Boat Cover Material - Top Gun vs Sunbrella

Farnee

I just had someone come out to measure up my boat for a new cover. This is my first boat and it came with a custom made top gun cover. My boat sits in my driveway from the end of March until the beginning of November and it gets sun, from sun up till sun down. The boat is 9 years old and cover is showing its age (fading and splitting seams). The person making the cover suggested sunbrella might be a better choice than top gun. I was all set on top gun as I heard it was tougher, waterproof and lasted longer. They believe that a sunbrella cover will last longer. Being this is my first cover replacement, before I make my choice I wondered what everyone else thought about the choice of material. Thanks for weighing in.

Brad

I have a Top Gun travel cover that's been on 20 years and other than slight fading it's as tough as the day I got it. I also have a Sunbrella Bimini top which is no way as tough as the Top Gun not even close. Both have stood up well but I do keep my boat in the garage all year and only comes out when I go fishing. Being out in the elements all year can take a toll on any material no matter how tough. I would be very surprised if Sunbrella would outlast Top Gun exposed to the same conditions. In my opinion I can't see it. :)

Last edited:
My boat is gone till the end of the week getting a cover also and this is what I was told.
If your boat lives outside and trailered place to place all the time use top gun.
If it lives outside and doesn’t move or go far to use sumbrella.
Top gun has better long term durability but will fade faster than sunbrella but sunbrella will hold its colour better but the material is not as Durable for lots of traveling.

I’m getting top gun as mine lives outside and is trailered a lot.
Hope this helps.

2nd the Top Gun. It lasts for years, and is great with rain. Just had a new 1 this year after going 20 yrs.with the old one.

Biggest thing I can recommend no mater if using Top Gun or Sunbrella is to treat it annually with a high quality Fabric Guard such as 303 Marine Fabric Guard. While both Top Gun and Sunbrella say treating isn't necessary that is for the actual tarp material its self BUT a major failure of travel covers over the period of even just a few years is the stitching. I have been spraying my factory 2017 Lund travel cover made from TopGun since day one and it looks new and sits outside from Mid March until usually the end of December when Quinte freezes over. All looks new and the seams look as good as the day I got it and there is never a single drop of moisture making its way inside! I get the 303 from Amazon in a 6pack and costs aprox $90 and it usually takes aprox 2 bottles to treat the cover every spring.

As far as TopGun vs Sunbrella....I would have to say TopGun for a high quality breathable travel cover!

Ryan

I agree with quacker. More important is the stitching. The thread is where to spend $$. Also agree with 303 protect.
When my boat is going to sit for long periods i throw a cheap classic industries cover to keep sun off it.

I will be in the market for a cover next year. I haven't seen any discussion about what is advised if a boat will be sitting outside tied to a dock for the summer. What do you think is best hone?

sounds like your making a good choice with Top Gun Farnese, I've had sunbrella, and now Top gun is on my boat for last 6 years, still as good as day one.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks