Off Topic BOAT LAUCH / MARINA GAS PRICES??

fishstalker

It would be nice to see prices posted like Gasbuddy.
Especially to support 6-8 Sponsors.
Fill up, support a 6-8 Sponsor

Difference in price is whether it is ethanol free. Marina shores contains ethanol ( I assume 87 octane ) I got gas two weeks ago at Sandboy , paid 1.30 and it is high test 92 octane . Posts marina is also ethanol free , and pretty sure the rest of the guys at the Old Cut are as well. High test is the only fuel available that doesn’t contain ethanol , but comes with a cost !

Don't assume gasoline from a service station that is high grade is always ethanol free. It can vary from brand to brand, and sometimes even within the same brand in different parts of the province.

I read that Ontario is soon to mandate 10% minimum ethanol (E-10) in in all octane blends including premium.
I'm no expert, but the way I read it is that suppliers need to maintain an average of 10%. This means that they could offset selling 0% ethanol by also selling blends higher than 10%. They also don't have to include marine gas in the math, meaning that there shouldn't be a restriction on gas sold solely for marine purposes.

The only places you can be assured the premium gas is ethanol free are Canadian tire, Shell and Costco. All others are questionable unless they are specifically buying and advertising no ethanol.

The only places you can be assured the premium gas is ethanol free are Canadian tire, Shell and Costco. All others are questionable unless they are specifically buying and advertising no ethanol.

Esso too. Actually Esso is the supplier for CT and Costco.

I have tested reserve gas for ethanol not that long ago and found none. This was 87 oct. Also being $0.90/L is nice.

I used to haul the stuff.

So much is tender storage and everybody lines up behind each other loading in the same racks, pulling from the same tanks. Only the additives were unique, so they claimed.

I'm sure there's situations where brand gas is just that, but I have loaded at Sunoco, Shell, Petro Canada and Esso and didn't deliver the load to one of their stations.

Esso too. Actually Esso is the supplier for CT and Costco.

I have tested reserve gas for ethanol not that long ago and found none. This was 87 oct. Also being $0.90/L is nice.
I always get my gas at Bear Creek Gas Station on the reserve just down the road from me. I asked them once about the ethanol and was told the regular 87 was E-10 but their 91 premium had no ethanol. I suppose it depends on which gas supplier different reserves use.

Yea and I'm guessing it could change at any time. I tested with the small glass jar with water method. It doesn't lie.

Put about an inch of water at the bottom of a small glass jar. Mark the water level with a sharpie. Put gas in the same jar, it will float on top of the water. If the gas contains ethanol, the ethanol will separate from the gas and mix with the water, making the water level appear to have risen. If the water level stays the same, ethanol free.

There are commercially made test kits which do the same thing but the amounts of gas and water are measured, so you can tell the ethanol percentage based on how much it has risen. I only cared to test for the presence of ethanol so I didn't measure the amounts.

Premium sourced out of Nanticoke (Imperial Oil) is ethanol free at this time. There is a project to move to 10% in the future. Nanticoke supplies all customers from Aylmer to Hamilton Mountain. Shell, PCan and Imperial each have terminals in the GTA, but there is a tremendous amount of fungible barrels in the GTA. Bottom line, Imperial Premium in this area is ethanol free.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks