing Day. Thanks largely to the understanding of Derek May and the Sandboy Marina, everyone was okay. As many know the bay froze over that night, we looked for it on the 27th, but the ice was already too thick. The boat was somewhere under the ice between blind #34 and B-Zone. If by chance the bay opens up anytime soon, could someone let me know asap. Any help in the boat's recovery would be greatly appreciated. It is a 14ft aluminum with a 9.9 Mariner outboard. Also we lost about 60 decoys, mostly tanglefree, herters and toledo cans, reds and bills. A reward for the recovery of any of this equipment is being offered. Thanks in advance. Ron and Allan Smith

Hello Ron and Allan,

The temperatures have been mild all week and are going up even more later this week ... 9 degrees by Friday!

You may have an opportunity by this weekend.

I will let you know as soon as I see that the area in question has some open water. The boat launch at Big Creek is open as is the water extending out to the mouth of Big Creek and the open area has been getting larger every day this week.

Good luck.

Jerome

Ron Allan

Thankfully everyone ended up being safe after your nightmare on the bay. Any good news with the recovery efforts?

What ultimately went wrong with your plan to hunt and what did you learn from the experience that might help others in the future? I am not trying to make light of your harrowing encounter with wind, and weather but I think everyone can take something from this and apply it to our hunting and boating trips regardless of where we are and at what time of year it happens to be.

Jeff.

the boat and all the decoys were safely recovered today. i would like to thank kyle for all the help today and also buddy boy for the updates on the ice on the bay wich aided in the recovery of the boat, motor and decoys.

jeff as for what went wrong the wind was big but i have hunted in larger winds with no problem before. i am an experianced hunter and hunted the unite over thirty times this pass season with most of that hunting on the outside. it was a case of getting into the wrong spot with the boat in the wrong position. I shot my last duck and it carried into the middle of the bay i went with the boat to get the duck and forgot the landing net at the cottage that morning i reached over the side of the boat to recover the duck and the boat turned sideways, the first wave came over the side of the blind and started to swamp the boat and from that point on no matter how much the motor pushed the boat more water came in and down she went. The best advice i have for people is make sure you always have a cell phone on your body in a water proof case other than that know what weather you can hunt in safely.

thanks again to all involved allan smith

a bad day of hunting is better than a good day of work

Allan;

Thanks for the information and the tip with regard to the waterproof case for your phone. I hadn't thought about that aspect but a soaked cell is quite useless. Great to hear that you recovered your equipment . I recently sold my boat in favor of something bigger as I always keep an eye on the weather and for whatever reason the winds seem stronger and the waves bigger as I get older ....

Jeff.

ya jeff i hear you the only positive thing to come out of that episode is i think i finally have my wife covinced it time to get a bigger duck boat. she said it was that or stop duck hunting those of you that know me know which option i will go for:p

a bad day of hunting is better than a good day of work

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks