Big Jon planer board mast

Three Bouys

R.O.C. (Radio Operator's Certificate)
Two years ago I installed a dual electric planer board mast. Late last year just before pulling the boat the one electric motor was tripping reset on the switch.
Never got around to it during the winter in my heated shop to investigate the issue.
Last week before the tournament I thought I best check the mast. Same thing as last year tripping the reset and now it’s happening to both both motors.
Got my multimeter out checking the connections and everything is fine until I plugged them. Thinking maybe it is seized. Tested the motor leads and not a good sign as it was faulting out.
Pulled the mast today to see what’s happening.
Took the end cap off the motor and water came out. Not a good sign🤬
Called Big Jon and there’s nothing they can do other than sell me another motor at $210 US funds.
That’s not going to happen, being a retired millwright and rebuilt many electric motors, so this isn’t new to me
From what I can figure out, rain water has wicked itself through where the wires go through the housing.
Good thing the boat sat in the heated shop this past winter or I would be buying 2 new motors.
B086E61B-1D4B-4A05-B46B-EE7622E9C145.jpeg52B98442-5E40-4A8C-A2D3-11136ED39633.jpegBD78EDD9-0AE1-4FEC-BE57-893BBBE45F7D.jpeg

I had the same thing on my Panther kicker lift, but had to pay someone to fix the motor. I was unable to separate the motor body from the gear drive, and having had bad experiences with percussive maintenance in the past, decided to let someone else fix it.

Those riveria automatic spring loaded are looking with every post I see like this, how old were the big Jon’s?

That looks bad, do they not have seals to prevent water from entering @Three Bouys? Pretty bad engineering design if it doesn't considering they are out in all kinds of weather. :(

That looks bad, do they not have seals to prevent water from entering @Three Bouys? Pretty bad engineering design if it doesn't considering they are out in all kinds of weather. :(
The only seal they use is silicone @Wave Runner around the entry of the wires and end cap and side cap to access the gears. No “O” rings or even gaskets are used. I’ve worked on many electrical motors that at least use one one or the other, but silicone????? If I rebuild these there will be a small weep hole in the end cap for drainage.

The only seal they use is silicone @Wave Runner around the entry of the wires and end cap and side cap to access the gears. No “O” rings or even gaskets are used. I’ve worked on many electrical motors that at least use one one or the other, but silicone????? If I rebuild these there will be a small weep hole in the end cap for drainage.
Silicone o_O ... well that certainly tells us something about Big Jon doesn't it? :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Too bad I’m looking for a boat to have riggers on, but if that’s the case Big Jon is out- I thought they made tournament stuff?

Unfortunately all the planner board motors are basically the same and all have issues...Cisco, TraxTech and they are basically just junk Chinese wiper motors. There are a few motor part #'s flying around online for replacements but in the end there isn't much better out there and the reason for the 6months warranty is due to well...their motor source only warranting them for that time or none at all!

Unfortunately all the planner board motors are basically the same and all have issues...Cisco, TraxTech and they are basically just junk Chinese wiper motors. There are a few motor part #'s flying around online for replacements but in the end there isn't much better out there and the reason for the 6months warranty is due to well...their motor source only warranting them for that time or none at all!
Thanks Ryan for that info, but it’s still a shame for not quite 2 years use and not used all the time. It’s diffently rain water seeping in through the wire connection. I’ve disassemble the other motor as well and it’s the same if not worse.

Double boat house?? lol... I'd be pissed... Did you go any higher then just the contact #?

Thanks Ryan for that info, but it’s still a shame for not quite 2 years use and not used all the time. It’s diffently rain water seeping in through the wire connection. I’ve disassemble the other motor as well and it’s the same if not worse.
Well I guess the good old manual cranks are the way to go.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks