bayfield river

jayway

I went to Bayfield yesterday and sat on the dock down river from the bridge with a perfect view of all the fisherman on the other side of the bridge.
Being new to trout fishing i was really trying to pay attention to what guys were doing so i could hopefully hook into a fish.

I noticed almost everybody chumming with eggs like a carp fisherman does with corn.
Is it legal to chum? i cant imagine it is.

I did not catch anything with my egg sinker rig with row but there was lots of fish caught.
Fingers crossed i hook up one of these trips this year.

don't forget worms that what i caught my coho on and a blue and silver little cleo is a good lure

It is unfortunitely legal... Such a waste of eggs imo. People kill fish just for chumming purposes.

Good luck on your next outing. Talk to people who are hooking up, they will more than likely give you adivce as well.

DSCF1466.jpg

Well i skunked her out again on the Bayfield.
Sat there for hours, even had a guy walk up beside me and slam one second cast on a 3 inch sinking rapala.

Im just not ment to be a trout fisherman.
I did see a guy catch a nice Crappie off the dock though, next trip to bayfield might be a slip bobber tube jig and a 5 gallon pail.

hi jay good to see keep trying we were all rookies at one time, u can get alot of info from the fishermen who are fishing there.i have always had good luck with a slip sinker and floating roe. hang in there

A buddy of mine was there 2 days ago, he said the water was so low he didnt even get his pole out of the truck! This dry summer we just had is making things tough on the fish.....

quote:
Originally posted by Fish Bones

A buddy of mine was there 2 days ago, he said the water was so low he didnt even get his pole out of the truck! This dry summer we just had is making things tough on the fish.....

odd, i've heard from many people that this year has been excellent so far on most tribs and it will only get better.

Its only picked up in the last week or so, due to the first good rain. Its been a slow start compared to last year up there.

DSCF3054.jpg

Hey Jay don't give up buddy it's just starting bud...in most cases when the levels are low the bows will hold up running because of survival, the water is still warm and over the next week it should pop cause of the rain forecast.I would re tool your presentation and watch and learn...that's the only way. It took me 3 years to land my first bullet!
I didn't drift fish roe. Try hitting the maitland, st.clair river, or piers at the rivermouth and toss cleos, #3 mepps (silver for clear water,copper for murky)drift fish these to a depth of 3 feet or so with the current just like roe and hold on !!!!I just landed a 5 lber on st.clair drifting a j-11 and all the roe fisherman got skunked!My best success is with spoons and mepps....hope this helps...good luck

Thanks,
i really appreciate all the tips.
My boss and i are calling it early today and we are going to try somewhere a little closer to home on an Erie river.
Does Catfish Creek get any action

Catfish closed Sept. 30 for bows and salmon.

Stick

DSC00152.jpg

"Rivers are living things, sometimes swollen and discoloured, other times thin and anaemic. Spend enough time around a particular river, you learn to read its moods, like a spouse reads a partner."

Gord Ellis ONTARIO OUT OF DOORS

thanks stick that would have sucked.
i tried my luck around Norfolk county, skunked again but beautiful walk along the river down there.
How do you present your bait in such shallow water. i couldnt get a cast off without spooking them

Ya, was at Bayfield during this past week. Water level very low. Also no fish activity, however the colder weather and rains will bring action, as I've seen this in the past.

Well bobo you are probably right if your fishing small rivers that are less than 20' wide and the runs are less than 3' deep but when I drift fish , your numbers are way off bud... there are more ways to catch bows than just drifting roe...I think some tech advice on drifting (weight, presentation,leader, leader length, hook size) etc.. might be more advised than saying roe outfishes lures 100 times to one...the advice given was only an option and conversely, maybe you haven't heard of drifting artificial or have any idea the success it brings... this technique is designed for certain conditions but covers more water and has outfished roe 50 : 1 for me...

Well you must be 1 out of 100 who does well with lures. Next time your at the Bayfield river and see a fisherman with a center pin catching one rainbow after another, go over and ask what he is using. 99 % chance he will say roe. It's great you use lures and I'm sure you catch lots of fish, but to suggest that the anything artificial could compare to using fresh roe,especially this time of year, is just not correct and misleading.

Drove to the maitland yesterday.
Shamefully skunked again. I threw spinners, spoons, row.
I saw some really nice fish taken though, enough to keep me interested.
I really had a hard time with how close people get to you there.
Anyways that first one will be sweet when it comes.

Jayway
If you want try an erie trib you could try the big otter below tillsonburg it s open until the end of dec.
Lazyman

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks