Boat Props

Joe Pesce

I assume, like myself, that most of you fisher people out there are confined to land due to the winds over the last 3 days so you might have some time to offer your opinion about what size of prop is best for a 19 ft. aluminum fishing vessel with an Evinrude 115 hp outboard. We fish all of Long Point Bay and the open lake as well as many smaller lakes. Is stainless steel a "nice to have" or a "no brainer"?

Bigger the pitch like a 21 more top end, lower the pitch more balls.
Stainless counts for racing performance.
Aluminium is cheaper and will give when you hit a rock or log and not damage the guts of the motor.

If you fish mostly the inner bay plus out to the lake stainless for sure. I run a four stroke Merc 115 with stainless prop pitch 18.

Standard prop for a 2 stroke in that size running around 5000 to 5500max rpm is likely an 18 pitch 14" prop you have to match a prop to max rpm with boat weight including average cargo etc more pitch better hole shot but risk of bigger load on the engine. For the average guy the standard prop is still your best bet for good performance with long engine life and good handling

Under 150 hp there's really not a significant difference in performance between aluminum and stainless. True a stainless prop is nice and flashy and is stronger but if you strike something solid it can do major damage to your lower unit gearing or worse the engine itself. In either case much more expensive than just changing an aluminum prop which by the way is about 1/3 the cost. The new aluminum props today perform far better than those of yesteryear.

Thanks for your thoughts. I noticed that my prop was probably not the best quality and am contemplating switching it out. I'm also have trouble planing out with full fuel and people.

Hey Joe before you go into your local shop asking for a prop, you should consider trying this. Look on the internet or in your manual for your exact motor and find out what the manufacturer states is the max. RPM for that motor. Then take your boat out on the lake on a calm day and after its warmed up put the petal down all the way and get the motor as fast as it will go. Use your trim and be sure it is at max. Record the RPM. It should be slightly below the manufacturers recomended max. rpm. Take this info into your dealer and he can then offer to sell you the right prop. From what I remember each drop in pitch size will increase rpm by about 300 rpm.

Better to be a Little under, not over. Believe me I know, cost me a motor when I was young and stupid.:banghead::D
Besides we are fisherman, not race boat drivers. Slow and steady wins the fish, something like that. One at a time is good fishin.(y)
Few miles an hour who cares.(y);)

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks