Blaze Orange

Magnum 3

So I'm considering buying an upland vest or jacket . But I'm a little confused confused as to what is really legal . I was under the impression we needed something like a minimum of 800 sq. inches , that was visible from always .So then I see (for example ) a pheasant vest / jacket which has patches of orange front and back , places over say a canvas material . But it appears ( not sure ) as though there is more of the regular material , than the orange material showing . I also saw ,what appeared to be a blaze vest , that looked more like one of those turkey setups ( a harness ,for a lack of a better word ) , which looked like it should be worn over something else . And finally ,I saw one store having an actual brand name blaze ( safety ) orange hunting vest . It had a larger bag in the back along with a couple deeper pockets up front . This unit looked to meet requirements but I'm just not liking the companies putting snaps on the back bags as I've had mine come open on several occasions . Now the question is . are all of the styles legal to use along with an orange hat ?

Check the 2020 Reg's . page 28 righthand side. It clearly states that blaze orange be worn by all hunters, bow hunter, falconers, bear hunters and trappers hunting under their trapping licence during a gun season for deer, elk or moose but does not apply to persons who are hunting migratory game birds except Woodcock. It also states a garment and head cover be worn and the garment be at least 400 square inches and visible from all sides worn above the waist. It goes on to describe the head cover but I won't bore you with that no brainer .

Hope that helps ? There are good quality vests out there but they won't be cheap.

As a side note; I once hunted a game bird farm where it was a "must do"... no orange , no hunt rule.

Check the 2020 Reg's . page 28 righthand side. It clearly states that blaze orange be worn by all hunters, bow hunter, falconers, bear hunters and trappers hunting under their trapping licence during a gun season for deer, elk or moose but does not apply to persons who are hunting migratory game birds except Woodcock. It also states a garment and head cover be worn and the garment be at least 400 square inches and visible from all sides worn above the waist. It goes on to describe the head cover but I won't bore you with that no brainer .

Hope that helps ? There are good quality vests out there but they won't be cheap.

As a side note; I once hunted a game bird farm where it was a "must do"... no orange , no hunt rule.
Well just for s**** and giggles , go onto the Sail site ( was just on there ) and you will see , what I think is a vest w/ canvas as the main material and orange on the front shoulder area ( doesn't give a back shot where they list there is a zippered game bag ) . $139 . Now assuming , when I call, they say yes to the back bag being all orange , do you think that covers enough in the front to be legal . I am going to ask , but it doesn't necessarily will mean they are right or just speculating , unless there is something in the package that says it meets requirements .

And I think it is a given on game farms , to where orange .

Well just for s**** and giggles , go onto the Sail site ( was just on there ) and you will see , what I think is a vest w/ canvas as the main material and orange on the front shoulder area ( doesn't give a back shot where they list there is a zippered game bag ) . $139 . Now assuming , when I call, they say yes to the back bag being all orange , do you think that covers enough in the front to be legal . I am going to ask , but it doesn't necessarily will mean they are right or just speculating , unless there is something in the package that says it meets requirements .
That’s the problem you’re shopping at sail lol

There is all kinds of blaze orange or some kind of orange and/or cammo orange but there is only the MNR's definition of "hunter orange" and how it applies that is we need to pay attention to. Those fancypants shooting vests are quite stylish and no doubt functional under the right circumstances but the law is the law.

As a disclaimer my post about the Reg's and Hunter Orange was almost verbatim hence my directions so you can look it up yourself.

BTW; of most concern read the part about Hunter Orange "must" be worn during a gun season for deer, elk or moose. That explains the fancy vests and when you can wear them as opposed to the mandatory 400 sq. inches plus hat.

Last edited:
I know in the past MNR patrols out during the controlled deer hunts checking everything...and giving out big fat fines...honestly Mark an upland game vest with orange and camo and your asking for trouble...just a reminder to fellow hunters alot of these laws revolves around hunter safety and public safety..

Last edited:
I believe the regulations say if a big game gun season (deer bear moose elk) is NOT open you can hunt small game with no blaze orange at all. That might not be a smart idea, but it is not illegal. So in this situation there is no law saying you must have a specified amount of blaze orange to hunt upland small game (grouse, woodcock, rabbits, etc). I learned a long time ago to not hunt with my Brittanys for grouse during the gun hunt for deer.

Alright, read through all comments. You are looking at comparing an upland bird hunter's vest to what is legally obligated by MNR for big game regulations. Two very different ideaology's.

derkd and longpointer quoted "hunter orange" and i agree with that quote too..lol

Be safe ! Be seen ! That's how I go into the woods come Fall. I have nieghbours that I let bow hunt on my sections but have come across people that shouldn't have been there also. I don't want to be somebodies accident. I even have a blaze orange vest for my dog !

At least we all agree ... safety first !

IMO the orange regulations are open to interpretation in some cases. "Under this regulation, all licensed hunters, including archery hunters hunting during the gun season for deer and moose, are required to wear hunter orange.". Does this mean ALL hunters, including say squirrel hunters, or all hunters hunting deer? You could read it either way. Me personally I take it as those hunting deer. If I was hunting squirrels or pheasants I would wear my upland vest which has orange as well but not the 400sq inches required for big game.

Better safe than dead, if I’m going into the woods whether im Hunting or not during a rifle season for any big game I want to be easily seen by other people in the woods that are hunting. Generally just a few weeks that you have to take extra precaution

I know in the past MNR patrols out during the controlled deer hunts checking everything...and giving out big fat fines...honestly Mark an upland game vest with orange and camo and your asking for trouble...just a reminder to fellow hunters alot of these laws revolves around hunter safety and public safety..
Hey the jacket is just a thought Mick . I just questioned the validity to using one as some do . For one thing , should I buy ,I wanted something that was light enough ( perhaps breathable ) , cause after my overheating problem last spring during the turkey hunt , I don't want a melt down . The other problem for me anyway , is bush pushing can get a little abrasive as you well know and I've chewed up more than one or two hoodies and quilted jackets working thickets . Although that canvas jacket would probably do the trick , I think I'd be skinning it off pretty quick if the temp . ( or at least my temp. ) starts to rise . I'm guessing , in the end , it will be another vest with a better setup . I've always wore them . It's just a matter of person taste and safety , that will decide it for me .

its the manufacturers that produce vests that are non compliant hunter orange.. getting big game hunters into trouble...
Ya i have a few different sized nylon hunter orange vests..the ones that fit over hunting jackets and coats..I use my XL the most bear and deer huntin..

That’s the problem you’re shopping at sail lol
Well Derek as far as Sail goes . It's not my go to place to shop . But for me , when they have it and my local guys doesn't , in a pinch , it's closer than BP or Cabelas for me . If I need it , I'm going . And I can also pick up the phone and dial toll free to the store of choice , to verify they have it , where as after calling BP to verify and hold , I've got burned for 3 - 1 1/2 hr. trips ( one way ) , just to find out , not only did they not hold it , they never had it in the first place .... but it was on sale and you said . No been there , done that . I prefer the local guys hands down , but if time is a factor ... If those other places work for you , great . I just needed an example to use for the question .

its the manufacturers that produce vests that are non compliant hunter orange.. getting big game hunters into trouble...
Ya i have a few different sized nylon hunter orange vests..the ones that fit over hunting jackets and coats..I use my XL the most bear and deer huntin..
I've never actually owned a hunter orange jacket . Everyone I've seen has been lined and I generally like to layer up instead . Guess that's my reason for vests .

Well Derek as far as Sail goes . It's not my go to place to shop . But for me , when they have it and my local guys doesn't , in a pinch , it's closer than BP or Cabelas for me . If I need it , I'm going . And I can also pick up the phone and dial toll free to the store of choice , to verify they have it , where as after calling BP to verify and hold , I've got burned for 3 - 1 1/2 hr. trips ( one way ) , just to find out , not only did they not hold it , they never had it in the first place .... but it was on sale and you said . No been there , done that . I prefer the local guys hands down , but if time is a factor ... If those other places work for you , great . I just needed an example to use for the question .
All good I was mostly kidding
I went to sail once didn’t like it. Crappy tire has some Yukon gear cheap ones

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks