Bass Opener June 23 2012

Bassmaster

After the wicked heat we all had to endure this week, this morning's cool temps were a welcome relief! :p

Anyhooo Packrat and Ollie showed up just after 6am, I hopped in the van and after getting some minnows we headed off to the Grand River in search of smallies.

Things started off a bit slow, I got a small bass right off the hop but Packrat and Ollie outnumbered me this year 8D Between the three of us we brought home about 8 or 9 smallies.

Now on to the interesting tidbit :D I bought a package of floating jig heads 2 weeks ago. This place we were at is known for swallowing your hooks and lures etc.

After I got snagged for the 6th or 7th time I switched to said floating jig head. Took a bit of fine tuning but I was eventually rewarded with a hefty smallmouth who smashed the jig tipped with a minnow that had been suspended off bottom.

It didn't always prevent me from getting snagged, a couple of fish had run right into the rocks and nothing you can do about that.

However I'm now sold on these floating jigs ;)

100_0278.jpg

BM, I found floaters quite a few years ago fishing for walleye in northern lakes. As you said, it keeps you presentation just off the bottom. Any time I need to tap bottom they are my weapon of choice.

Steve

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks