Off Topic Bluewater anglers salmon derby

Alby

R.O.C. (Radio Operator's Certificate)
Anybody planning on entering this year and dies anyone knkw bes place to launch will be first time going thx in advancr

Conservation area in port franks has decent launch and is free during derby. Hopefully river debris is gone. They dug a lot of sand out at rivermouth this year

Conservation area in port franks has decent launch and is free during derby. Hopefully river debris is gone. They dug a lot of sand out at rivermouth this year
Thanks

Looking forward to it this year, they Covid cancelled last year! Conservation ramp was closed last spring only open to residents, needed a code to open the gate. They really discouraged out of towners from using facilities including the beach, hope that changes this year. Would love to hear from any locals on this! Alternative is the ramp at the mouth of the river which can be a gong show, and parking is limited, or decent facilities at Grand Bend! Good luck to all who are fishing the derby!

Christines The ramp at mouth of river in port franks has really deteriorated in last 3 years. Christines bar and grill has been closed a few years now and very little upkeep on launch is done. I have not used it for years. There is another launch at kettle point which a lot of fisherman use. You can look it up on internet R &R marina I have never used it since I was right in port franks. All the best to you fishing the Derby. Really glad to see they are planning on having it this year. Start April 29.

Christines The ramp at mouth of river in port franks has really deteriorated in last 3 years. Christines bar and grill has been closed a few years now and very little upkeep on launch is done. I have not used it for years. There is another launch at kettle point which a lot of fisherman use. You can look it up on internet R &R marina I have never used it since I was right in port franks. All the best to you fishing the Derby. Really glad to see they are planning on having it this year. Start April 29.
When fishing that part of Lake Huron with @Mickey Finn, we have used both ramps below. R&R is a little closer to the deep water.

Port Franks Conservation Area:

R&R (Kettle Point):

Here's a link to the Blue Water Anglers' Derby Ticket Site:

Last edited:
Hey stomp how far out did you run from R&R’s, looking at the chart I’m thinking at least 4.5-5 miles ? Does that sound about right?

Hey stomp how far out did you run from R&R’s, looking at the chart I’m thinking at least 4.5-5 miles ? Does that sound about right?
That sounds right @Dmanwithnoname ... give Kettle Point a wide berth, right @Mickey Finn . A @bosco - provided SIMRAD screen shot might give you an idea. Look for the structure out there.

index.php

Last edited:
I spoke with a buddy you lives in a port Franks and the Consevstion area ramp will likely be closed again this year, code access, until May 24. I think it’s slowly becoming a gated community, no wonder there’s no upkeep at Christinas ramp! I think these policies have economic consequences, but I guess that’s up to the locals to decide!, I live 20 minutes away and have been going to PF for over 40 years, sad to see what’s happening! I felt guilty sneaking on the beach last summer for an early morning swim! The derby folks might want to consider relocating the weigh in station to Grand Bend!
Sorry for the off topic rant!
Good luck fishing!

I live in Port Franks, a few things,
- the Conservation ramp was in fact open last spring and not gated till late May
- the gate was installed in late May, once the gate was installed you either needed a key fob to get in or you needed to wait till 8am for the gate to be manned.
- The Port Franks beach is private and is owned by the PFBHA. They are in fact installing fencing and gates this year as last year it was over run with "out of towners". The beach is for Port Franks residence and guests only and has been since 1977.
- There is no economic impact by restricting beach access, there are no businesses that benefit from the beach being overcrowded in Port Franks.
- Illegal parking this year will result in a very steep ticket, last year it was $65, this year we expect (waiting on final decision) it will be over $150.
- Moving the weigh station would be supported by many who live here, not me, but a lot of people are complaining about the speed in which the trucks towing large boats are going etc... it would be no skin of their teeth to have it moved.
- The river mouth was dredged by machinery from Chicken Island this past Jan/Feb they were not able to get out to the sandbar that forms where you turn north. I have my concerns if it will be deep enough there this spring. The Northside which is the boat that typically does the dredging is in dry dock for repairs... concerning

Christina’s bar use to be hoping, there use to be a restaurant and change house down at the mouth of the old river, Mud Creek trail, we use to go to the beach all the time! I think there’s houses there now! it’s sad that beach access is limited to those that can afford a cottage or house not just in Port Franks but everywhere. Everybody wants there own peace of heaven and restrict access to the water that everyone loves. I’m not sure how we got there but it is what it is. Maybe the fencing and gates should be installed at Mcphersons.
Apparently the lake levels are down this year so hopefully the dredging works, not just for the locals but other that may want to access the lake!

I Have lived 500’ from the path to the beach along the mud creek, all my life. There was a motel, with a large parking area and they (Heinz and Helga) ran the Sandy Bar (restaurant, really just a snack bar). I worked there in the 80s. I do not remember any change house? Port Franks is changing from a cottage community to a retirement community/ and remote workers etc. Massive changes over the 51 years I’ve been around.
if there was a way to put gates at McPhearsons it would be done. Lol

I Have lived 500’ from the path to the beach along the mud creek, all my life. There was a motel, with a large parking area and they (Heinz and Helga) ran the Sandy Bar (restaurant, really just a snack bar). I worked there in the 80s. I do not remember any change house? Port Franks is changing from a cottage community to a retirement community/ and remote workers etc. Massive changes over the 51 years I’ve been around.
if there was a way to put gates at McPhearsons it would be done. Lol
Wow... do you know Johnny Kristiansen @rastam4n ?

Please tell us when those Pt. Franks Chinook start turning on.

Wow... do you know Johnny Kristiansen @rastam4n ?

Please tell us when those Pt. Franks Chinook start turning on.

I went to school with two Kristiansen sisters? They lived up by the "Harbourside" I also worked there, and I worked at "The 4 Corners Store" in fact my family and I leased it for a couple of years. I also pumped gas at McPhearson's between peeling potatoes....lol

I was thinking about giving it a go this year but all this drama about the launching is not very appealing.....

I was thinking about giving it a go this year but all this drama about the launching is not very appealing.....
I'm not sure about the dredging this year at Pt. Franks, but it's never been an issue for us launching at either spot listed above.

I don’t think there is any launch drama, definitely beach drama but that shouldn’t affect us..

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks