Black Bear "CRACK BAITS"

Puddle Jumper

Not sure if anyone does
DIY bear baiting
But here are some tips that might help

I HUNT 900-1000 km away from my baits
So I don't have luxury of pre baiting and don't use pails or barrels.

Since we usually bait and hunt at same time in a 7 -14 day period

We use what my friends and I call
CRACK BAITS
chunks of hard chocolate icing
Chunks of hard toffee
Cup of sugar
1/4 cup ? Of molasses

Put in White kitchen size garbage bag
And hang at head height

Spray area down and trail / path back to logging road with Maple syrup, liquid smoke, or cherry syrup. CALL BAIT MORE IMPORTANT THAN HANG BAITS

AT entrance of trail ( at logging road)
Hang couple strips of rags from tree branch coat them with syrup...so smell travels down logging road and bears find your trail.

If your bait isn't hit in 3 days ....move it to new spot

We have had great success with this method
20190429_125342.jpg20190429_124137.jpg20190429_122559.jpg20190429_120243.jpg20190429_122603.jpg

In what area do you hunt these bears ? The camp (cabin) made of wood ? Tent would not be my home.

WMU 26
PIERRE LAKE AREA
1.5 HR drive from nearest town (1 hr past cell service)

My Uncle is a member in a lodge near Cochrane. I could and used to stay there ...but got sick of driving 1 - 1.5 hrs to get into good fishing ....so I started camping (tent ) and had a base camp slash shore lunch spot for group going back and forth from lodge.
After couple years of shit weather I now take a 18 ' camper trailer (got boats up there) and set up a 12×12 or 10x20 canopy

Pictures are of last year's camp

Sounds like a great time, that much fun I can't take anymore. Enjoy and have a good hunt.

Thanks guys .

It's along way to go for sure.
But the further you go away from towns or people .. the more wild life you see and usually the better fishing.

I have personally had 100 walleye dàys
I averàge seeing 10 -15 different bears while baiting. And usually 2-3 wolfs.

And my friend that I bait for has shot 3 bears in last 2 years up there.

I agree @Puddle Jumper...its definately worth every litre of fuel to head way north and have beautiful crown land to yourself....my cabin is a 13 hour drive..yep.. lots of wildlife wolves, lynx bears moose...and its nice & peaceful..the only noise I usually hear is the cranes nesting...I have yet to use my predator call on a sit...maybe someday..

it sounds like your headin up a few days before the walleye opener?...ya we know our latitude produces 750+ black bears...biggest i seen was 2 seasons ago well over 500 ..last season seen a monster sow with 4 little cubs..now that was rare and it tells the story of the quality in size...

Ya Mick
I'm heading up before walleye opener.
Allows me too get a prime crownland campsite....and gives me time to set camp and setup my bear baits.

Pike is open year round as well as lake trout on a near by lake

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks