Boat floor replacement

preacher

I am replacing the floor in my 17 footer and was wondering where the best place would be to find the materials.I need plywood,marine grade preferably, and I want to put down a non slip type of vinyl instead of the rug that was in there before. Would the marine dealers like Proctors be the place to go? Any suggestions would be a great help as this is the first floor replacement for me.

awhile back I was looking into info about doing floors and decks in boats. I had found a site (might have link if you pm me) and what was commonly said about pywood was that for floors and decks marine grade was overkill and expensive just passing on what I read . what they did say was stay away from pressure treated because it can react to things that can be found in boats. they also stated to ensure you coat all side of wood with a spar varnish to ensure long lasting.

now like I said just passing on some stuff I read I'm far from a guru on any of this

I maybe replacing floors in my 16 ft alum this spring also.

i replaced the floor in my 16 ft i just used 3/4 plywood varathaned it 2 times then tremclad 2 times it will last my life time i used rubber belt i had gotten when i did a job at pepsi its a lot better than rug even when wet its not slippery its real rubber not vinyl forty5goingon65

There's a guy in Delhi that has vinyl like is used around above ground pools. I bought the smooth version for the roof over my deck but he also has the bubbly version that I think will work good for what you want. You just glue it to the wood and I have lots of the glue left over from the roof. I'll go check the name of the glue and get back to you.

Stick

DSC00152.jpg

Proctors put new floor in my magnum 230 last year - they stock the marine lenolium which stands up really well

St Thomas Canvas has some pvc marine flooring in stock and will order any color you want , Prices are fair and service is good. I have used his stuff a couple of times and would not hesitate to recommend him. I am sure his number is in the book. Good luck.

Neptune

not sure where you are but this is the place you need...

http://www.noahsmarine.com/Canada/canada.html

anything you need and can think of boat building related they have it....and great advice too...used them extensively when replacing the floor on my old fiberglass Peterborough...let me tell you...the dirtiest job I've ever done...never do it again....I guess it is easier for aluminum boats...

Cheers,
Ice FIsherman

Exterior grade plywood and spahr varnish on all sides and in any holes you have to drill.this is what I have been told by a boat restoration place in the states when I was researching it .I will be doing mine when it warms up can't wait to get rid of the "astro turf" in my boat.

Shawnsavitar_psd-1-1.jpg

Funny, I too am in the middle of a winter over haul and am looking for some new flooring. Not by choice mind you. It seems that a Rat found my boat a fine place to call home for a couple week and did a fair amount of damage. After numerous failed attempts using traps, I had to poison it and rip the rear end apart in order to find the body before it started to rot. I am all ears if you find a place that sells good washable flooring.

Cambridge Canvas had rolls of flooring material that they said was used for RV's, but I used it on the floor of my 14' Lund when I decked the floor and it looks good and does a great job. It was super cheap, I picked up 80 or 90 feet of it, we put a layer of it down on the floors of our tents when we go moose hunting. When we get home, roll it out and pressure wash it. I think I only paid $75 for all of it. It gets slippery when it gets snow on it, so its not suitable for ice hut floors, otherwise I would have used it there as well.

Being a retired(forced with broken back)licensed carpenter, I replaced my own floor. I used 3/4" pressure treated, below grade plywood, which we use on exterior studded walls that come in direct contact with the earth below grade. Really good stuff and much cheaper that marine grade plywood. On top of that I laid rubber ice and water shield, used for roofing, which has adhesive on one side.(added insurance) It was run 6" up each side of the gunnels to prevent water seepage at the edges. The rubber membrane also seals the screw holes that hold down the two sleeper seats. And then I bought a piece of exterior grade carpet, which was cut to fit and ran 8" up each side to cover the ice and water shield. A little bit of carpet contact cement holds the carpet tight to the gunnels over top of the ice and water shield. It's been in place for a few years now and is holding up great, and still looks great too.

A few notes though;

Marine grade plywood has a smoother surface, so if you're going with vinyl, it may be better so check them both out.

Ice and water shield is ultra sticky, so precut and prefit BEFORE you remove the paper backing. Start from the transom area and overlap each strip by at least two inches as you work towards the front of the boat. Once I have each piece ready to place, I cut the paper in the middle and start from the centre of the boat working my way out first to the left, then back from centre out to the right peeling off only as much paper as needed.

Lastly, I found that brown carpet is usually best if you're a fisherman. Why? Blood dries to a brown colour and isn't as unsightly over the long haul. I am usually spent by the time I get home after an outing, therefore I have never cleaned the carpet(just the:) fish) in the entire time this carpet has been down and it still looks great after all those fishing trips with salmon and trout flopping at the transom.

I appreciate all the info and suggestions. If I wasn't undecided before I am now.I stopped at Proctors on the way home from work and looked at a paint that was designed for boat decks and it looks like it may not be a bad idea either. You can roll it on and make it rough or smooth and is supposed to wear good. Has anyone ever used this and if so how did you like it or how long does it last? Priced per square yard it is cheaper than vinyl and if you get a nick or cut in it you can just dab some more paint on it and carry on wher as vinyl or rug water can get under and sit on the wood and start the rotting process over again. Any ideas on this product?

Hey Preacher, lots of advice, all good but confusing. I did the floors in my 22 ft Crestliner last April in my shed. On the advice of HERITAGE MARINE in London I used 3/4 good 1 side ply. Using the old floor boards I traced and cut out the new ones. ( 6 pieces) Sand the edges and then I applied one good rolled on coat of fiberglass resin.( available at Heritage) Used less than 1 gallon. I then applied and glued on with outdoor carpet glue the Marine grade vinyl that I sourced from Heritage. His price then was $38.95 per yard. When buy this vinyl you actually get 2 yards for that price because a yard measures 36" by 72". When I screwed down the new floors to the boat I pre-drilled the holes and put a dab of marine grade silicone in the hole before the screw. I had never done anything like this before and the completed job looks very professional, all advice and tips came from the owner of Heritage... And ,,No I am not in any way affiliated with Heritage, he was just so helpful. Sorry for writing a novel and hope this helps. Cheers GPS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks