Off Topic Boat cleaners

fishing or farming

R.O.C. (Radio Operator's Certificate)
Hi all,

What does everyone use to clean that green algae off their boat hull?

that time of year again šŸ˜£

I use Kleen-Strip muriatic acid. Spray it on (make sure you're wearing gloves and protective eye wear) and let it sit for 10-15 minutes then spray with pressure washer. I do about 1 square meter area at a time

Shoot! I tried em all and I can tell you, ā€œmagic eraserā€ beats all of the sprays hands down! Takes a little more effort but not much!

I do the toilet bowl cleaner mixed 50/50 with 3% hydrogen peroxide. Put in a Windex spray bottle shake up and apply on 3' x 3' areas at a time. Let sit for a few minutes or longer if needed, scrub if really heavy then hose or pressure wash off. My trailer is painted and never had any problems with the paint as I rinse thoroughly after applying to haul and again when rinsing. My haul is fibreglass. Cheap and very effective.

well all you guys are worried about cleaning the bottom of your boat i have a different cleaning issue--- spider poop.I have a covered slip and in the last week they have rained on my fiberglass boat. most household cleaners do not touch this stuff..Any suggestions that will not effect the gel coat???

heres my suggestion as starbrite brand has been around a long time..I used to own a nice fibreglass hull gel coat and used an effective fibreglass creme stain remover ...its not available today..click and read the fine print on those ones below..

heres another starbrite cleaner
1632364531037.png

Last edited:
well all you guys are worried about cleaning the bottom of your boat i have a different cleaning issue--- spider poop.I have a covered slip and in the last week they have rained on my fiberglass boat. most household cleaners do not touch this stuff..Any suggestions that will not effect the gel coat???
Iā€™m a Certified Crop Advisor, Iā€™ve studied and worked with insecticides in agriculture. The #1 thing I can tell you is that insecticides do not work for spiders. The chemistry is meant for 6 legged insects and not 8 or more legged ones (centipede). I can tell you that there are products available for persons of agriculture to treat fields but vinegar and essential oils (peppermint, anything from the company sage šŸ˜‚) are your least harmful bet.
Hope this helps

won't it ruin any trailer?
I dont know for sure. I got it on a few spots of my galvanized. It does not remove it all but I wont risk it again. Boat trailer is a roller. I can get the 24 footer off on blocks and back on with an electric winch. Not that hard if you know how.

Ive been using Slimy Grimy for years and find it works for me with no scrubbing, except at waterline. I always mix it with hot water and it seems to work best.

I have a tub of this stuff and for :poop: and šŸ˜„ I'm going to give it a whirl.

I'll post the results and what I think after the fact.

I have used every cleaner ,and nothing is better than slimy grimy . Get a cheap little sprayer and mix it with hot water. My boat is in the water for at least 5 months so it gets pretty grungy . The crap just runs off with no scrubbing , miss a spot just do it again , rinse off with a regular hose . The only place you have to scrub is the water line . You can buy the stuff at Proctor Marine and all the rest of the Longpoint area marinas . Itā€™s not cheap but goes a long way .

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks