bankes boats

D.A.L

Are they still around?
Looking to get a 14' Dominator

Hello DAL,

I heard from someone in the United States that he had heard that Ron had closed his business. I was then told from someone in the Real Estate business that Ron did have his business up for sale but that he was not sure of the current status of his business at the time.

I nearly bought a Dominator back in 2009 but then decided upon an Ocean 15 from Duck Water Boats ... check them out. You will be pleased with either a Bankes Boat or a Duck Water Boat depending upon whether you want a fiberglass boat or an aluminum boat.

Jerome

Best to Call Ron and ask for yourself. He will I am sure answer any questions on future boat production but I know the team is laying up boats every day at present.

Did get in touch with them. Yes they are building the larger boats right now...destined for the U.S.
They're buzy till the new year....and then maybe.

Hello DAL,

I went to meet a guy in the State of New York (east of Buffalo) and he took me out on Lake Ontario in his "Drone 15" during some rather unpleasant weather.

The harbour master told me that I could not go out on the lake when I paid him the $5.00 for the boat launch but then he saw the boat ... he could not believe what he was looking at and said "you will not have a problem with that".

Needless to say that we had no problems with the boat in the 3 foot waves that were forecasted for Lake Ontario ... even "ass end" to the waves.

I wanted to see how his boat would react to the waves in an emergency if the motor was to "crash" so he "killed" the engine and let us float about ... no problems.

Jerome

PS The "Drone 15" (larger versions had different names) was subsequently renamed the "Ocean 15" (larger versions were now all "Ocean" boats followed by the size).

Thanks for your input Jerome. The ocean 15 is a bit too much boat for me. I've also moved off on the Dominator....both are more money then I thought I was willing to spend on a hull. I have decided, and I'm lined up to buy, a used TDB 14 Classic out of the U.S.
I'm not a big lake hunter, but could easily pick decent days at long point, lake st. Claire, or cooks bay on simcoe. Luther marsh will be my main haunt.

You have provided great info for others nonetheless I'm sure! Thanks a bunch!

Hello DAL,

The Bankes "Dominator" (14 Foot) and the Duck Water "Ocean 15" are both superb boats for two (2) hunters and a dog. I nearly bought a Dominator back in 2009 but ran into a "snag" with the size of my garage ... not the boat.

You will be fine with a "TDB 14 Classic" as I looked into them as well back in 2006. I believe that they had a fire at their factory in the State of Maine and they never rebuilt the factory after that fire.

Jerome

Hey DAL, do you hunt Luther much? In low water years it can be challenging with even a light tin boat. I know those boats have a pretty shallow draft but still must be kinda heavy. Something to think about.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks